Spray Glue Removal

Yzfr1

VIP Member
T6 Guru
Hi.......anyone have ideas on what to use to remove a couple of bits of stay glue from my carpet I lined the van with yesterday.
I had a couple of miss aims and got the finished sides....doh

Have used acetone to remove glue from fibreglass - it softens it to a gooey mess. Whether you could do it on carpet I don't know, used lightly and scraping with a couple of old credit card to avoid damage is how I would tackle it. It would need to be done carefully to avoid making more of a mess. I wouldn't soak the carpet with it though as you could end up ruining the backing and glue holding the carpet on. Try with a few dabs of the wife's ( or your own :) ) nail polish remover before rushing out and buying a larger quantity.

In order of severity and strength, I use:
1. Isopropanol (Iso propyl alcohol)
2. Zippo lighter fluid
3. Thinners (acetone)

I'll try the credit card thing first....steal mine back from the Mrs.
Then I'll try my nail varnish remover if that don't work.
Cheers fella.

I meant light application of acetone and scraping at the glue with the card as using a cloth tends to force the glue further into the carpet.

I have some of that....I'll give that a go...cheers people.
The sooner you do it the better as the solvent is still present and the alcohol breaks it down and the glue falls apart, once it’s dried out it’s a completely different game.

Due to the weather being so poop today and my kids being a bit demanding with my time I haven't had a chance to try anything yet. Needless to say the glue will be rock solid now.
Hopefully I'll get a few minutes tomorrow to have a go.

Back