Coilovers: Stance+ Ultra vs B14 vs V-Maxx

Nick t6

T6 Pro
Hi,

Thought I would give you my opinion on he last three sets of coliovers that I have had on my vans..

Vw t5 lwb sportline - I sold this van about two years ago but I had installed Vmax coliovers with adjustable dampening. The coliovers were on the van for circa 60k and I found them comfortable but not very reassuring around the corners. Probably because I had them on the softest setting and used to get the nodding dog effect. I had them wound down as low as they would go at the front and just levelled up the rear, but still could go lower on the rear. I could have hub modded the front to make it lower, but I was happy with it the way it was.
Only issue I had was one of the rear adjusters shattered one day. No real problem £20 for replacement part.

Summary - soft ride, adjustable dampening was nice although I always had it set to soft after the novelty
wore off.

Pictures below of my t5 with the Vmax. Picture 1 is with 22’s on the other two pictures are with 20’s on.

7B8C794A-D2B2-44EF-8694-28BA70673E22.jpeg

FA7D12F0-B6A9-46C8-9437-9540C49855E9.jpeg

0E3C4B06-778D-465C-A2D1-B36BBC8F398C.jpeg

Vw t6 180bhp lwb - After reading many recommendations about b14’s, I bit the bullet and bought these and the h and r anti roll bar.
I may get shot for this from the b14 worshippers, but I have found them quite a harsh ride and found myself pothole dodging even though I had gone with 19” banded steels with 245-45 tyres. I also had about 20mm of thread on the front shocks left to lower it further, but the further I lowered it the rougher the ride got. The handling though is amazing compared to the Vmax. The van feels like it is on rails with the b14 and h and r arb, but for me I would rather have comfort.

They went as low as the Vmax but could have gone lower with hub if mine wasn’t a t32.

Summary - Hard ride compared to the Vmax, found myself pothole dodging and lots of gritting teeth if I hit a bump too fast. I would not buy these again even if they were half the price.

Pictures below of the t6 with b14’s

D23BB679-0C17-4574-BD4D-40B34144333F.jpeg

359A5288-855A-425F-9F90-04E7407CA5ED.jpeg

8756797E-0419-4707-ABCF-8F156F09CC7A.jpeg

ACA37DA3-4A5D-4D43-BA9A-0E51C22E98D4.jpeg

14AE0ADE-3336-49A1-B714-E8CF010F6D50.jpeg

Vw t6 204bhp lwb - this time I really wanted to go air ride and I may still do it, but for this van I chose Stanced Ultra. The reason for this was a price tag of £600, drop of over 100mm and no negative reviews. (Although there are not many reviews). I fitted these yesterday and have done about 80 miles on them of mixed driving.
I am truly made up with how good they are. They are obviously stiffer than standard but I am definitely not pothole dodging or worrying what road surface I am going over.
The handling is brilliant, and has transformed the wallowing van into something that is quite fun to drive.
The van has dropped about 110mm and still has more to go on both the front and the rear.
Measurements from the centre of the wheel to the top of the wheel arch were 470mm originally and now sits at 360mm with more to go.

Summary - These are my favourite of the three by a long way. The are firm but not harsh or crashy. They make the van feel like a go kart. The range of height adjustability is vast. My only question is what are the “so lows” like ??? I certainly won’t be swapping my Stance to find out.

Not taken any pictures yet, but I will do shortly.

Last edited:
Great thread - you read so many posts (I’m alluding to Facebook here) that slate one brand when the owner is using another, that only then reveal that the owner hasn’t even used the brand that they are slating. It’s good to hear from somebody who’s tried and tested them properly.

Regarding the Stance+, I guess the only thing you can’t yet comment on is lifespan.
But it makes for interesting reading, considering the price tag.

Thanks very much.

I took some pictures of my t6 with the stance coliovers on this morning.

In two weeks my 19” banded steels arrive, so I will take some more pics then.

Before stance ultra fitting

12ABF76E-AF67-4185-A7A8-678B884F81AF.jpeg

DA86D96B-7CF2-44E8-91EE-235799B74E31.jpeg

After fitting stance ultra

D2E4275C-EDB5-46EB-801D-82CB745061B5.jpeg

2CD0D94A-691D-492C-98CD-77C91A62C320.jpeg

96313963-2659-431A-811E-1EE1ADF253F5.jpeg

27957F38-E542-4238-B85B-0CA058BBB4AB.jpeg

DDF3FE8F-0FEB-4D5C-92B9-50D20014E6EF.jpeg

CA60DF50-030E-41C4-80A8-3EDA5B6ADC9D.jpeg

Are you expecting much more of a drop when they settle (how long does it take coilovers to settle?)?

The whole settling thing is a myth, I am sure. I have never seen the height really change once you have installed your coil overs and rolled the van a few hundred yards.

Please remember that all these type are reviews are very subjective and personalised to that individual.
I personally would choose the stance over the b14 because that is my preference based on my experience.
Others may have different opinions. I would love to hear from someone else that has had both sets of coliovers.

