Squeak/Screech when Pulling Away?

Jonny

204PS/Highline/Kombi/LWB/T32
T6 Guru
My van has developed a squeak/screech when pulling away. Only happens in first gear.

The van is only 3 months old, doesn't sound like it comes from the engine bay either (otherwise I would've guessed a belt issue). Almost half way down instead.

Can anyone help?

Here's a quick vid pulling away...

Last edited:
Does sound like a belt slipping, here's a thread where theirs was shot in 8k https://www.t6forum.com/threads/auxiliary-belt-shredded-8-000-miles.2293/#post-38957
Well it sounded mental this morning. AA came out and checked belts which ended up being fine. My van is now at VW since this morn and I've just been told by them my belts are fine too. Not sure how long they're going to keep it in for. Apparently, they've not heard of this type of problem before which hardly puts my mind at rest. But, hopefully it's a minor issue. Loner vehicle is a Caddy Maxi and within 10 yards I started missing my T6.

Well it sounded mental this morning. AA came out and checked belts which ended up being fine. My van is now at VW since this morn and I've just been told by them my belts are fine too. Not sure how long they're going to keep it in for. Apparently, they've not heard of this type of problem before which hardly puts my mind at rest. But, hopefully it's a minor issue. Loner vehicle is a Caddy Maxi and within 10 yards I started missing my T6.
Hope you get it sorted soon fella :thumbsup: let us know how you get on

VW rang me asking me to pick up my van in the morning as they can't identify the problem. Apparently it's not made a noise since they've had it for the last two days...

Why, all of a sudden, is it fine? It was constantly making that squeal to the point I can even get it on video.

I kinda feel stupid them telling me there's nothing wrong. Do I just pick it up and go away?

Turned up this morning to pick up the van and as soon as I pull away it makes the screeching noise. Luckily the guy who works for VW heard it too as he was walking back in. I still can't believe they couldn't find the issue when it was in their possession. He kinda shrugged his shoulders and didn't know what to suggest. All he could say was that he'll speak to his manager. I have a feeling I've done the wrong thing by picking it up and taking it away.

Ask to see the workshop notes, find out how long they spent looking at it. The standard VW policy seems to be to deny any faults and then hope you get hacked off bringing the van in again and again.
You should have thrown the keys back at them and told them to do their effing job properly.
Take it back and ask for their demonstrator as a loaner.

Ask the if a new van that screeches when pulling away is a good advert and if so you will put it in the Windows saying you too can buy a van that does this, by going to... The dealers name :thumbsup: another point is.. At least nobody will want/be able to nick it!

Ask the if a new van that screeches when pulling away is a good advert and if so you will put it in the Windows saying you too can buy a van that does this, by going to... The dealers name :thumbsup: another point is.. At least nobody will want/be able to nick it!
That is tempting!! I'm not the most confrontational person and I think I'm being taken for a ride. But what's worse, as I just started writing this message someone has just driven past the back of my van...I can't catch a break!!!!

IMG_2139.JPG

Argh crap m8, sorry about that.. Have a shuffty at it, is it able to polish out with G3 (halfords) as don't think that the bumper is black underneath the White? Might be their paint?

I had the same problem. Two month old sportline sounds like a steam train pulling out of kings cross with a full load and drive wheels skidding on the rails. A real metal on metal sound. I have a friend at a local VW conversion company he said it will be a small stone stuck between the rear brake guard. They usually clear themselves. But I've never had this on any other vehicles before. My sweak sorted itself out, presumably stone fell out. But I was stuck with it for a few weeks.

Did the noise disappear after time?
Only when the warmer weather came in or when the engine is up to temperature.

Winter time and pulling away when the engine is still cold makes the squeak appear for some reason.

Back