Regen - completes after engine shut down?

MDS

Just wondered if anyone else had noticed it?
Van temperature gauges all read normal but 50% of the time after you stop, the fan cuts in. Sometimes it actually smells quite hot!
Is this a new vehicle thing? All part of running in etc?
Thinking about it, the wife's 1 year old Yeti's fan quite often cuts in. Maybe a characteristic of new VW engines?
Don't ever recall the old T5 ever needed the fan to run, not even in summer tragic jams!

Its to do with the dpf regen.I find it seems to do it more after shorter trips. I guessing on longer trips it will carry ot out whilst driving.

Yes shorter trips and it can come on. Hot plastics burning smell is as its new. First new VW I ever had (my Tiguan), I thought the electrics had caught fire then realised it was the fan lol! Think it's better it's coming on than not at all.

My 204 dsg did 5 re gens yesterday ,all quiet close together .my journeys were all relatively short .Has anyone else had this happen ?

My 204 dsg did 5 re gens yesterday ,all quiet close together .my journeys were all relatively short .Has anyone else had this happen ?

How do you know?
A few people on here are confusing the fan on with a Regen when that isn't the case. A Regen cycle is usually a set amount of time too. If you don't do that full time Regen it will make up for it later during another journey. I get through 2 per tank which is every 5 days.

How do you know?
A few people on here are confusing the fan on with a Regen when that isn't the case. A Regen cycle is usually a set amount of time too. If you don't do that full time Regen it will make up for it later during another journey. I get through 2 per tank which is every 5 days.
The tickover was up before stopping,so I thought that was I sign it was regening .
Would not of thought the fan would just come on with the journeys I did .

Higher idle can be from alt recharge when unable to regenerative breaking from motorway journey when alternator isn't charging.

My t5 fan rarely ever came on but that's intercooled.
The t6 does come on alot however the Euro 6 are chargecooled so the coolant for the turbo air outlet radiator needs cooling somehow.

Did the normal swimming lesson trip last night. On finishing, i drove the van the short journey home. The engine sounded, well, a bit weird. Gentle acceleration in second gear produced a kind of erm, quiet grinding noise?? I drove round the block to confirm it. When i pulled up outside the house and switched off, the fan(?) Kept running for a few minutes. Sounded like a 747 coming in to land and there was a slight hot burning smell from the engine. I checked her over, cant see anything immediately wrong.

I've been searching the forum. Now, is it doing a regen??

(T30 102 manual, 11700 miles)

My fan stays on when i get in to work some times as i think it is still cooling down from a regen. Never had a problem with it, all runs fine.

Yeah you cant miss the regen induced jet turbine lurking under your bonnet, its perfectly normal although that hot rubbery burning smell is quite off putting
This occurs when your van hasnt completed a regen (or hasnt completed cooling down after a regen) and you turn of the ignition
FWIW mine did it a fair bit when it was new and it settled down with time after around 10k was a lot less common

Is that the first time it’s done that KombiKommando? I’m surprised it’s not happened before; the grinding noise is slightly odd.

But it does sound like you got VWs special “telling off” for daring to drive less than the minimum 9.74 miles and failing to sustain 3246rpm for less than 73 seconds.

Or something like that.

I've noticed a couple of times now in cold weather after a short trip that there is quiet whinning noise when I switch off the engine. Like a pump or small fan. Its not the main radiator fan as thats an unmistakable sound. Seems be just forward of the fuel tank. Switches off after a minute or less. Thought I also saw a whisp of white diesel smoke emerge too.

Is this related to a regen cycle, where it's not hot enough to require the radiator fan?

Its the first time I've noticed it. (I drive a works D-Max and the wife has the van everyday. Its the first time I've noticed it. The mrs did say 'oh it happens a lot i dont pay any attention to it......' but shes blonde and neither of us are bloody mechanics so........... lol

Its the first time I've noticed it. (I drive a works D-Max and the wife has the van everyday. Its the first time I've noticed it. The mrs did say 'oh it happens a lot i dont pay any attention to it......' but shes blonde and neither of us are bloomin mechanics so........... lol

Ha ha sounds familiar!
While my missus is generally a decent driver, it was her who gouged a 3ft scrape into our old Cali when it was three months old. Not long afterwards she reversed our old BM (with reversing sensors) into another BM...!

Ha ha sounds familiar!
While my missus is generally a decent driver, it was her who gouged a 3ft scrape into our old Cali when it was three months old. Not long afterwards she reversed our old BM (with reversing sensors) into another BM...!
Probably did not like the other BM

Back