Steering rack leaking fluid

LittleJeff

VIP Member
Hi all, just got back from my local garage having popped in to see if they could look at a strange whining noise coming from the engine bay, I am not at all technical with vehicles. I am told now that the steering rack is leaking fluid after only 28,000 miles! This seems very low mileage for a major component to fail. Vehicle is one month out of warranty, presuming it is 3 years, but I have been advised by the garage to take it up with VW directly as this should not have happened. Can anyone offer any advice please? Van is used as a daily drive by my wife, mostly, never carries anything like the load it can, T32 high line and is in modified apart from some different wheels and tyres.

whats the van spec and year?

28k is low for 3years old, so they may do it under warranty - has it been dealer serviced from new?

take it to VW for be looked and try for a FOC warranty repair.

if they refuse FOC, they may offer you 50%/50% as a good will gesture.

then all VW warranty/parts come with 2yrs warranty.

I had mine done under warranty, but check the gators on the ends are perfect without splits otherwise they will decline it.
make sure you mention its started a few months ago whilst still in warranty, you have been trying to get an appointment but this was the first you could get!
BTW its a £1200 job for new rack and pump.

Had the same issue on mine last week, belt whine etc.. topped up some fluid and it was better but returned.

Took it in today, needs a new rack (under warranty) 2019 Shuttle DSG with 17000 miles, no issues or questions raised by them (Van is completely standard spec which I’m sure helps)

He said they have had a run of the last of the line T6s but from this thread all are dsg so I wonder if there is a link there?

I have one very worn outer edge on tyre which I though was tracking (Van bought 12 moths ago as approved used and I’ve only done 5000 miles in it), I’m going to push for the tyre to be changed too.

Anything else I should make sure is done at the same time?

Had the same issue on mine last week, belt whine etc.. topped up some fluid and it was better but returned.

Took it in today, needs a new rack (under warranty) 2019 Shuttle DSG with 17000 miles, no issues or questions raised by them (Van is completely standard spec which I’m sure helps)

He said they have had a run of the last of the line T6s but from this thread all are dsg so I wonder if there is a link there?

I have one very worn outer edge on tyre which I though was tracking (Van bought 12 moths ago as approved used and I’ve only done 5000 miles in it), I’m going to push for the tyre to be changed too.

Anything else I should make sure is done at the same time?
Tyres should be replaced as a pair

Back