Sportline Side Bar Protection

MrT

T6 Guru
hi i have some of the Sportline Led side bars on order from @Pauly and should be getting them for the end of the work.
My question is what would be the best product to protect these as I want to give them a fighting chance seeing as where they are on the van . A wax , ceramic coating , if so what are people recommendations @Tourershine hopefully you could point me in the right direction

Thanks in advanced

hi i have some of the Sportline Led side bars on order from @Pauly and should be getting them for the end of the work.
My question is what would be the best product to protect these as I want to give them a fighting chance seeing as where they are on the van . A wax , ceramic coating , if so what are people recommendations @Tourershine hopefully you could point me in the right direction

Thanks in advanced

Front mud flaps are the best protection for side bars, but if you're taking about the actual bar itself, is it painted or the chrome style finish?

Front mud flaps are the best protection for side bars, but if you're taking about the actual bar itself, is it painted or the chrome style finish?
The chrome style that’s why I’m really thinking about some serious protection. Will have a think about the mud flaps even tho I’m not a huge fan of them looks wise.

The chrome style that’s why I’m really thinking about some serious protection. Will have a think about the mud flaps even tho I’m not a huge fan of them looks wise.

I'm not aware of the chrome bars having a big issue because mine are Black, but if I did have the chrome ones, I'd just apply a wax polish every couple of weeks.
The front mud flaps are not intrusive if you get genuine ones. They stop the crud hitting my bars about 75%, which is enough to hold off any issues, and mine are still as new 15 months later.

I must be doing something right, because others with the same bars as me are reporting them going rusty and the paint flaking.

Last edited:
Reactions: MrT
I'm not aware of the chrome bars having a big issue because mine are Black, but if I did have the chrome ones, I'd just apply a wax polish every couple of weeks.
The front mud flaps are not intrusive if you get genuine ones. They stop the crud hitting my bars about 75%, which is enough to hold off any issues, and mine are still as new 15 months later.

I must be doing something right, because others with the same bars as me are reporting them going rusty and the paint flaking.
Cheers mate I’ll have a look into some genuine mud flaps then. Cheers again mate :thumbsup:

They aren’t chrome they are polished stainless steel.

They aren’t chrome they are polished stainless steel.
Cheers mate so if that’s the case do you reckon some good alloy wheel sealant would work well then ? I have some poor boys wheel sealant so thinking I could use that now ?

Some small front mud flaps are your best bet, they should prevent and small stones being thrown up and pitting the steel. Alloy wheel sealant is just to make cleaning brake dust from them easier, it’s not gonna do anything on the side bars

There used to be some on ebay but the seller says there out of stock and doesnt look like they are getting anymore. Anyone know of any others?. The small type not oem.

Some small front mud flaps are your best bet, they should prevent and small stones being thrown up and pitting the steel. Alloy wheel sealant is just to make cleaning brake dust from them easier, it’s not gonna do anything on the side bars
That makes sense about the wheel sealant I’ll def gonna get some front mud flaps. Cheers mate :thumbsup:

There used to be some on ebay but the seller says there out of stock and doesnt look like they are getting anymore. Anyone know of any others?. The small type not oem.
Can you just buy the front ? Be great because I’m not a huge fan of the back ones

If you have a tailgate van then buy Caravelle mudflaps, I bought some as they sit behind the real wheel like all other 'conventional' mudflaps do, NOT like the daft VW half way along the bumper style.

If you have a tailgate van then buy Caravelle mudflaps, I bought some as they sit behind the real wheel like all other 'conventional' mudflaps do, NOT like the daft VW half way along the bumper style.

As in genuine ones?
Have you got a picture of how they sit on the rear?

eBay about 7 months ago when I got the van. I've tried looking for a link to them but have a search for Caravelle mudflaps. I love them, to me they're really subtle, the VW 'flappy' ones are in an absolutly shocking position and have an awful method to attach them :(

I don't have a link to them but the eBay seller was VF AUTOZONE if that helps.

Last edited:
Out of stock and has been for a while from that ebay seller...anyone had any luck with anyone else on ebay?.

Back