Staggered 20s and Cali / Caravelle sliding-door trims..

r8ger

VIP Member
T6 Pro
I’ve just been reading an old post regarding 20” staggered alloys rubbing the door cards on a caravelle? Does anyone know if this is down to the wheel/tyre combo or will this happen with any set up? I’m looking to go down the staggered route with either LV-1 or the Judd 311’s

TIA

Yes it’s a total PITA. To run the wheel you want with the extra deep door card of a Caravelle or California you will need to modify the door card at the bottom corner

Yes it’s a total PITA. To run the wheel you want with the extra deep door card of a Caravelle or California you will need to modify the door card at the bottom corner
my dreams are shattered!! Any idea what I will get away with then? Going to end up with coilovers aswell if that makes a difference. I don’t fancy chopping the door cards up as I will probably F¥ck them up. Thanks for the info. Worth knowing before buying them.

Just need to dremal the bottom rear corner. But you still have to be careful what you are running width use. Et45 with a 265/40 10” touches, but you can still open and close the door.

Last edited:
I had similar issues with my velle. If it helps
my fronts on a 9x20 et45 with 275 40 20 rubbed on full lock. The rears are 9.5 x 20 et37 and with the 275s on the sliding door was rubbing on the tyre. Dropped them to 255 40 20 alround and no rubbing. Was an expensive mistake. If it was a kombi I think it would have been fine it was just the velle door card that was the problem

Hi, Thanks for the reply and great info.

@Stevefrs- have you any pics of your caravelle with this set up please?

@Oli- is the door card very noticeable once its been cut? do you have any pics of one that been modified at all?

I would still like to go ahead with the staggered look if at all possible, does you know the exact offset needed for the judd311's to work with modified door cards?

Last edited:
Hi, Thanks for the reply and great info.

Stevefrs- have you any pics of your caravelle with this set up please?

Oli- is the door card very noticeable once its been cut? do you have any pics of one that been modified at all?

I would still like to go ahead with the staggered look if at all possible, does you know the exact offset needed for the judd311's to work with modified door cards?
@r8ger you’ll want to stick an ‘@‘ sign in front of users’ names if you want them to get a notification of your message (in case they haven’t subscribed to the thread).

I have photos of them on but not with the narrower tyres . From memory it is still very close but no longer rubbing so not sure if a 265 would still catch.
You can use my offset, wheel and tyre sizes on willtheyfit and it will show how much more they will poke out( or not). Remember though the tyre width does not necessarily mean the real width. My uniroyals measure as 295mm wide on a 275 due to rim protector etc. With the 275 fitted you could watch the door get pushed out due to this.

So worst case scenario I'm going to have to cut the cards if i want to go bigger than 255/265 wide? im wondering if its worth all the hassle and maybe just go 9jx20 all round and space the back a little?

@Stevefrs what alloys were you running? Is the issue of rubbing purely the tyre size or would certain alloys also potentially catch?
im now thinking 20x9.5 Judd 311 all round With 255/40 as suggested

I run a brock 37 alloy during summer. Offset is the key. Higher than et37 would be ok.
Yes it was the tyres catching. Some tyres may not be as wide and may allow a wider fit.
Are you fitting to a t32 or other.
20200215_103202.jpg

Thanks they look great! Mine is a t30. I have read that the Judd 311’s offset comes in 20-45 so I assume I can get hold of higher than 37 with these?
thanks again

Just need to dremal the bottom rear corner. But you still have to be careful what you are running width use. Et45 with a 265/40 10” touches, but you can still open and close the door.
[/QUOTE

@BognorMotors do you know if Judd 311’s et45 9.5j will rub the door card? Any idea on tyre size to go for with this set up?

TIA

It will Be very close, dependant on tyre. We supply Judds but have never fitted to a Caravelle/California with the bigger door card.
Id go with a 265/40. And you can’t see the door card when cut.
I’d recommend staggered 9/9.5 - this setup looks awesome.

I think you would need to go Et45 to be safe, or maybe get away with et42. As the setup you suggest sits approx 1.7mm slightly further in than what we’ve previously done, so I suspect will still rub.

I think you would need to go Et45 to be safe, or maybe get away with et42. As the setup you suggest sits approx 1.7mm slightly further in than what we’ve previously done, so I suspect will still rub.
@BognorMotors

i test fitted a banded amarok wheel yesterday on my cali and the door just catches the tyre.

If I pull the door outwards it's less, but still it rubbs.

i'm running 8,5 x 18 banded steels with a general grabber at3 in 235/55 18

do you have a picture of the modified doorcards?

my idea would be to try and slim down the door card at the rear where it's attached to the door. no idea whether this is possible.

another plan would be to put some washers under the center sliding rail

Any experience with the above 'solutions'?

@BognorMotors

i test fitted a banded amarok wheel yesterday on my cali and the door just catches the tyre.

If I pull the door outwards it's less, but still it rubbs.

i'm running 8,5 x 18 banded steels with a general grabber at3 in 235/55 18

do you have a picture of the modified doorcards?

my idea would be to try and slim down the door card at the rear where it's attached to the door. no idea whether this is possible.

another plan would be to put some washers under the center sliding rail

Any experience with the above 'solutions'?

Hello

I have no pictures I'm afraid. Yours is touching very lightly, so should be an easy fix

On the vehicles, we have modified we have removed the door cards, we've marked where the wheel touches and just 'dremell' a slither off - Just keep test fitting the card, till there is enough room. You will find the amount you remove doesn't alter the structure of the door card, and because of where it is you cant see it with the door open or closed.

We have a Caravelle here today for a few days for some work, and we are fitting staggered wheels too, so may have to do this - I will be sure to get some pics and videos and stick them up here to help you

Back