Step / Guide / dumping ground to Lining, Sound-Deadening and Insulating

Very nice work, you really take some pride in what you do. Thanks for the advice I will definitely bare that in mind, it's always worth paying a bit more if you get the quality in return.

Although saying that, is dynamat really worth the cost over silent coat?

When you line the interior metal work, to avoid joins, do you do it in one go then cut out into the voids. If so I assume there is a lot of waste.

we do line all the metal work and cut into the voids.
We also mask off extensively (notice the distinct lack of glue overspray in the pic) and prep the van to get the best possible bond for the contact adhesive.

I have no idea what all the hype around dynamat is for??? I have been a drummer for about 20 years and therefore understand a thing or two about resonance from solid surfaces. I have conducted tests using an iphone app that measures sound pretty accurately by applying soundproofing materials to the side of a large metal filing cabinate then striking the side with a bass drum pedal (this is by no means a controlled expirement) but did give me a good way of comparing the products for my own purposes.
Silent coat, skinz, and dynamat gave virtually the same result 4mm silent coat was superior to skinz and dynamat. I can only assume that with dynamat being an american company it gets slapped with import duty that silent coat avoids due to it being a european company hence the price difference.
After the test we started using 4mm silent coat on the wheel arches and in the doors and 2mm everywhere else. I'm sure @Thogg will give you the low down on what sort of effect this has on his van when he gets it back!

4mm in doors and wheel arches and 2mm everywhere else, what sort of coverage are you doing? 100%? 75%? 50%?

As someone who has read as many threads as possible and purchased a box of silent coat but not yet applied I'm very curious as to what your professional recommendation for a budget diy job would be! I've got 2mm at the moment and was thinking 50% application on sides, roof, doors and arches, but a further purchase of 4mm for arches and doors wouldn't break the bank. Do you also do the floor?

Keep an eye on our step by step of thoggs van this next week. All will be revealed.

I have used silent coat on my car And van. 4mm on the larger panels. Used to be called Stp maxmat. Love the stuff.

Hi Slidepods. Loving your work , soon to start lining my van sound deading nearly done . My question is (if your happy to tell ) is before you start to glue the carpeting do you ruff up the paint work with a grading sand paper etc to help the the glue addhering to the paint work? Thanks for your thoughts. Stampie

Yes. But not all over. Only in a couple of places where the carpet requires quite a lot of stretch to be formed into all the nooks and crannies.

I'm looking forward to this thread too, of you could do a YouTube video too you would be the go to video for all future carpeting threads. I've just started removing trims ready to do mine. Do you remove door seals or just carpet into them?

Keep an eye on Thoggs lining thread. All will be revealed with some useful tips and tricks to boot.

@Stampie66 sod the carpet, what about the Astro turf, don't tell me too many cats and dogs in your area that would use it and leave presents?

Carpet = Hoover, her indoors WOULD complain!

Right I need some reassurance here....
So I've started to ready the Panel van for camping around europe as well as insulating it. I have a lot of left over 25mm Celotex from work so this is what I'm doing / done.

Remove all panels,
Apply 2mm sound deadding
fill panel areas with 25mm celotex
Re fit panel

Can anyone see any issues? No point buying thermal liner if I have enough Insulation laying around already.

https://www.facebook.com/pg/LBCleicester/photos/?tab=album&album_id=1829108267344117

This is a link to an album where I'm displaying the kit-out

Let me know what you think regarding the insulating!

Cheers

After having my van sound proofed and insulated by a company. I was disappointed with the level of road noise still coming into the van. I suspect the rear wheel arches as they didn't put any silent coat or similar on the inside of the wheel arch before carpeting over it. I asked why they did and it seems they are not the only company that doesn't do this as they believe it spoils the finish and that the carpet should reduce the noise.
So after some advise from @Fish @Absolut5 @slidepods and @Pauly i have put a layer of Dynamat on the outside of the wheel arch. Thanks for the info guys.
The job itself wasn't to bad and I've even got a knackered back. Took me about four hours to do the two arches.
Jack the van up, wheel off then there's four screws that you can see on the face of the liner and two bolts just underneath the van. Pull the arch liner out and give the metal work a good clean with a alcohol based cleaner.
The cable you can see unclips and the clips then unscrew so you don't have to stick around them.
It's then just a case of cutting strips of Dynamat into manageable lengths and roll it on as firmly as you can. Don't be tempted to do too bigger piece as it won't go on very well. I found pieces between 6" and 3" wide best and in various lengths depending on the surface shape.
Not had time to test it yet but will update you with the all important performance once I've had a good drive.
If the noise is still too high I will put a layer of Dodo Pro Barrier MLV as recommended by some.
Hope this helps anyone thinking of doing the same.

IMG_0213.JPG IMG_0214.JPG IMG_0215.JPG

Outstanding work, young Sir.. :thumbsup:
Ppl pay to have this simple thing done..

Great review.. next front arches and as much inside bulkhead as possible, imo

Outstanding work, young Sir.. :thumbsup:
Ppl pay to have this simple thing done..

Great review.. next front arches and as much inside bulkhead as possible, imo
Cheers @Fish it was you who gave me the idea to start with, much appreciated. I just hope it makes a difference without the Dodo Pro Barrier MLV.
Feel even more chuffed as I managed to do it in between the Welsh sun showers.

Great work stopping noise at the source is key. However it won't reduce the sound much in the van, some yes but not allot. It's not what it's designed for.
Mlv the inside arch and full floor.

My car is fully dampened with silent coat and Max mat followed by second skin spectrum liquid deadening. It stopped allot of vibration but not much noise suppression.
I then used dodo Mlv and dodo sound stopper. This cut most of the noise from my 3" exhaust and no road noise at all.

Great work stopping noise at the source is key. However it won't reduce the sound much in the van, some yes but not allot. It's not what it's designed for.
Mlv the inside arch and full floor.

My car is fully dampened with silent coat and Max mat followed by second skin spectrum liquid deadening. It stopped allot of vibration but not much noise suppression.
I then used dodo Mlv and dodo sound stopper. This cut most of the noise from my 3" exhaust and no road noise at all.
As I've got a Kombi do you think I need to line the floor with anything as it's already got a pretty thick rubber floor?

Back