Splitter fitting: Better with bumper off or on?

Howzat

T6 Guru
So my bumper is off this weekend due to upgrading the lights and I have a splitter to fit so just wondering if anyone has any thoughts or advice as to whether it's better to fit this with the bumper on or if it's easier with the bumper off?

Anyone done it with the bumper off?

So my bumper is off this weekend due to upgrading the lights and I have a splitter to fit so just wondering if anyone has any thoughts or advice as to whether it's better to fit this with the bumper on or if it's easier with the bumper off?

Anyone done it with the bumper off?
Depends on the splitter.

Sportline splitter? Bumper on, one person job.

e8ee3eac-1e10-4cd6-a55e-63f64f6d4369-jpeg.112840

My concern is lining it up correctly with the bumper is on while working off the floor upside down. It's a drill on bolt on jobbie so I'm thinking it might be easier with the bumper off?

My concern with “bumper off” is whether there might be a bit of “spread” in the bumper while it was off. Then, when it goes back on, it might cause a bit of tension/twist with the splitter bolted on. I’d be inclined to wait until bumper is back on! (Caveat: I’ve never fitted one so I am just surmising!)

Last edited:
On..

Use spring clips to clamp the splitter on... And lined up.

Then it's easy to drill in the correct place.

See here.

Reactions: JOG
My concern with “bumper off” is whether there might be a bit of “spread” in the bumper while it was off. Then, when it goes back on, it might cause a bit of tension/twist with the splitter bolted on. I’d be inclined to wait until bumper is back on! (Caveat: I’ve never fitted one so I am just surmising!)
I'd agree with you pal...

Reactions: JOG
Right then. On it is. Glad I asked now as I hadn't considered the flex when it's off but that does make sense. Good call.

I did both of mine when the bumper was on
You should be able to clamp it before you fix it and have a look if your happy

I recognise the drive….. although there’s currently some drops of oil on it courtesy of my van

e8ee3eac-1e10-4cd6-a55e-63f64f6d4369-jpeg.112840

My concern is lining it up correctly with the bumper is on while working off the floor upside down. It's a drill on bolt on jobbie so I'm thinking it might be easier with the bumper off?
What splitter is this mate?

As with JOG I’ve never done it but the bumpers form goes to blancmange once it’s off the van.

Huh? No. :laugh:
That's different to the one I got from you. Mine has 5 sticky up bits. The van style one has 4 and has little wings at the edge.
TBH I think the one I got from you is for a sportline bumper and that one from van style is for a non sportline bumper but I've fitted the one I got from you to a non sportline bumper and it's OK but the van style one would probably work better.

Back