Anyone have a Euro 5 Highline?

Yep, but as its highline it had cruise on the stalk already, so I only had to swap the wheel and airbag (I bought a MFSW that already had the same button layout as the standard MFSW).

Just wanted to be cheeky and ask for a reg number from someone with a euro5 highline with MFSW so I could give it to the dealer so he can make sure he orders me the right stalk to replace the trip one.

Thanks though for quick response

Can somebody help me out? I have just read through the thread and cannot find an answer..

I have just fitted a GTI wheel and airbag to my EU6 highline panel van with ACC.. all of the buttons are the same apart from the CNL which is MODE.. the mode button is to select different cruise modes - ACC, normal cruise and speed limiter (well on my GTD it is anyway) so I was hoping that the MODE button would just act as the CNL on the highline wheel, the text being incorrect doesn't really bother me.

Anyway I fitted it this afternoon and I have an ACC fault, which has thrown up the engine managment light.. and the only buttons that appear to do anything are the MFD left and right buttons (little centre left/right buttons on the right side of the wheel) but they change the radio station instead?! No other buttons are working at all.

Has anyone fitted one to a T6 with ACC and had success without coding? Or if I swap the loom out on the airbag would this work?

Thanks in advance!

IMG_1298.jpg

I've just swapped mine with a MK7 Golf wheel to gain the paddles on my Euro6 Highline.
I had all the same problems you had, but figured out that you need to swap over the buttons on the wheel i'm afraid, although my horn is different to yours, so I'm not sure how interchangeable your buttons are, because mine were the same, with just CNL and Mode being different.
They are not easy to remove and take a scary amount of force, but once you pop the clips they work their way out with even pressure as pulling.

As for any errors, my Carisa re-set these after I got everything right.

This is mine, and the bottom one is the Flappy paddle wheel that I now have fitted, which is also little smaller and flat bottomed.

20180415_094255-COLLAGE.jpg

Actually @Josh Brown, now mine and yours are above each other, it's easier to see.
I don't think the buttons will swap on that round horn wheel, if your original is the same as mine mate, they are a different shape.

@StudleyGlass I'm sure has the round horn wheel, and might be able to shed more light on your issue.

Thanks for your quick response!

Since posting I had it back off and swapped the loom out on the airbag.. still the same fault and no buttons working other than the 2 mentioned and the horn. I don’t think I am actually able to swap the buttons as they are different in shape, but I could possibly look into changing the internal wiring within the wheel itself, or can you not disconnect the buttons from the loom in the wheel?

Thanks

Yeah my original wheel was the same as in your first photo mate, so I am unable to swap the buttons over.

I have looked at the others that have been swapped over in this thread but none appear to have ACC - I think that is what’s causing me the issues! But it is odd that the buttons aren’t even lit up or anything and I have re-used the existing loom from the original airbag.. I thought it would of been a like for like swap

Thanks for your quick response!

Since posting I had it back off and swapped the loom out on the airbag.. still the same fault and no buttons working other than the 2 mentioned and the horn. I don’t think I am actually able to swap the buttons as they are different in shape, but I could possibly look into changing the internal wiring within the wheel itself, or can you not disconnect the buttons from the loom in the wheel?

Thanks

You won't be able to disconnect the wires either. Mine came adrift and disconnected when I re-fitted my wheel and loads of errors came up that wouldn't switch off, until I realised the plug had come out and plugged back in.

Yeah my original wheel was the same as in your first photo mate, so I am unable to swap the buttons over.

