Steering weight

I have a T6 Caravelle Exec 204. Spec otherwise is pretty much identical to the T5 180 it replaced.

The only thing I don't prefer on the T6 is the steering weight at moderate speeds. Like the T5 it is very light at parking speed and that's fine, but unlike the T5 it weights up more than I would expect into roundabouts and corners at say 15-30mph. To start with the level of effort needed would catch me out.

Anyone else found this issue ? I'm on standard factory suspension and 17s, good tyres properly inflated etc etc, no other problems to suggest incorrect tracking or other geometry problems. Feels to me like it's an issue with the speed-related weighting programmed into the EPAS but I don't know...

I have a T6 Caravelle Exec 204. Spec otherwise is pretty much identical to the T5 180 it replaced.

The only thing I don't prefer on the T6 is the steering weight at moderate speeds. Like the T5 it is very light at parking speed and that's fine, but unlike the T5 it weights up more than I would expect into roundabouts and corners at say 15-30mph. To start with the level of effort needed would catch me out.

Anyone else found this issue ? I'm on standard factory suspension and 17s, good tyres properly inflated etc etc, no other problems to suggest incorrect tracking or other geometry problems. Feels to me like it's an issue with the speed-related weighting programmed into the EPAS but I don't know...
Steering on my 204 Cali 4motion is definitely "heavier" than my T5.1 180 Cali 4motion. I put it down to the smaller wheel but it feels different. I prefer a bit of weight to steering so I'm happy with the change!

There is a servotronic steering option we were offered that balances out the feel of the steering we chose not to go for it, but it does indicate that VW are aware of the difference.

Our exec is fine, nicely weighted at all speeds, makes it very easy to drive, think the Exec has variable weighted steering?

Back