Squealing Or Squeaky Pulley Wheel

DubiousEngineering

T6 Pro
hey all...

When I first start the van in the morning I hear an intermittent squeaking noise for about 1minute ... it sounds like pulley belt bearings...

Has anybody else experienced this on their van? ... it’s only got 30k miles ...

Anyone got advice on where to look?

I’ll get the camera out soon and make a video on it if it helps people.

Thanks!!

Howard

Possibly the tensioner pulley,

Warranty swap out job... what engine have you got again?

Thanks guys... I'm gonna check this out, and may make a little video if I can be arsed and have the ability to get the camera into the engine-bay :)

As above, probably the same squeal that was on mine before I had the belt tensioner changed under warranty just over a month ago by VW Hatfield.

Mine has developed a light squeak on starting which fades after a few mins but doesn't go away. It only seemed to happen after prolonged minimal usage during lockdown, but it's done several 200+ mile trips since then with no change. Is it an expensive job getting the belt tensioner done, I'm out of warranty?

@Loz

Time for a new resource......?

Aux belt tensioner pully replacement.?

Having watched these two videos it doesn't look like something I could manage myself, access looks really awkward.

I've decided this is beyond my abiility. Best price I've found was £209 for belt and tensioner inc vat and labour, but I can't find anywhere that can do it for another week and I'm off to Scotland at the beginning of next week. Am I ok to leave it til I get back and put up with an ever increasing squeal?

I've decided this is beyond my abiility. Best price I've found was £209 for belt and tensioner inc vat and labour, but I can't find anywhere that can do it for another week and I'm off to Scotland at the beginning of next week. Am I ok to leave it til I get back and put up with an ever increasing squeal?
Ok I finally got round to taking this into a garage to have it done. They’ve just rung to say that they’ve replaced the belt and tensioner as requested but when they drove it out to park, the noise is still there. So I got p!ss wet through leaving it there and am £209 lighter for nothing. They don’t have time to investigate it today as they’re fully booked. I was convinced that’s what it was, spraying moly on the belt stopped the noise completely for 10-20 seconds. My fault for not booking it in for them to investigate but I was trying to avoid 2 visits. I think I’ll have to bite the bullet and take it to Sheffield JCT this time, I need it sorting and at least they’d have parts and be able to diagnose and fix in one visit hopefully

Well I took it back to the same place and I’m glad I did. After investigating they found that the idler pulley had been packed with grease for some reason and that when dry it was squealing which disappeared when hot. Cleaned it out and silence, only charged me £36 for the time.
As to how it got there, they said it was the same grease that had been packed into the replacement CV boot done elsewhere after THQ butchered it when doing suspension mods, but still couldn’t understand how/why it was there. It’ll have to remain a mystery, I’m just pleased it’s been sorted for next to nothing and I’ve found an indy I can trust (Warmsworth Service Centre for anyone in Donny).

Well I took it back to the same place and I’m glad I did. After investigating they found that the idler pulley had been packed with grease for some reason and that when dry it was squealing which disappeared when hot. Cleaned it out and silence, only charged me £36 for the time.
As to how it got there, they said it was the same grease that had been packed into the replacement CV boot done elsewhere after THQ butchered it when doing suspension mods, but still couldn’t understand how/why it was there. It’ll have to remain a mystery, I’m just pleased it’s been sorted for next to nothing and I’ve found an indy I can trust (Warmsworth Service Centre for anyone in Donny).
Hi mate was this on a T6. I’ve got similar noise on my T6 90k miles.

Hi mate was this on a T6. I’ve got similar noise on my T6 90k miles.

Yes mate 13k miles. i will be speaking to the dealer this morning and or VW assist.

sorry wrong thread. i posted about a similar problem last night, see this thread Cam & Aux Belt Tensioner Noise, Recorded.

Back