Starting issues [Resolved]

Was starting to think starting motor.

But you say it starts fine after a short drive?

So now back to a low battery issue. That's my guess atm.

Constant low battery from low usage.

Could it be an alternator issue with there being an alternator fault when they plugged it in ? What I can’t understand is if it starts after a really short journey surely the battery wouldn’t have charged up in that 5 minutes down the road? It’s all very annoying

Yes absolutely...

But you need voltage meter readings and code scan to investigate further.

These vans have an advanced charging system.
All computer controlled. There are sensors on the battery and alternator but you need VCDS or other to run a diagnostic.

A new battery needs coding to the van.

Got some pics of the starter battery? Close up of negative post?.... is the van blue motion stop/start?

Got more info....

" I took it into mid Vw three weeks ago they put a new battery on and did a diagnostic check which bought up an alternator fault,"

Got a pic of the report paperwork? . . . What was the fault?

What I can’t understand is if it starts after a really short journey surely the battery wouldn’t have charged up in that 5 minutes down the road? It’s all very annoying
Agreed but remember a warm engine takes significantly less energy to turn it over than a cold one, and it has been cold.

The battery was coded to the van, it’s a yuasa battery they fit I think, I can get some pics in the morning, yes it’s a stupid start/stop :mad: I’m guessing it’s vcds they use at midland Vw?

If the are a main dealer they will have ODIS. VW indy might have VCDS.....

Either can be used for diag.

Carista can be used for basic fault code scans.

yes it’s a stupid start/stop :mad:

- that's easy to disable/enable. . . .

It’s easy if you half a clue , which I don’t, I’ve read through all your how to’s and they’re great but I don’t have the balls to mess, I’ve had some h7 headlights for months and still have plucked up the courage to fit them :rolleyes:

great . . . id be looking at the sensor on the battery . . .

vw t6 - 7e0907534 - 02252

1613167759744.png

But need to scan for codes now . . . (log them)

then clear the code . . .

take van for test drive . .

rescan for codes.

possible faulty battery power sensor.

possible fault with LIN/CAN bus to battery sensor or Alternator

New scan needed - just like the sheets above

this is the battery power sensor . .

1613168173233.png

some people try to dissable the stop/start by disconecting the plug on it (causes a no - com fault on the computer)

have you got a pic of your battery + NEG post

this is the battery power sensor . .

View attachment 103329

some people try to dissable the stop/start by disconecting the plug on it (causes a no - com fault on the computer)

have you got a pic of your battery + NEG post

Ok I’ll mention this to them tomorrow when I drop the van off, I’ll get a pic of the battery in the morning , thanks for your help

Midland VW have a good reputation - I assume you mean the company at Cannock ?
Let us know what they say.

I’m not too far from you - happy to have a look when it’s legal/safe, but it looks like Midlands VW have decent diagnostic tools.

Pete

Midland VW have a good reputation - I assume you mean the company at Cannock ?
Let us know what they say.

I’m not too far from you - happy to have a look when it’s legal/safe, but it looks like Midlands VW have decent diagnostic tools.

Pete
Yea they’re great I’ll let you know the out come, thanks for the offer I may well take you up on that if I get no joy:thumbsup:

So... vans it at midland Vw today, I’ve just had a phone call, there’s a broken wire between the alternator and the battery, so basically the battery hasn’t been charging, also the main live to the starter is badly corroded “orange” so he says , so I’m guessing that’s not helping with the starting either, I’ll update if this is fixed once I get my van back after what I’m guessing will be a rather large bill, we’ll see but I wouldn’t have expected this on a 30,000 mile van. Hopefully this should fix it :oops:

So... vans it at midland Vw today, I’ve just had a phone call, there’s a broken wire between the alternator and the battery, so basically the battery hasn’t been charging, also the main live to the starter is badly corroded “orange” so he says , so I’m guessing that’s not helping with the starting either, I’ll update if this is fixed once I get my van back after what I’m guessing will be a rather large bill, we’ll see but I wouldn’t have expected this on a 30,000 mile van. Hopefully this should fix it :oops:
Well at least the cause has been identified, that's always a plus!
I've owned a variety of old vehicles over the years and never had such an issue, I wonder if VW use particularly thin or cheap wire to save money? I agree that you shouldn't expect that on a 5 year old T6.

I'd ask to see a picture of the damage.

Thats not normal at all.

Possible rodent damage or previous accident damage.

They didn’t say it looked like it had been chewed he said thery did a continuity test on it to find the break there was no visual evidence, as long as it sorts the problem I’ll be happy. I’ll find out more when I collect the van so I’ll report back then :thumbsdown:

Back