Step / Guide / dumping ground to Lining, Sound-Deadening and Insulating

Yer cld mats like dynamat and silent cost will reduce panel resonance. It will reduce the transfer of noise a bit too but not much.
Use a closed cell foam with me loaded vinyl to stop noise.

Just bought 2 bulk packs of 2mm silent cost 80sqft and the massive roll of dodo pro barrier mlv roll.
I'm only doing the front cabin and bulkhead. Mainly for audio purposes.

This is of high interest to me as I have a T6 on order with a view to converting it. But so many conversion companies, so many views on insulation: wool (with or without vapour barrier), recycled plastic bottle quilt, NASA developed quilt, hard sheet stuff, and spray on foam, and any of the above with or without first applying sound/vibration deadening/suppression, and with or without floor treatments before lining. As a complete newbie, folk on the forum, please, your help and advice please.

This is of high interest to me as I have a T6 on order with a view to converting it. But so many conversion companies, so many views on insulation: wool (with or without vapour barrier), recycled plastic bottle quilt, NASA developed quilt, hard sheet stuff, and spray on foam, and any of the above with or without first applying sound/vibration deadening/suppression, and with or without floor treatments before lining. As a complete newbie, folk on the forum, please, your help and advice please.
Not sure there is a 'correct way' of doing it
Some folks use one product and others something else, a fair few of us seem to have used silent coat as per @HHO pictures above for a bit of sound deadening with a thermal liner on top to hold the heat but there are plenty of different ways of achieving this with a variety of products

Que 2 more pictures. Silent Coat (1). Silent Coat topped with DodoMat Thermo Van Liner (2)

IMG_8634.JPG IMG_8640.JPG

You can buy aftermarket panels out of standard or birch ply, theres a variety of them out there
Heres the first hit on eBay VW T5 Transporter LWB Camper / Day Van Interior Panels 3.6mm Ply Lining Trim Kit | eBay

You can get them with or without holes etc etc
Yes but to date I think he only does the tailgate lower half
Pauly have we got any prices for these ply panels for the kombi , I'm thinking 6mm panels would be better more rigid .
just bought me silent coat and dodo looking to do over Xmas shut down

So I pulled back the spec of the Insulation I had planned and decided, if i required it I would install a night heater.
I'm relitively happy with that as the Silent Coat 2mm combined with the Dodo Thermoliner has made Quite an impressive difference.. for
only 7 mm of CCF and foil the thermoliner is certainly doing the job. I have so far only done the rear solid window section and above the rear wheel arch ( inc wheel arch) with the silent coat 2mm and yet to do the other side. I have used a quarter of a box ( so 10 sheets) and that is that side 100% covered and some packed into the most awkward of places.... The thermoliner is super sticky too. Sound wise I have already noticed a good difference drivign to work this morning with only that small section completed...Onto the passenger side tonight and hopefully a bit quicker and roof and floor to follow. Standard Deadening I have to say was poor. two peices 1500mm by 80mm on the lower above the wheel arch and two 150mm squares on the main side panel...... photos can come later and I have a sound " ping test" on the difference on the driver side to passenger side... will post on youtube and link here.

20161204_122825[1].jpg

another photo of the silent coat, I ended up putting it over the original vibration material on the lower half as it was easier

20161204_141842[1].jpg

Here is a wee video review of the side coated with silent coat 2mm and one not. Quite pleased with this. Also pleased with the dodo thermo liner! Far better than I expected and a huge temperature difference from the outside pannel to inside of the liner.

Back