Spreader clips

Pete C

VIP Member
T6 Legend
This morning I started the H4 to H7 upgrade which is well documented on this forum.

There are what VW calls “spreader clips“ used to secure the top of the bumper assembly, and where the assembly attaches to the wings. They seem to be different sizes.
To cut a long story short, these are buggers to release, and I reckon some are going to break, so I abandoned the upgrade today, until I get some spares to replace those that do break.

So simple question - does anyone know the part numbers or got a link to what I need ? As above, I think there are 2 different sizes in use here.

Thanks,

Pete

I see that they are also called spreader rivets too.

Pete

Answering my own question - found this thread:

And after further ferreting around and measuring, it looks like the clips that hold the front assembly to the wing in the wheel liner area are 8mm, and those that hold it in the engine bay are slightly different, and 7mm.

Having already broken one of the 7mm ones, and one of the 8mm rivets is only coming to come out if I cut it out, I have ordered replacements from eBay ready for when I try this again.

Pete

Pete,

I similarly abandoned my H7 install because of the same though it was only just above freezing when I started the job.

Swapped them successfully a couple of weeks ago and I gave the clips a shot of WD40 which seemed to help getting the pin out. I started them with a big flat head screwdriver then switched to the trim tool once they had started moving. All out no breakages (for once!)

I did however break some of the bumper fixing barbs that are just below the grill!!

Ian
FE659EDA-B932-40F5-A475-4CE641BDD709.jpeg

Back