I have looked at the others that have been swapped over in this thread but none appear to have ACC - I think that is what’s causing me the issues! But it is odd that the buttons aren’t even lit up or anything and I have re-used the existing loom from the original airbag.. I thought it would of been a like for like swap

Although not much help anyway, just check that tiny plug is connected both sides. They are very fiddly and pop out quite easily when putting everything back together.
I guess that's irrelevant anyway if it's not going to work, and I know that stomach drop feeling, gutted for you, specially as I know how much of a faff all the swap is until you've done it a couple of times :(

@Tourershine thanks for your help mate, I have double checked connections and all seems to be correctly clicked in - I have just swapped the loom back over and put the other wheel back on for now as I use it daily. Yeah it is a disappointment if I’m honest, I thought it seemed an easy mod and I have just picked the van up on Friday night from a full MK7 gti themed camper conversion so that would of finished it off perfectly.. I will need to have a think about what to do, unless somebody has experienced this and knows the solution :(

Thanks for your help though it’s appreciated :thumbsup:

I really fancy a mk7 golf dsg steering wheel as raceline fit to there t6 vans , i am not a fan of the highline wheel at all. I wondered if anyone has ever messed with changing wheels, i dont no if the wires/plugs are there for a straight swap but it cant be much of a job if raceline do it ?
View attachment 2252

The Lin language of the buttons is different ie the software in side them

If you want a fancy flat bottom wheel that works with paddle shift drop me a message as i have the answer

All T6 software is based on a polo With some variations along the way

If you have any particular issues send me a message i have most solutions we all like to add to our T6s and not at stupid money

Hi all.

Apologies in advance as I'm a T5 driver but seeing as there is lots of helpful info on here I thought I'd ask.

I've just bought a 2005 Caravelle with T5.1 facelift and the owner fitted a Mk7 Golf steering wheel. Nothing works on the steering wheel other than the horn and hopefully air bag lol.

Any pointers to look at to get any of the buttons working and of poss the dsg paddles. Does anyone know if its been done before. I'm ok with coding with VCDS and Launch diagnostics so just looking at some checks on what to look for.

TIA.

20180812_161805.jpg

Although as you say it's a T5, I assume most things are the same, but i'd be popping off the horn first, and seeing if the plugs behind are actually compatible.

I've changed my Highline wheel to a MK7 Golf wheel on my DSG and it wasn't a simple plug and play. I had to remove all the switches from the Highline and swap them with the Golf wheel, but after doing this, everything worked perfectly, including my paddles.
My worry would be if nothing works on yours, it suggests that it might be a little more involved than something obvious I'm afraid.

PS, no need to apologise for being a T5 owner, we all have our own small afflictions :eek::cool:

PPS, Kidding.

Last edited:
Agree with the above, it depends if the van already had a MFSW if it didn’t then don’t think there will be cabling from steering wheel into dash, if it did then you may need the correct steering wheel loom (assuming the old one is still in there) or another possibility is it may just not work at all with newer style buttons on an older vehicle
As there are so many possibilities you may be better off getting in touch with someone that does this and get them to have a look for you
@Absolut5 ?

My brother has a 2004 T5 caravelle and the electrics aren't that advanced on the older ones .I don't think a T5 had steering wheel controls until the 2010 face lift .

Hi all.

Apologies in advance as I'm a T5 driver but seeing as there is lots of helpful info on here I thought I'd ask.

I've just bought a 2005 Caravelle with T5.1 facelift and the owner fitted a Mk7 Golf steering wheel. Nothing works on the steering wheel other than the horn and hopefully air bag lol.

Any pointers to look at to get any of the buttons working and of poss the dsg paddles. Does anyone know if its been done before. I'm ok with coding with VCDS and Launch diagnostics so just looking at some checks on what to look for.

TIA.

View attachment 27466

You have a early T5 which has uses early CanBus protocol, and is not as easy to hook up the MFSW you have to a 2010 onwards T5

There has only been 1 person who has achieved this in the Uk by using canbridge modules and a lot of work..

I'm looking to replace my non MFSW with one similar to the picture below.
Looking to keep the heart shaped airbag as opposed to the round style.
Have cruise on the stalk so don't need the buttons for this on the wheel.
Need paddles for the DSG.
Would like red illumination on the buttons.

Can anyone tell me what colour the button illumination is on this non R line Golf wheel like the one below?

20181104_194735.jpg

Back