This thread has explored new depths of van geekery and questionable expense... ;):rofl:

What's your take on this mod then? It does have LED's in the buttons :rofl::p

As an aside I've sold my OEM unit on Facebook this evening!!

IMG_1597.jpg
Hi have just gone to view my new Caravelle at the dealers and i want to add paddles really like the R Line or GTI wheel but can't seem to find the exact same wheel so if i get a wheel with Mode instead of CNL on the new wheel will it work or do i need to swop the loom heres a pic of my origonal wheel.
Thanks

Last edited:
Don't think the mode one will work, you need to find one with CNL, Different functions i think they are (maybe wrong :oops:)

Also not sure on the pic but you look like you have a manual box ? If you want the paddles to work you need DSG

Don't think the mode one will work, you need to find one with CNL, Different functions i think they are (maybe wrong :oops:)

Also not sure on the pic but you look like you have a manual box ? If you want the paddles to work you need DSG

It is DSG for sure !

I seem to able to only find a wheel like the one you have fitted or with a mode button in the place of CNL mine has that extra button in the middle on the left hand side of all the ones i have seen so no exact match as of yet :(

Looks good,

Apart from being flat bottomed, is the GTI/R sterring wheel and different in size and feel?

eg is it more 'chunky' to grip and is it a smaller diameter?

It is DSG for sure !

I seem to able to only find a wheel like the one you have fitted or with a mode button in the place of CNL mine has that extra button in the middle on the left hand side of all the ones i have seen so no exact match as of yet :(
Does you extra left hand button have a picture of a car rear end on it ,just above cnl button .

It sure does yes its the actual steering wheel in the pic i have added above.
Same as mine acc ,I haven't found any the same either .found some with cnl button ,but no car picture..

Come to think of it i did not see a flat bottomed wheel with those controls when i was looking for mine. Maybe they never did one with them controls as cars GTI.....have the "mode" button that is not available on the vans. :unsure:

available

Come to think of it i did not see a flat bottomed wheel with those controls when i was looking for mine. Maybe they never did one with them controls as cars GTI.....have the "mode" button that is not available on the vans. :unsure:

I looked for a couple of hours last night and couldn't find an exact wheel does anyone know if i can possibly change the loom and keep the mode button and use it as CNL
or better still put my buttons and loom into the DSG wheel ?
the buttons look the same except maybe the volume which i wouldn't need just dont want to buy the wrong wheel and cry later .:unsure:

You can swap the looms as they are only spade connectors and clip onto the back of the air bag . When did mine i put the loom off the back of my wheel onto the the new gti wheel i bought as they were different. All worked ok but i dont no if it would be the same with the ACC type controls :unsure:

This is the loom on the back of the air bag , i think there all the same but the wiring is different in them depending on what spec and model you have.
20170130_111556.jpg

Would the buttons split from the back of the steering wheel do you know as i could just add the acc button then presumably if the loom will fit ?

I managed to find a new GTI polo steering wheel with DSG paddles and air bag. I wanted the red stitching and the red illumination on the switches to match the rest of the dash, so following the fine work and advice from @RattyMcClelland i new what steering wheel i needed to achieve this. The only problem i encountered was i could see the wiring loom on the GTI airbag was different to the T6 wheel. I installed the wheel and bag as it was wired just to see if it worked . It did.... apart from no horn or cruise control :confused:.... So i swapped the T6 wiring loom onto the gti air bag and result it all worked perfectly paddles and all :). So i think thats all the steering wheels covered for what ever type and version you would like, @T6 dork has done his conversion to paddles and flat bottom wheel with the standard airbag.
so if anyone else wishes to do a steering wheel mod you know what to do now and what works :thumbsup:

View attachment 4587 View attachment 4588 View attachment 4589
@StudleyGlass do you also have a link for the steering wheel ,cheers

Back