Stance+ Ultra front knocking on T6. Bushes?

MBA77

Hi Everyone,

I know that there are a few threads on here mentioning this very problem but I cannot find an answer.

Fitted Stance + Ultras to my 2017 T6 Multivan and have experienced a minor knocking noise in the front ever since (mainly at low speeds and also when turning into carparks, driveways, etc).

It is like the tall strut nut that goes on the top of the coilover strut assembly is too tall and prevents the stop cup from sitting hard against the body of the van when the final top nut is tightened.

I've had coilovers previously on a T5 with absolutely no issues. Are the T6 top mounts and bearings thinner than the T5 variety?

Any assistance would be appreciated.

Cheers,

It happens on both sides and is more noticeable over very small bumps at low speeds. I’d even say it happens more on acceleration rather than slowing down. You don’t really feel it over speed humps but perhaps the shock absorber/damper movement hides the noise/sensation over bigger bumps.
I’m getting new Meyle HD top mounts and bearings fitted Friday. Will get the mechanic to have a good look at everything including drop links. Somethings not right.

My Ultra’s have been fine, so it’ll be interesting to see what your mechanic says.
What mileage have they done?

Unfortunately not. Replaced top mounts and also did new drop links but still has the slight knock sound. To make matters worse the springs also now make a twanging sound when turning at low speeds!! I’ve been advised that my lower control arm bushes are shagged so they are getting done next week. Becoming a money pit......

I had this very same issue, purchased power flex ARB bushes and it’s gone thank god.
I did top mounts and was drop links first

Yings. Doesn't sound good. Although your shocks have only done 5,000 km, what's the van done.

Venom Motorsport are the suppliers here inn the UK and want me to buy a new shock and return the faulty one so they can have a look but that ain't possible just now (plus the additional cost of shipping and fitting). They have suggested new drop links but we'll see. The condition of mine are great after only 6 months on UK roads, and 3,000 miles.IMG_1410.JPGIMG_1401.JPG

I had this very same issue, purchased power flex ARB bushes and it’s gone thank god.
I did top mounts and was drop links first
Thanks mate, that’s good to know. Might get some Superpro ARB bushes and replace at the same time. The ARB bushes are quite a cheap replacement.

Yings. Doesn't sound good. Although your shocks have only done 5,000 km, what's the van done.

Venom Motorsport are the suppliers here inn the UK and want me to buy a new shock and return the faulty one so they can have a look but that ain't possible just now (plus the additional cost of shipping and fitting). They have suggested new drop links but we'll see. The condition of mine are great after only 6 months on UK roads, and 3,000 miles.View attachment 83666View attachment 83667
My van is a 2017 model and has only done 32,000 kms. I think our roads must be better in Oz than what you guys have in the UK. Mine still look like they are fresh out of the box. A little bit of paint has come off the front springs where the coils have rubbed together.
I did wonder if my shocks were dodgy but reckon it has to be one of the bushes. I’ll keep you posted on what the outcome is.

If the spring is turning then will it not be a faulty top mount? I have just had this on the caddy exactly the same as yours. I replaced it with another new unit and it was ok.

My van is a 2017 model and has only done 32,000 kms. I think our roads must be better in Oz than what you guys have in the UK. Mine still look like they are fresh out of the box. A little bit of paint has come off the front springs where the coils have rubbed together.
I did wonder if my shocks were dodgy but reckon it has to be one of the bushes. I’ll keep you posted on what the outcome is.
What was the outcome?

Unfortunately it still has the knock!! I think that next time I get a service (due in a few thousand kms) I might get them to replace the upper and lower ball joints and see if that fixes the problem.
I would nearly call it a rattle as opposed to an actual knock and it only does it over small undulations (not over speed humps and big bumps that fully engage the shock absorbers).

Unfortunately it still has the knock!! I think that next time I get a service (due in a few thousand kms) I might get them to replace the upper and lower ball joints and see if that fixes the problem.
I would nearly call it a rattle as opposed to an actual knock and it only does it over small undulations (not over speed humps and big bumps that fully engage the shock absorbers).
Did you replace ARB bushes at all?

Yep. I have done the top mounts, drop links, lower control arm bushes and ARB bushes. I’m running out of things to replace.....

Back