Please remember that all these type are reviews are very subjective and personalised to that individual.
I personally would choose the stance over the b14 because that is my preference based on my experience.
Others may have different opinions. I would love to hear from someone else that has had both sets of coliovers.
Hi Nick

How much did you drop with the Ultras?
Mine are being fitted next week all being well, it would be good to know what sort of drop works well with no rubbing etc.

TIA

Deaks :)

Both front and rear are seat about half way on the threads. I may be rising it up a bit when my wheels come next week. I get no rubbing on the davonports even with 5 adults.

Totally understood - The price difference is a bit less subjective though!

The 19” banded steels have arrived and been fitted now. Alignment completed and no rubbing even with the 245-45 tyres.

EB13EC44-7C82-43EA-B6DA-6230B03A4EEF.jpeg E6E04EBE-D74C-4656-9E7A-5AF0553EEC84.jpeg A49D4651-3096-4D89-9E38-68DFBEF0B8EF.jpeg 87A4259C-7CAC-4A7B-8639-C5C73861DA80.jpeg 06F5E52A-738B-490F-B770-5E01B4C0002C.jpeg

The 19” banded steels have arrived and been fitted now.
Alignment completed and no rubbing even with the 245-45 tyres.
Did they need to adjust much?

19 inch banded steels with 245-45s and stance ultra low coilovers, wound half way down.
My front Ultra’s are also about halfway but my rear Ultra spring is at its highest and mainly compressed.
I see from your other thread that you’ve got about 11mm to lift the rear by, still. That’s odd how ours are so different, considering they’re both camper conversions. The weight difference must be considerable.

I telephoned Venom Motorsport and spoke with a bloke named Richard. When I told him how low the van was and what it weighed in at, he said he’d send me some stronger rear springs (he said they used to sell stronger rear springs with the Ultra kit but received negative feedback about the drop not being enough, which led to them replacing it with the current, smaller, spring) so I can jack it up a bit.

I was lucky and they needed no adjustment. I could have dropped it down some more, but when we go camping it has a four bike, tow bar rack on it and I didn’t want it to become a pain to live with.

Strange that your rears are not able to adjust any higher and the springs are compressed. Mine are not like that and my van is fully converted with rib bed etc. Maybe there is some truth from venom motorsport, but have you tried talking to stanced direct ? Maybe they can shed some light on your issue. They seemed like descent, knowledgeable chaps when I bought mine.

My b14’s on my last van were always compressed and had convinced myself that that was the issue with them being a harsh ride.

This is the classic problem with coil overs on transporters the after market coil over kits generally have 1 spring fits all . consider that the standard vans have about 6 different spring rates which form part of the weight carrying rating at the DVLA it simply isnt possible to have one option for springs ( front and Rear ) , the rear does seem to be the biggest problem and it sounds like the Venon guy was switched on enough to realize that a stronger rear spring is necessary on some vehicles especially if the van is modded . . A rear spring turned all the way up ( pretensioned ) is useless to be honest and definately the cause of the harsh ride .
Sport springs and sport shocks give better ride and handling and there is a choice of 6 spring rates which can be matched to each individual application .

Strange that your rears are not able to adjust any higher and the springs are compressed.. Maybe there is some truth from venom motorsport, but have you tried talking to stanced direct?
I’m under the impression they are made by Venom - I bought them from Stanced UK, but rang Venom about the weight query, and that was their solution (as in, they didn’t tell me to ring someone else).
It actually rides fine - granted it’s firmer, but it’s not too much of a bone shaker. I just want the option of lifting it in future (the whole reason I went for coilovers and not springs + shocks).

I thought after 6 months of ownership and approx 8k miles, I should give you all an update on how they are performing.

The ride height has not changed, dropped or sagged at all.

I have had no mechanical issues, not one squeak, rattle or knock.

I am still very impressed with the comfort even though I am quite low (approx 100mm drop) and I could still go down further and don’t feel like it would compromise the ride comfort.

The coil threads are still in very good condition but I did copper slip them from new.

Would I buy these again ? Absolutely. I cannot fault them and I would not change them for anything else that I have previously owned. The only thing that i would trade them in for would be air ride, but the price difference is astronomical and I am really impressed with the Stanced Ultra’s.

Hope this feedback was helpful.

Nick

The whole settling thing is a myth, I am sure. I have never seen the height really change once you have installed your coil overs and rolled the van a few hundred yards.

Absolutely correct , there shouldn't be any settling , A really poor quality product can have spring sagging over time , this is the beginning of the end as the shorter the spring gets after sagging it gets SOFTER , Now with a lower vehicle and softer springs the ride just gets worse.

Hi,

Thought I would give you my opinion on he last three sets of coliovers that I have had on my vans..

