Steering wheel upgrade to T5.1

Rich Green

Electrician
T6 Pro
Hi guys I have fitted a replacement steering wheel to my T5.1 does anyone know how simple it is to connect it up to get the buttons working and have them lit up? Any advice/diagrams would be appreciated.

Hi guys I have fitted a replacement steering wheel to my T5.1 does anyone know how simple it is to connect it up to get the buttons working and have them lit up? Any advice/diagrams would be appreciated.
You need to add two repair wires to the clock spring, one to the BCM and one to +12v. You'll also need a new airbag wiring harness and a bit of VCDS coding. Plenty of info on here and the rest of the internet.

You need to add two repair wires to the clock spring, one to the BCM and one to +12v. You'll also need a new airbag wiring harness and a bit of VCDS coding. Plenty of info on here and the rest of the internet.
Sounds more hastle than I was hoping! I can prob live with it not being lit up then

Hi just wondering as I have already changed the steering wheel and the airbag is all working ok (as it’s the same airbag removed from my old wheel) would I just need the 2 repair wires to illuminate the wheel? I've seen a set on eBay for about £23. Which I could install and then get programmed after.
thanks in advance.

Hi just wondering as I have already changed the steering wheel and the airbag is all working ok (as it’s the same airbag removed from my old wheel) would I just need the 2 repair wires to illuminate the wheel? I've seen a set on eBay for about £23. Which I could install and then get programmed after.
thanks in advance.
Yes, if you already have the correct MFSW harness. If you reused the airbag harness from your old wheel then this will need replacing.

Back