Steering rack failure

Stoff

Hi Guys wondered if someone could offer some advice please
I have a 2019 T6 Transporter brought new just before the first lockdown has been professionally modified to a day van spec with 20 inch low profile wheels etc been really pleased with it excellent cruising beast use it with driveaway awning and also to tow a caravan
only just done 3000 miles first service completed but on my last outing I noticed that the steering was becoming stiff which got progressively worse in a short space of time
Booked it in at the main dealer and have just been informed that it needs a new steering rack and it will be with them for two weeks all the work is under warranty etc but not being of mechanical mind myself just wondered if anyone here has any experience of this repair and if it’s a common problem or just bad luck ,not something I would expect having only done 3k in the vehicle
Also the VW garage commented on the wheels saying the problem could be because of the non factory fitted wheels , but most T6s have some kind of wheel change from what I see
Its made me loose faith in the van and the thought of getting the work complete and selling it are in my mind maybe seems extreme to some people here but feeling disappointed at present.
Any comments would be appreciated
Many thanks

82089D02-ED09-4FD2-9DB3-69AADE9DAD42.jpeg

Not many rack failures that I know of, maybe 4 including my own.

If not on the standard running gear the angles of the steering links will be compromised and may cause failure.
Search ’steering rack leak’ on the Forum

Hi Loz do you know what caused your one ?
Got to Be honest I’m a little sceptical regarding warranty work and the dealerships knew a guy who worked for B M W dealership and he was encouraged to seek out problems
All for the good of the customers I’m sure

The shaft that comes out of the rack was scored and that damaged the seal, then on a long drive up from the south of France the hot steering fluid broke through the seal and then there was no stopping the oil escape.
Had a new rack, and oil pump.

Hi Guys wondered if someone could offer some advice please
I have a 2019 T6 Transporter brought new just before the first lockdown has been professionally modified to a day van spec with 20 inch low profile wheels etc been really pleased with it excellent cruising beast use it with driveaway awning and also to tow a caravan
only just done 3000 miles first service completed but on my last outing I noticed that the steering was becoming stiff which got progressively worse in a short space of time
Booked it in at the main dealer and have just been informed that it needs a new steering rack and it will be with them for two weeks all the work is under warranty etc but not being of mechanical mind myself just wondered if anyone here has any experience of this repair and if it’s a common problem or just bad luck ,not something I would expect having only done 3k in the vehicle
Also the VW garage commented on the wheels saying the problem could be because of the non factory fitted wheels , but most T6s have some kind of wheel change from what I see
Its made me loose faith in the van and the thought of getting the work complete and selling it are in my mind maybe seems extreme to some people here but feeling disappointed at present.
Any comments would be appreciated
Many thanks

View attachment 126836
I understand your feeling of disappointment but assuming you sell the van and buy something else to replace it with there's no guarantee that you won't have similar problems or problems in other areas. I think you were just unlucky - sometimes things fail. It's no indication of future reliability IMO and at least it's being put right under warranty.
I don't buy into the idea that your non standard wheels are a factor, as long as they have a similar ET I don't believe that they affect the effort that the steering rack has to make to any degree. As you say, many thousands of these vans have non standard wheels.
Anyway, that's just my opinion, if you decide to sell you will do very nicely at the moment!

I had the same problem earlier this year 2019 model T32 only 6500 miles on the clock bought from VW . The guy in the parts department told me its quite common , they get around one a month . They replaced mine under warranty straight away although they did mention the H/R coil over's are not a recognised vw part but that was all they said . They sell eibach coil overs and they sell 20" alloys so I don't see the difference .

Not what I was expecting from a virtually brand new van to be honest .

Thanks

I think I’m going to get the job Done under the warranty then see if I can sell the van as I have a major faith loss issue now and if the suspension alteration does have anything to do with this and it do go wrong again in the future I woulD be super pissed so maybe look into selling whimch is a gutter as I’ve only had 3,000 miles for my money

I think I’m going to get the job Done under the warranty then see if I can sell the van as I have a major faith loss issue now and if the suspension alteration does have anything to do with this and it do go wrong again in the future I woulD be super pissed so maybe look into selling whimch is a gutter as I’ve only had 3,000 miles for my money
slight overreaction imo.

I think you are over-reacting. Faults will happen, and steering rack faults seem relatively rare apparently.

Pete

As with any equipment failure find the root cause and if possible fix the cause at the same time as replacing the failed component.

MY STEERING RACK FAILED LEAKING FLUID PLUS PLUS FROM LEFT HAND BOOT

2019 T6 SHUTTLE 24000 MILES 2.6 YEARS OLD
THOUGHT WARRENTY WAS 2 YEARS PLEASED WHEN I FOUND OUT IT WAS 3 YEARS.

APPARENTLY THEY HAVE MODIFIED THE RACK NOW

WOULD HAVE BEEN £1500 AT vw DEALERSHIP

Reactions: CAB
That's odd..

Not heard of that before.

What's the van spec and wheel/suspension setup?

MY STEERING RACK FAILED LEAKING FLUID PLUS PLUS FROM LEFT HAND BOOT

2019 T6 SHUTTLE 24000 MILES 2.6 YEARS OLD
THOUGHT WARRENTY WAS 2 YEARS PLEASED WHEN I FOUND OUT IT WAS 3 YEARS.

APPARENTLY THEY HAVE MODIFIED THE RACK NOW

WOULD HAVE BEEN £1500 AT vw DEALERSHIP
WHY ARE YOU SHOUTING!?

I had the same thing..

Back