Step / Guide / dumping ground to Lining, Sound-Deadening and Insulating

Mupp3tt

T6 Pro
Hi Guys, I was hoping to try and put together a comprehensive guide for those that want to have a stab at doing the work of Lining, sound deadening and insulation them selves. The idea would be a non chat based thread, with a list of useful suppliers or contacts, Materials and alternative materials (to the branded), Step guide, Hints and Tips as well as any other general pointers. Primarily this is to help my own knowledge, and certainly not to do those fine chaps that make a living off of this but more for those that like to get thier hands dirty (like me). As it stands right now I know nothing on the subject. I understand the basic theory on the vibrations, but what I would hope to produce would be an efficiant and cost effective way for others to follow.

So basically if anyone has time or any pointers, can we use this as a dumping ground for tips. Try and be blatently obvious on what you have done step wise as others may not understand the obvious, and if you have some web pages for where to get the raw material or even discounted codes etc. With the permission of the modirators could we post it here. things like hidden pannel fittings and how best to make them work or where to get them, what ply to use and indeed what MDF to use, thicknesses, carpets, material and ideas .. anything really

I will try and take the best info and create a follow me guide to the process when i eventually get my van!

Feel free to PM me!

Cheers Matt

I am at the start of putting something like this together myself but its not at the top of the to do list at the moment so you have my full support, i have many (many many) pictures of my vehicle (the guinea pig) in various states of undress and at different points throughout the sound deadening and insulating process which i have completed for the rear 2/3rds in my kombi but i have not lined anything yet.
We have a member here who is CNC manufacturing replacement panels out of standard and/or high quality birch ply to use for lining and i have approached a company to get some prices for kits to do deadening and insulating materials and i have ordered hidden trim clips and high temp spray glue from a few different people (cheap and expensive ones) to try out some different makes to see which are best, my intention was to group all the products into a one stop kit suitable for the average fit out hopefully with a bit of trade discount which we could pass on to members, it may or may not work out but this is a great idea and im hoping members will give us some input to get this going as there are a few different approaches to this process

@Pauly , Thanks for the input, Like I said I am completely new to Vans, and just ordered my T32 SWB T6 204ps, I did order the 4 motion but canseled it as I started feeling bad about the cost, I hate spending money on myself, as such this is my first new vehicle. It will be for a day van as i do alot of mountainbiking and outside sports. I literally know nothing on them and although you can search and search for opinions I want to give an unbiased help to people. If your up for it @Pauly i would happily helpout in any way, until when my van arrives and I would be happy to do a build photo shoot on everything..

PM me and I will pass on my email address

I may post this elsewhere, but has anyone pulled up the rubber floor lining in the front? The reason I ask, is I'm thinking about putting some Silent coat or similar on the front wheel arches, but wondered if there may already be some there.

@Pauly, you mentioned someone on here is CNC ing panels. I would kill for a single piece for the whole of my tailgate as would a couple of mates of mine. Is this the sort of thing he does?

Yes but to date I think he only does the tailgate lower half

Haven't seen any type of lining under front flooring on kombi may be different on vele and Cali though

How easy does the rubber flooring come up, and more importantly go back down?

It only rests in place so lifts right out but in the rear you need to remove side steps and rear seats and same in the front, steps and seats, not sure about handbrake though and I did side at a time and didn't remove totally

Hi Guys,
I'm in the middle of tring to source the best combination of cost and quality on the Sound dedening , insulation and quality for vans. Have a really good Idea on how to go about it. I will put up a post and step guide as to how I have gone about it as a GUIDE. ( please remember I'm new to this so advice is welcome, and by no means would it be a conclusive this is what you definately should do....) It will be set out as a recomendation and nothing more. If your interested or have already done some research please get in touch as it would be great to get a good solution for everyone to base thiers off should they want to do it by themselves.

Also If there were anyone thinking the same and agreed with what I was going to put in my van maybe we could do a bulk buy and save some £££ ? just a thought.

Also @Pauly , Would there be remit to approach some suppliers and see about a forum discount? I have been part of a GT4OC club int he past and they did something similar with moded parts, and gaining 10% codes or more. No idea if you wanted to be affiliated like that on this forum but maybe a thought?
Also would you want to ping over the info that you had thougth on putting somethign together like I am. and I can see what I can put together with your review?

So far price and spec wise I'm looing at this .

Sides Roof and doors:
10mm Silent Coat Isolator Thermo Liner (11.8 sq.m) 20 sheets ( there is another option for 6mm, for those that dont live in scotland and roughtly £50 Cheaper) and 2 x 40 sheet Silent Coar 2mm Bulk Packs (8sq.m) for £349.99 (roughly 25% discounted).

Floor:
MVL Dodo Pro Barrier 5m roll (which is more cost effective than buying the 8 sheets that would be required) £179.99 (10% discount on cheapest i could find)

And an under the bonnet :

Silent Coat Buffler 20 £26.99 (10% discounted)

If anyone can offer similar deals please shout up or can recomend a change. Any help is help!

Cheers

I got all my carpet,glue and insulation from Harrison's trim supplies in cleckheaton ,good price
I got veltrim carpet ,as I had this in my last van ,good quality and hard wearing .
They also stock headlining and material to match seats .

Is there any update? I really want to insulate/sound Deaden my bus. I came across this video where they dynamat a T5. Thoughts? Would this add any decent insulation too?

Is there any update? I really want to insulate/sound Deaden my bus. I came across this video where they dynamat a T5. Thoughts? Would this add any decent insulation too?
Applying the Dynamat or Silentcoat, whatever your preference I found really easy, The only tip id give is not too remove all the backing paper at once, but just a couple of inches at the top, fold it over, and remove the rest once your happy with position. Just easier too remove if not right.

Reactions: HHO
So I have been looking at this for a while now and Dynamat is rated very good, and silent coat every bit as good but half the cost. makes sence to go for silent coat and get better coverage.

I recently spoke to a Guy at Custom Vanz and after reading thier web site and simply said

"Don’t be fooled by companies offering D-Matting, Dynamat or similar as a Sound Deadening Treatment.Whilst these materials will eliminate a small amount off road noise, these materials are anti vibration products used in Audio Installations to stop powerful speakers vibrating panels, door cards and dash trims, ect.They are not dedicated sound deadening products"

So @Buggirl no it wont provide insulation or sound deadening, but it will add weight to the pannels that wiill vibrate due to other vibrations in the van, whether that is due to a sound system or whatever they will deaden vibrations that can be heard as sound. so in all will help.

If you look at my earlier 3 stage sound, insulation and carpet thoughts, it will give you an idea of what I plan. Others will do it differently by filling the voids with a wadding type insulation and this is going to be down to choice for me. and depending on cost i may well do both the silent coat insulator and wadding ... Most are availible as peel and stick. as @superflyguy states maybe peel a wee bit off at a time before attempting to stick down a full sheet. Will be easier to peel off if ya F-up

So far price and spec wise I'm looing at this .

Sides Roof and doors:
10mm Silent Coat Isolator Thermo Liner (11.8 sq.m) 20 sheets ( there is another option for 6mm, for those that dont live in scotland and roughtly £50 Cheaper) and 2 x 40 sheet Silent Coar 2mm Bulk Packs (8sq.m) for £349.99 (roughly 25% discounted).

Floor:
MVL Dodo Pro Barrier 5m roll (which is more cost effective than buying the 8 sheets that would be required) £179.99 (10% discount on cheapest i could find)

And an under the bonnet :

Silent Coat Buffler 20 £26.99 (10% discounted)

If anyone can offer similar deals please shout up or can recomend a change. Any help is help!

Cheers

Back