Start Stop Alter Min Battery Voltage Level

Rabbit

T6 Pro
Hi
Does anyone know if it is possible to alter the min voltage level in the battery that causes the engine to restart when that point is reached? I havent worked out what that is currently set at mind :rolleyes:, but I would like to increase it by a volt or 2.

Reason, when the voltage on the battery drops below a certain point on a restart the amps reset themselves and go silent for a time, at 10.1 volts everything keeps playing just fine but I'm unsure how much lower I can go, as the amps have a working voltage of 11 to 16v I would ideally like to set the restart point so as it never drops below the 11 volts point.

I'm currently looking into fitting a 2nd battery, but this would be a heck of a lot cheaper if possible. No wish to turn off start-stop as now that I'm use to it, I like it :laugh:

I guess its another one of the bits near the temperature one I used to stop mine working.

Would one of those big capacitors do the trick? Or power the amp from the leisure battery (if you have one)

Stop start is not voltage related more ah capacity of the battery as monitored by the energy management on the van...

So you can use a large CAP like @andys said.

Or fit a stop start disable mod.

Or run the amps from a leisure battery setup.

Thanks for the replies :)

Disabling the start stop doesn’t appeal and I’m not sure a cap would work as there designed for voltage equalisation and short burst of power. I fear they would start to drain power trying to keep the voltage up during the stop period and be long out of juice by the time of the restart (though I could be wrong).

Leisure battery would certainly work though so I’ll go that route. Thanks again for the quick response :)

Power cap would work. It would hold the voltage up during the cranking but having the amps run from the leisure battery is a better idea all round as long as your DC-DC charger is sufficient to keep pace with what the amps draw.

Holy cow . . . 6Farad!!! https://www.amazon.co.uk/Bass-Face-...eywords=power+capacitor&qid=1569919396&sr=8-3

Bass Face CAP6.1 12V 6 Farad Power Capacitor

last time i used one it was the same size and 1 Farad!

Or leisure battery setup.... Maybe go Lithium at the same time?

Stop/start...regen...smart Alternator... Dc-dc Charger For Leisure Battery Or Not?

Lithium Lifepo4 12v Batteries - - - Time For An Upgrade ? - - -

Stop/start Doing Your Head In? Disabling It - How We Done It -

How much power are you pushing @Rabbit ?

two of these would give you 100Amps throughput . . . . but check you have the 160A alternator.

Dual Input 50A In-vehicle DC Battery Charger

Last edited:
Holy cow . . . 6Farad!!! https://www.amazon.co.uk/Bass-Face-...eywords=power+capacitor&qid=1569919396&sr=8-3

Bass Face CAP6.1 12V 6 Farad Power Capacitor

last time i used one it was the same size and 1 Farad!

Or leisure battery setup.... Maybe go Lithium at the same time?

Stop/start...regen...smart Alternator... Dc-dc Charger For Leisure Battery Or Not?

Lithium Lifepo4 12v Batteries - - - Time For An Upgrade ? - - -

Stop/start Doing Your Head In? Disabling It - How We Done It -

How much power are you pushing @Rabbit ?

two of these would give you 100Amps throughput . . . . but check you have the 160A alternator.

Dual Input 50A In-vehicle DC Battery Charger

Wow, would be awesome for spot welding :D Might have to get one for a play

At the moment I'm not sure as I am clearly doing something wrong with the clamp meter :( according to the meter its 11.6 amps which can't be right! Its 3 amps, 2 of which are class AB, there not very efficient compared to the class D sub amp and should be pulling a min of 14 or so amps whether playing music or not. Time for a new meter me thinks :eek:

Last time I measured it was pulling around 40 amps with peaks up to 63 amps. Can say that the van has the 180 amp alternator as that has already been checked

Ok,

so a 40A DC-DC charger (or larger) and a 110Ah (or larger) leisure battery, setup should have you sorted.

then just run all you amps and other new loads from that battery. (start/stop wont effect your tunes anymore)

40A DC-DC to cover the loads drawn and as an average (Music running full vs no music and just recharge)

110Ah or larger to act as a power reservoir (Less wouldn't make much sense @ 50% DOD vs 40Ah recharge rate,,,, make it AGM or Lifepo4 if you can afford)

plus supply and ground cables large enough to carry say 80A from the starter battery to the DC-DC charger which should be located in the van next to your new leisure battery.

plus battery box or hold down clamps.

have a look here:

https://www.travelvolts.net/

and here:

Split Charge Kits, Systems, Components & Tools | SplitCharge.co.uk

and more details at the end of this post:

Installing 12v Socket /s - How Its Done -

You're such a nerd Dell :rolleyes:
Useful one mind :laugh:
Thanks, @Dellmassive your posts have been helpful, :thumbsup: don't think I'll go lithium though :confused: way too many risks for my tastes

Decided on the 2nd battery route as whilst it will cost more, having a leisure battery is always useful for those times I sleep in the back of the van. I'm having some more work done on the audio in a couple of weeks (soundproofing floor) so i'll get the installer to put in the cables at the same time ready for me to connect up on the return.

Just need to decide which DC to DC charger to get now

Back