Stereo surround disassembly.

Ian.D

VIP Member
Hi everyone, I'm new to the T6 having just recently collected mine, as per usual there are a lot of things I want to do , I have bought all the vents and sections on the dashboard to then spray up to the gloss black finish that is in the Caravelle. My concern is the air vents on the stereo surround, it is easy removing the outer pair, but the inner vents have different connectors on the inner side and I don't want to damage them trying to lever them away. If it's an impossible job then masking them over will be my only choice. I just wondered if anyone else had got them off. Thanks for your help if there is any. I have hunted the web but to no avail.

If you have bought the vent to spray , how come you didn't buy them gloss black .

If you have bought the vent to spray , how come you didn't buy them gloss black .
Hi, well I bought both the air vents, the dash surround and the centre stereo surround plus the heating/air con surround from a local salvage yard for a very small sum and I've refinished previous in car trims before using the correct cleaners, abrasives and filler primers then top coated and then lacquered that have looked fantastic , so I didn't want to throw money into something I can do (I'm a carpenter and joiner that loves anything different and artistic) So for less than an eighth of the purchase cost I can achieve the look, I may yet finish them in a different colour to black, but who knows , plus I may yet make a lid for the top open compartment with hidden hinges as like many others I don't like the reflection of the items there on the screen.

Unfortunately it's not the removal of the actual surround I m struggling with. It is taking off the actual vents connected to the rear of the surround, on the side ones they have a T shaped lug that you lever outward then slide the vent through, this is in 4 places. It is fairly easy. The unfortunate blighters in the middle have 3 of those on the outside, but they have around six posts with sections slid into the middle, now, if I felt brave I would just push a screwdriver in and then twist each and every one to see if they are just snug ( I doubt that very much...lol) they probably clip in or they would just wear loose in time. I just wondered if anyone had found the solution. I will keep looking...Thanks for the links though.

Back