Staggered wheels on 4motion

Fromow

VIP Member
T6 Pro
Hi all, so the current set up is 275-40-20s on ATS 9.5-20 et35 all round.
Im on the look out for New wheels and tyres as the fronts (9.5j) are going to rub on the outer wing if I go any lower. I’ve been looking a various makes and brands and want to go staggered 8.5J/ 10j.
Is this possible on a 4motion and what tyres do people use on this configuration.

Have a read of this thread, post 12 relates, good advice from an expert;
and;

Hi all, so the current set up is 275-40-20s on ATS 9.5-20 et35 all round.
Im on the look out for New wheels and tyres as the fronts (9.5j) are going to rub on the outer wing if I go any lower. I’ve been looking a various makes and brands and want to go staggered 8.5J/ 10j.
Is this possible on a 4motion and what tyres do people use on this configuration.
Are you T32, 30, 28? It is possible to run staggered tyres, but it depends on load rating requirement for what you can legally get away with. You’re trying to keep diameter and therefore circumference the same front to back on the 4 motion.

For example, T32 legal staggered setup for 4motion would be 275/40 rear and 245/45 fronts. This gives very close diameter and circumference.

You can run 265/40 rear and 235/45 fronts, again, very close diameter and circumference, but you would struggle to find tyres in 235/45 that are load rated high enough for anything over T28.

Are you T32, 30, 28? It is possible to run staggered tyres, but it depends on load rating requirement for what you can legally get away with. You’re trying to keep diameter and therefore circumference the same front to back on the 4 motion.

For example, T32 legal staggered setup for 4motion would be 275/40 rear and 245/45 fronts. This gives very close diameter and circumference.

You can run 265/40 rear and 235/45 fronts, again, very close diameter and circumference, but you would struggle to find tyres in 235/45 that are load rated high enough for anything over T28.
Thank for your response it’s a T30

Have a read of this thread, post 12 relates, good advice from an expert;
and;

cheers I’ll take a look

On that rim size, we would fit and recommend a 265/40. Keeps the tyre the same size which is crucial on a 4Motion. And both work with the widths. Look at the pure grey t6 thread on here from us, that’s running these sizes

On that rim size, we would fit and recommend a 265/40. Keeps the tyre the same size which is crucial on a 4Motion. And both work with the widths. Look at the pure grey t6 thread on here from us, that’s running these sizes
That was a killer looking van!!! What was the ET of the wheels they look to poke out a bit more than I wanted really.

sorry to go over old ground, but having read the above postings, I’m still a bit unsure as to what’s okay mechanically or even legally from an mot perspective: So really appreciate your thoughts on this please.

so current my set up, which I bought in total ignorance is 275/40/20 8.5j front, 275/40/20 10j rear on 4motion. Apparently (according to will they fit.com) this equates to 2mm difference, is this okay in terms of 4motion health, and secondly what about mot ?

I’m not precious of the current set up and always intended to put 18” Swamper style rims on, is this a more sensible option…? having said that, if all is okay, I will leave it.
cheers

You will have no problems with the 4 motion with this tyre size, as its the same size - Although technically too wide for the front 8.5. We run a 265/40 for this setup with the correct weight ratings. There will be no issues MOT wise either

HTH

Great news, many thanks for taking the time to reply.
You can replace the front tyres with 245/45/20 which are the same circumference and the way they sit on the 8.5 they look the same overhang as the 10’s on the rear.
Steering is much better too.

You can replace the front tyres with 245/45/20 which are the same circumference and the way they sit on the 8.5 they look the same overhang as the 10’s on the rear.
Steering is much better too.
It’s not the same, It’s a slightly different RR to about 1.4%, which isn’t massive I know. But with a vehicle in warranty(not sure of this one is) be very careful running different size tyres front and rear on a 4-Motion.
If there is a transmission or gearbox issue the dealer will look at this first and will have a get out clause on warranty- I’ve seen this happen first hand.

HTH

It’s not the same, It’s a slightly different RR to about 1.4%, which isn’t massive I know. But with a vehicle in warranty(not sure of this one is) be very careful running different size tyres front and rear on a 4-Motion.
If there is a transmission or gearbox issue the dealer will look at this first and will have a get out clause on warranty- I’ve seen this happen first hand.

HTH
Err, really?
There is more difference in rolling diameter relative to pressure or how worn the fronts and rears are.
And if you drive around a bend.
Makes no sense…

Err, really?
There is more difference in rolling diameter relative to pressure or how worn the fronts and rears are.
And if you drive around a bend.
Makes no sense…
Yup!

Thats main dealers for you - Best not to give them an excuse for warranty work rejection.....they have to follow procedures!

HTH
Just going off the willtheyfit calculation the difference in circumference is shown as 1.6mm over 2287.1mm which is about 0.07% difference if I’m reading it correctly.0A5DD0FA-AB49-4EB0-B7ED-E047F261F6E7.png

Back