Starting issues [Resolved]

F2JON

VIP Member
T6 Guru
ok so I’m having issues with my van starting, I took it into mid Vw three weeks ago they put a new battery on and did a diagnostic check which bought up an alternator fault, but they wasn’t sure, so I had the van back, I hardly use the van at all but haven’t had any issues with starting till now. It’s a 2016 150 bhp 32k on the clock, even after the new battery was fit it still seemed really sluggish starting. It’s never not started but it takes some turning over before it starts, I’ve even put my jump pack on to see if this makes a difference, but it didn’t has anyone else got or had any similar issues? It’s going back in tomorrow for more tests. Thank for you input

Is it slow to turn over?

Or slow to start?

Got a video clip?

How much use does it get i.e. how often do you drive it, and for how long/how far ?

Pete

Is it slow to turn over?

Or slow to start?

Got a video clip?
Slow turning over I suppose you could say, today I turned the key twice and there was nothing but a click on the third turn it started, it’s most strange... I’ve had the van over two years and my use hasn’t really changed, it gets occasional use short journeys mainly but I’ve had no issues till now and with a new battery it’s kind of ruled that one out ??

I haven’t got a video clip but I can drive ten minutes down the road switch it off then it fires up fine, it’s most strange it only seems to be when it’s sat a few days, I just wonder if the starter motor is sticking or something strange like that ?

Any way to scan for codes?

I've had a intermittant no start after the van was in vw and they left the startmotor cable loose. (Caused a fault code)

But if its slow start that might be low battery power or large voltage drop.

You need a battery monitor or voltmeter.... to verify the charging voltage.

The battery rest voltage after a short drive.

The battery voltage the following morning.

The battery voltage when cranking.

Any 3rd party kit fitted in van?

Dash cam. Lighting? WiFi? Leisure electrics? Solar etc?

Any way to scan for codes?

I've had a intermittant no start after the van was in vw and they left the startmotor cable loose. (Caused a fault code)

But if its slow start that might be low battery power or large voltage drop.

You need a battery monitor or voltmeter.... to verify the charging voltage.

The battery rest voltage after a short drive.

The battery voltage the following morning.

The battery voltage when cranking.
unfortunately not no, I’d have thought if it was battery issues it would have been better with a brand new battery ? It’s a standard-ish van, no conversion etc the only thing it has is an alarm but that’s been on since I had the van there’s nothing new fitted. They’re going to check all the cables etc tomorrow/Monday I’ve told them to keep it a few days so they can see the problem

A brand new battery isn’t necessarily fully charged, and your usage may not recharge the battery.
I would get a decent battery charger, and give it a full charge, then see how the starter behaves.

Pete

A new battery can be knackered if it's run dead flat..

Do you drive it enough daily to keeps the battery charged?.

Do you top up the battery with a charger if its left for more than a week?

A decent garage can meter out the battery drain over time.. and tell you if there is a parasitic battery drain.

you need a battery monitor or volt meter to see whats happening . .

have a look over these for more info:

Dellmassive`s -- "how I Done It" -- Thread
Kit List And Stuff -- How I Done It & What I Use --
VIP Membership | VW T6 Forum - The Dedicated VW Transporter T6 Forum
For Sale - Summer-weekend-t6f Limited Edition External Stickers
For Sale - T6F Flags

ok cheers for your help both, I’ll see what they come back with and give it a charge when I get it back, I just don’t understand why I haven’t had this issue in over two years and it makes no difference putting a booster on it?

How much use does it get i.e. how often do you drive it, and for how long/how far ?

Pete
Twice a week , if that , 20-30 mile journeys , but my usage hasn’t changed in over two years so why would it start playing up now? It’s most strange.

possibly a corroded main power cable, ground or other. (can use a jump cable to create new ground for a test)

possibly starter motor brush pack. (will see excessive volt drop on start)

low charge rate from alternator (voltage readings and ECU scan needed)

possibly a parasitic power draw fault (need meter readings to locate)

possibly just a low battery that has not had a chance to full charge and keep recharged ( battery test meter and drive cycle count vs time/millage)

Twice a week , if that , 20-30 mile journeys

that might not be enough to keep the battery charged , , ,. (this time of year - cold winter)

its winter, lights on. heaters on etc etc.

battery not getting enough charging time . . . .

see what garage says . . .

but i think i would be looking at fitting a battery monitor on the van . .

and getting a proper AGM smart charger and charging the battery for a good 24hrs. (AGM - assuming ur van is stop/start?)

I’ve got a noco charger and a noco booster, I had the old battery on charge for two days the charger was showing 100% but it was still exactly the same when I tried to start it. I’ll go and stick it on charge now and see what it’s like in the morning with the new battery :thumbsup:

What Nocos have you got?

Got some pics?

Back