Steering rack failure

Posted on here a couple a months ago to say I had a steering rack replacement under warranty and after driving home last night the steering rack has gone again ! Only just made it home had to stop twice to put oil in . Two in one year ! VW said the earliest they can look at it is 24/2/22 absolutely shocking . Paid £26000 + vat for a virtually new van with 4500 miles on the clock wasn't expecting these kind of problems .

Posted on here a couple a months ago to say I had a steering rack replacement under warranty and after driving home last night the steering rack has gone again ! Only just made it home had to stop twice to put oil in . Two in one year ! VW said the earliest they can look at it is 24/2/22 absolutely shocking . Paid £26000 + vat for a virtually new van with 4500 miles on the clock wasn't expecting these kind of problems .
T6.1?

Haven't the T6.1 got an electric steering rack hydraulic s?

1644657769783.png

Electromechanical power steering
The T6.1 features electromechanical power steering with parallel axle drive (APA) from the
Bosch company.
The steering assist torque of the steering motor is 5 Nm at most. Power steering
intervenes according to the needs, according to the speed of the vehicle, the steering torque applied by the driver,
current steering angle and engine speed. Driving assistance systems such as the assistant
parking maneuvers, the trailer maneuvering assistant and the lane keeping assistant are
also available on the T6.1 with this power steering.

Last edited:
Definitely a problem with
There must be a steering rack problem. I read somewhere that there was a bad batch of 2019 steering racks.
I bought my van straight from the Vw dealers and it's on it's third steering rack at 19,000 miles. Had two fitted under warranty in the last 9 months. There's no guarantee with a replacement steering rack fitted under warranty, unless you have paid for the warranty.
Don't let the dealer warranty run out as you could have a problem getting them to do the repair. I was told by the dealer that if I had not paid for an extended warranty it would not have been replaced free of charge, even though the replacement only lasted nine months, shocking.
Because I have paid for the warranty the replacement steering rack that's now in my van has a two year guarantee, but the steering rack that was fitted under the Vw warranty have no guarantee?

Reactions: CJB
That normal practice for all manufacturers, any repairs done under the initial factory three year warranty are only guaranteed until the end of that three year period, the only exception being if you financially contribute to the repair

Have a 2018 SWB Kombi. Just had its 40k service and have an advisory on the steering rack. Steering rack is a year old, replaced after complete failure, and has done 8k. Van has 18 inch Rims with All terrain tyres. Straight away I’m told that’s the reason for the failure. It’s a t32 and has never carried a load in its life what hope has it got if it were actually used for work rather than the wife ferrying the kids about.

Have a 2018 SWB Kombi. Just had its 40k service and have an advisory on the steering rack. Steering rack is a year old, replaced after complete failure, and has done 8k. Van has 18 inch Rims with All terrain tyres. Straight away I’m told that’s the reason for the failure. It’s a t32 and has never carried a load in its life what hope has it got if it were actually used for work rather than the wife ferrying the kids about.
If you paid anything towards the last replacement, that then has a 2 year warranty, so you could just take it back to the dealer?

Back