Sportline springs compressed: Suspension Advice?

Jamesh

Hi, been lurking for a while but this is my first post.

Had new suspension springs fitted by VW last month. Long story short, it was fairly terrible service but two rear springs had actually broken and it needed doing urgently.

Since then, the ride has been very harsh, especially in the back. I don't know much about suspension but had a look around the van this evening. The back seems to have dropped so I had a look and was surprised at how compacted the rear springs are. I've added a pic - is this normal?

The front suspension measures 41mm from arch to middle of wheel hub. The rear measure 38.5mm, so it's clearly sitting lower at the back. The garage said they'd fitted Sportline springs.

Thing is, my van is a camper with some real weight in the back. Do I need heavy duty springs?

Any advice would be most welcome.

(my van is a 2013 T5 T30 140 4 motion)

IMG_8874.jpgIMG_8880 2.jpg

Last edited:
Hi, been lurking for a while but this is my first post.

Had new suspension springs fitted by VW last month. Long story short, it was fairly terrible service but two rear springs had actually broken and it needed doing urgently.

Since then, the ride has been very harsh, especially in the back. I don't know much about suspension but had a look around the van this evening. The back seems to have dropped so I had a look and was surprised at how compacted the rear springs are. I've added a pic - is this normal?

The front suspension measures 41mm from arch to middle of wheel hub. The rear measure 38.5mm, so it's clearly sitting lower at the back. The garage said they'd fitted Sportline springs.

Thing is, my van is a camper with some real weight in the back. Do I need heavy duty springs?

Any advice would be most welcome.

(my van is a 2013 T5 T30 140 4 motion)

View attachment 121964View attachment 121965
If @CRS Performance or @Chilli Jam Vans are about I’d appreciate their thoughts.

Those springs look coil bound. There is no travel for the spring to move up and down .
There should be space between the coils.
Here is a picture of my original spring to show difference. The weight of the van is too heavy for the spring. 20200724_103540.jpg

Thanks for the reply. That's what I thought. These were put on new at a UK VW van centre last month. I've got a T5 4 motion that's kitted out as a camper.
I'm thinking that they've put springs on that just aren't designed for the extra weight in the van. Need to to go back .

Those springs look coil bound. There is no travel for the spring to move up and down .
There should be space between the coils.
Here is a picture of my original spring to show difference. The weight of the van is too heavy for the spring. View attachment 122268
Thanks for the reply. That's what I thought. These were put on new at a UK VW van centre last month. I've got a T5 4 motion that's kitted out as a camper.
I'm thinking that they've put springs on that just aren't designed for the extra weight in the van. Need to to go back .

The camper and the all wheel drive are just too much for those springs ( too heavy ) , Idiots put them in who know nothing about suspension clearly /

The spring is collapsed so not fit for purpose and at that height the shocks will be completely compressed and the van is riding on the bump stops .

Need to go to a standard rear spring to balance the rear to the front , I assume the front dropped 40 mm or there abouts ( could be the 4 wd is making the front a bit lower than it should be too )

Where are you based ?

Hi, thanks for the reply. I’m based near Oxford.
VW centre fitted this - I’m not too keen to go back to them because their service was terrible and this is what I’ve ended up with l!

The camper and the all wheel drive are just too much for those springs ( too heavy ) , Idiots put them in who know nothing about suspension clearly /

The spring is collapsed so not fit for purpose and at that height the shocks will be completely compressed and the van is riding on the bump stops .

Need to go to a standard rear spring to balance the rear to the front , I assume the front dropped 40 mm or there abouts ( could be the 4 wd is making the front a bit lower than it should be too )

Where are you based ?
VW centre fitted this - I’m not too keen to go back to them because their service was terrible and this is what I’ve ended up with l!

Where are you based ?

Presumably they have fitted springs to match the VIN number, therefore factory spec, not taking into account the weight of the conversion, so how would a standard rear spring as you suggest help?

Presumably they have fitted springs to match the VIN number, therefore factory spec, not taking into account the weight of the conversion, so how would a standard rear spring as you suggest help?
I would guess they have taken a box that says Transporter and think it will fit any transporter , this is the problem a lot of dealers have when fitting coil over kits as well . if they arent fit for purpose they wont work , We have dozens of vans here fitted out by reputable companies and VW dealers and they are all too low as there can never be a "One spring fits all" scenario with transporters , the weight range is too vast .

You’re entitled to a refund as the VW Van Centre have no provided you with equipment that is fit for service, I’d be straight on to them.

So, I called the van centre up and finally got through this evening. I'm taking it to them on Wednesday with the view that I'm entitled to 'repair or replacement' under the Consumer Rights Act.