Vw t5 lwb sportline - I sold this van about two years ago but I had installed Vmax coliovers with adjustable dampening. The coliovers were on the van for circa 60k and I found them comfortable but not very reassuring around the corners. Probably because I had them on the softest setting and used to get the nodding dog effect. I had them wound down as low as they would go at the front and just levelled up the rear, but still could go lower on the rear. I could have hub modded the front to make it lower, but I was happy with it the way it was.
Only issue I had was one of the rear adjusters shattered one day. No real problem £20 for replacement part.

Summary - soft ride, adjustable dampening was nice although I always had it set to soft after the novelty
wore off.

Pictures below of my t5 with the Vmax. Picture 1 is with 22’s on the other two pictures are with 20’s on.

View attachment 51180

View attachment 51178

View attachment 51179

Vw t6 180bhp lwb - After reading many recommendations about b14’s, I bit the bullet and bought these and the h and r anti roll bar.
I may get shot for this from the b14 worshippers, but I have found them quite a harsh ride and found myself pothole dodging even though I had gone with 19” banded steels with 245-45 tyres. I also had about 20mm of thread on the front shocks left to lower it further, but the further I lowered it the rougher the ride got. The handling though is amazing compared to the Vmax. The van feels like it is on rails with the b14 and h and r arb, but for me I would rather have comfort.

They went as low as the Vmax but could have gone lower with hub if mine wasn’t a t32.

Summary - Hard ride compared to the Vmax, found myself pothole dodging and lots of gritting teeth if I hit a bump too fast. I would not buy these again even if they were half the price.

Pictures below of the t6 with b14’s

View attachment 51181

View attachment 51182

View attachment 51183

View attachment 51184

View attachment 51185

Vw t6 204bhp lwb - this time I really wanted to go air ride and I may still do it, but for this van I chose Stanced Ultra. The reason for this was a price tag of £600, drop of over 100mm and no negative reviews. (Although there are not many reviews). I fitted these yesterday and have done about 80 miles on them of mixed driving.
I am truly made up with how good they are. They are obviously stiffer than standard but I am definitely not pothole dodging or worrying what road surface I am going over.
The handling is brilliant, and has transformed the wallowing van into something that is quite fun to drive.
The van has dropped about 110mm and still has more to go on both the front and the rear.
Measurements from the centre of the wheel to the top of the wheel arch were 470mm originally and now sits at 360mm with more to go.

Summary - These are my favourite of the three by a long way. The are firm but not harsh or crashy. They make the van feel like a go kart. The range of height adjustability is vast. My only question is what are the “so lows” like ??? I certainly won’t be swapping my Stance to find out.

Not taken any pictures yet, but I will do shortly.

Interesting comments made on this article particularly the B 14 ride quality. It is hugely supported by accessory dealers in UK but I have often said that the use of mono tube shocks is the reason and i have spoken to many B 14 buyers with the same dissatisfied opinion. The Stance of course are Dual tube as most of the other kits are, It is more comfortable !! . I must also say that the big drops are also a problem and generally anyone lowering more than 70 to 80 mm mustn't expect any hi levels of comfort , there simply isnt any magic here the lower you go the more uncomfortable and practical the vehicle gets . Front Hub mods and rear spring mount mods are really not main stream practices and not recommended if you do not know what you are getting involved with .

I have read this post and wondering if I should cancel my order for B14 and go for the stance+ ultra on my T32 instead...

I would consider the KONI / H&R coil over kit it is the best kit available ( TOP END ) do some research on this forum to get some confirmation . Not crashy or hard like the Bilstein , adjustable damping so we set them up to control extra weight of wheels and driving style , Its the only kit that do this in situ , Same price as the retail on B 14 but sadly we cant discount like the B 14 traders seem to do ? . This is a no brain decision if you were ready to buy a kit over £ 1000 ,00

Steve,

That’s the mile stone I believe
Long time player in the market B14,s at £950 and the newer kid on the block at £1200
I know you should get what you pay for Blah Blah Blah
But people notice the £250 differences before most other influencing factors
Andy

Having been down lowering springs, B14’s and VB air, next stop H&R
Lowering Springs - crashy
B14’s - Firm & crashy
VB Air - no feeling through steering/ very light

probably spent the best part of £7k on suspension in the last few years

Having been down lowering springs, B14’s and VB air, next stop H&R
Lowering Springs - crashy
B14’s - Firm & crashy
VB Air - no feeling through steering/ very light

probably spent the best part of £7k on suspension in the last few years
Will be good to hear you feelings on the H&R route after trying other favoured setups.
I was taken for a drive in a Kombi with B14's wound down to about halfway and on 19's. I was impressed with them compared to my -40mm springs but i decided to go the H&R Koni route because I have bigger heavier wheels and wanted to run lower than the B14 setup i had experienced.
I'm glad I did. IMO I believe that the ride is more comfortable at the lower setting that I run and with my 20's. I was very dubious about the comfort level i would receive from them but have been pleasantly surprised. It is definitely firmer but it soaks up the bumps much better, has reduced the pitching and rolling hugely. I feels much more like a car now and i have a decent feel through the steering wheel that i thought the previous set up lacked.

Back