Just kickstarting up this thread again incase anyones interested

I had the Mk7 wheel fitted by the race line boys to my T5, Bloody awesome to be honest....Drop down 2 gears (tap tap) and floor it ---- Outstanding

The van needs to be DSG to start with for the flappy paddles to work and really is plug and play, Large Torx in the centre and 2 connections to be made (SIMPLES!)

Watched him do it and will definitely do the upgrade myself on the new T6 when she arrives

Regarding the controls on it though, all worked perfect for me as they were the same as my highline controls, Noticed some of the new Highline's have the Cruise control on the wheel rather than the stalk so i need to wait till the van arrives before making the purchase to get the right one

Will pick a nice one up on eBay for around £500 :D

Plug and Play you say?
So if i fit one with same controls as mine but with paddles it will just work?
I've been told to disconnect the battery to do the wheel exchange because of airbag

Plug and Play you say?
I've been told to disconnect the battery to do the wheel exchange because of airbag
I changed my mfsw on my T5.1 for a mfsw with paddles .It was a straight swop ,and yes I disconnected the battery .
Once I had up clipped the air bag ,I got the wheels straight and took the key out and let steering lock go on so you can line it back up .

If you already have the front radar for city brakin,g do you think there would be any way of adding adaptive cruise control if the new wheel had the adaptive cruise button?

I thought the two were/are part of the same option ie you only get city braking when you have ACC

So if you added this wheel to a 16 plate highline would it do away with the cruise control being on the stalk and just work from the wheel?

I would guess the stalk stays as is and you would have a blank in the lower wheel spaces where the cruise buttons go, it may be possible to buy the additional buttons and convert it to remove the stalk but that would start getting expensive, i havent looked at it properly but on other VAG vehicles the cruise stalk is part of the indicator stalk (they share the same base plate) so that would prob need to be replaced as well.
My understanding is that for a straight swap you would simply transfer your existing buttons to the new wheel

I agree with @Pauly on this one from what i can make out there is a wheels for every occasion in the vw range (golf,passat etc) so as long as the controls on the wheel you want, match the controls you have a the moment then it's just a straight swap, as for adding, then thats another ball game altogether.

The euro 5 T6 has them on the stalks but the new E6 has them on the wheel. Which i much prefer

I'm finding them annoying. When I turn the wheel more than half way I usually press a button accidentally.
I'm hoping the golf 2016 wheel is more recessed/concave so I don't do that.

Move ya hand then !! ;)
I found the stalk controls fiddly but thats just me :)
I will go for a golf R wheel when i get to it sometime

Other thing I found strange is my cruise stalk buttons change speed 1mph at a time but wheel buttons on EU6 wheel + or - 5 mph at a time

Pauly, you probably know this but a quick press changes 5mph at a time, and a longer press does 1mph, or more if you continue to press. Counter intuitive and a PITA to use

Didn't know that only had it on a courtesy for a day here and there and never did any real distance in it

So if you added this wheel to a 16 plate highline would it do away with the cruise control being on the stalk and just work from the wheel?

If you've got the cruise on the stalk then no wiring will be at the wheel for it to work

Plug and Play you say?

As long as you've got the DSG then it will work.....No battery was disconnected when i first had mine installed but the key was removed

I also did it this way when i removed it myself ...no problems but a bit scary hoping the airbag didn't explode :rofl:

Id probably recommend disconnecting the battery too :thumbsup:

Back