Split charge relay mounting under drivers seat query

nik martin

I'm just about to install the cabling for the split charge relay from the main battery to the the underside of my drivers seat. I have ordered a proper battery tray for my leisure battery. (the battery is one that will fit height wise ok under the seat). But, the slight confusion I am having is this. I can't seem to find the best way to mount the split relay unit under the seat. I'm guessing you don't just leave it dangling lol. Is there a proper adapter to bolt along side the battery? Or will I have to build something out of ply and a just bolt it onto the some angle brackets under the seat. It's obviously not a major issue, I can make something. But was just wondering how most people would do it.

I just made something up as you describe.

Just checking - yours is a T5 / T5.1 ?

Pete

If its a blue motion you must use a dcdc charger, even if it isn't blue motion I'd still recommend a dcdc charger over a split charge relay anyway.

I don't think its a blue motion. I'm using the split charge relay as most of the conversion videos on YouTube suggest using one. What difference is the split relay to a dcdc charger? Does it do the same thing?

The DC-DC charging is (almost certainly) required for engines with blue motion, as the engine will auto start/stop when not moving. This means a big variation in charge, which older split charge can't cope with. It'll have a Blue motion badge on the rear. Or it won't, in which case you are good to go. The DC-DC chargers do allow plug in of solar panels though.

No, there isn't a blue motion badge on the back. But its interesting that you say that the dcdc charger will allow plug in solar panels. I was possibly thinking about adding a solar panel.

A CTEK D250 will charge the battery efficiently and solar will be 'plug n play'. Got mine from Travel volts. Fairly easy to fit, with the hardest bit being cable routing, which is the same for split relay. I just used a 12mm ply panel under the seat, sloping back towards the battery, onto which charger and fuse junctions can be screwed. Can access it by sliding the seat forward/back. I've positioned the main fuse for all the 12v, so that it can be easily removed when camper not in use. there's a decent earth stud under there too for negative bus bar or whatever.

Thanks I'll have a little think about that. Might just go with the split relay first. And then if I decide to add the solar, will look at the CTEK D250. Do you have a picture of how you have mounted the board under the seat with the bits on? I think I know what you mean, but a visual is always a good idea. Thanks

It's function over 'show posh'..... Rear of the van is to the left of the pic. The solar input is the spare contact, top right.

IMG_20200711_182449.jpg

Thanks for that. Its basically how I thought I would need to do it. I'm surprised that there doesn't seem to be anything on the market that is already pre-built to screw into place. There are obviously dedicated battery trays etc. But, it seems that we all have to build something out of ply and carpet lol. All my memories of Blue Peter as a kid are coming back to me haha. Appreciate the picture. Thanks.

Back