The springs they put on were supposed to be 'like for like' 30mm lowering springs (they took Eibach Sportline off). Any suggestions on what I should say regarding correct springs? A mate thought I should ask for T32 springs but
@CRS Performance - you suggest standard length?

So, I called the van centre up and finally got through this evening. I'm taking it to them on Wednesday with the view that I'm entitled to 'repair or replacement' under the Consumer Rights Act.

The springs they put on were supposed to be 'like for like' 30mm lowering springs (they took Eibach Sportline off). Any suggestions on what I should say regarding correct springs? A mate thought I should ask for T32 springs but
@CRS Performance - you suggest standard length?
from the measurements you gave a T 30 standard spring should get us where we need to be , ( Not a lowering spring )

that should give a drop of 40 mm close ?? on the rear , I just hope the front hasn't gone too low as well . The wheel arch gaps need to be the same centre of the wheel to top of the arch front and rear needs to be 410 to 420mm ideally

from the measurements you gave a T 30 standard spring should get us where we need to be , ( Not a lowering spring )

that should give a drop of 40 mm close ?? on the rear , I just hope the front hasn't gone too low as well . The wheel arch gaps need to be the same centre of the wheel to top of the arch front and rear needs to be 410 to 420mm ideally
Thanks. The front measures 410 from top arch to centre of wheel. So hopefully, that should be okay?

My van still has original shocks and after all this strain will most likely need doing soon.

I will definitely be giving you a call!

The Koni special active sound like they'd be perfect.
front spring2.jpg

Morning all,

Apologies for resurrecting an old thread, but this is exactly the situation I am in, so I'm keen to know how this worked out.
I'm on -30 Eibach springs (677 as above) but I don't have a full conversions, just a Skyline roof and caravelle rails & seats, in a 2011 T26 . Also as above my van is coil bound at the rear.
(Should this really be enough to coilbind a sportline spring?? even as a T26 I should have ~700Kgs of payload headroom?)
Front is around 415 - 420 which I believe still suggests it has dropped further than the intended 30mm. Before I go an haemorrhage cash on expensive coilovers I was just wondering how the stock springs on the rear and eibachs on the front worked out for you? As this is something I could do quite easily and with little financial discomfort.

Morning all,

Apologies for resurrecting an old thread, but this is exactly the situation I am in, so I'm keen to know how this worked out.
I'm on -30 Eibach springs (677 as above) but I don't have a full conversions, just a Skyline roof and caravelle rails & seats, in a 2011 T26 . Also as above my van is coil bound at the rear.
(Should this really be enough to coilbind a sportline spring?? even as a T26 I should have ~700Kgs of payload headroom?)
Front is around 415 - 420 which I believe still suggests it has dropped further than the intended 30mm. Before I go an haemorrhage cash on expensive coilovers I was just wondering how the stock springs on the rear and eibachs on the front worked out for you? As this is something I could do quite easily and with little financial discomfort.

Morning!

Just saw your message and funnily enough I’m redoing my suspension at the moment.

What happened with my setup last year (pictures) is exactly what @CRS Performance said was the case. I took the van back to VW who put those springs on (by then they looked even more compressed). Service department were horrified when I showed them how compressed the springs were. They did what Steve at CRS recommended and put standard springs on, but with lower rating - this meant the van settled to a good 30-40mm drop once completed. This matched up perfectly with the front which remained on the Eibach lowering springs.

My van is a 4motion T30 with camper gear in - they put standard springs on the rear with 1 yellow stripe. This is what gave me a lowered height.

I’m currently actually raising the van now - to standard and putting some Koni Special Actives on there for a bit of comfort . All change!

Interesting - thank you.
Time time check out the colour coding on the stock rear springs I have !!
I found a list of all the spring colour codes and the details. There is some info on the forum but it’s quite complex. 1 yellow, 2 yellow, 1 orange and 2 green etc.
I’ll post a link to the codes when I get home later!

spring colour codes and the details
I found a list of all the spring colour codes and the details. There is some info on the forum but it’s quite complex. 1 yellow, 2 yellow, 1 orange and 2 green etc.
I’ll post a link to the codes when I get home later!
Hi, have you got the link for the colour coding of the springs please? cheers

Thanks. The front measures 410 from top arch to centre of wheel. So hopefully, that should be okay?

My van still has original shocks and after all this strain will most likely need doing soon.

I will definitely be giving you a call!

The Koni special active sound like they'd be perfect.
View attachment 122490
I got Koni Activs from CRS, made a big diff over the std shocks, he sent some spacers for rear springs as well to give the right height

Back