Split-Chargers & Bluemotion

As I said , I can only go on what I actually works for me in real life situation...and it works the way I described it.
If the 2nd battery wasn't being fully charged it would not be at 12.8v.... while the main battery shows 12.5v...... And the top 12v socket IS seperate from the main battery, while the cigarette lighter is connected to the main battery.

"If the 2nd battery wasn't being fully charged it would not be at 12.8v.... while the main battery shows 12.5v...... And the top 12v socket IS seperate from the main battery, while the cigarette lighter is connected to the main battery.

Have you tried swapping your two volt meters over? In my experience the cheap plugin ones can easily have 0.3V variation.

Last edited by a moderator:
I have 2 plug in voltmeters....both exactly the same readout....I now only use one to check the batteries..
When camping ..just plug into top dash for 2nd battery..although if I am outside van , I will check the waeco 12v socket (wired directly to 2nd battery) at the back of passenger seat near side door (which reads the same as the top dash)
As far as both being charged at the same rate..I agree ..they are, because I can see the charge rate as I drive. Interestingly, the alternator charge rate is between 14.4v and 14.9v , 75% of the time , reverting back to 13.4v when it starts it's "SMART" sequence.
It changes between the two sequences .
This has been the same pattern for a year now, whether the fridge is plugged in or not.

Reactions: mmi
Right had a small electrical fire whilst driving home from a weekend away. The split charge system was fitted before and it’s not adequate what do people recommend? Is there anyone able to Take a look and fit it at all? We’re in Nottingham, we’re looking to go away again in a couple of weeks
#helphelphelp

Right had a small electrical fire whilst driving home from a weekend away. The split charge system was fitted before and it’s not adequate what do people recommend? Is there anyone able to Take a look and fit it at all? We’re in Nottingham, we’re looking to go away again in a couple of weeks
#helphelphelp
I'm not surprised. If you can get the van over to Kidderminster I'll sort it out for you.

Yes, I remember that photo in a previous thread you started (which is perhaps what Travelvolts is referring to). It's a VSR, which is not optimal for our vans. That doesn't mean it should catch fire though !

Suggest you get Travelvolts to sort you out, unless there is a vehicle electrician with experience of campervan electrics nearer you.

Pete

I've read this entire thread and am sad to say, Im none the wiser. I have a T6 2016 stop/start (although never actually seems to do so, another story for another day). Am i right in thinking i cannot fit a simple split relay kit to this battery, as it will then prevent the leisure battery from charging properly?

What kit do I need to work round this issue? as the answer seemed to change half way through the thread as time moved on.

@travelvolts you seem to be Gandalf in these things, any help or advice on component parts mate?

Thanks in advance

I've read this entire thread and am sad to say, Im none the wiser. I have a T6 2016 stop/start (although never actually seems to do so, another story for another day). Am i right in thinking i cannot fit a simple split relay kit to this battery, as it will then prevent the leisure battery from charging properly?
Correct
What kit do I need to work round this issue? as the answer seemed to change half way through the thread as time moved on.

A DC-DC charger kit from travelvolts. :)

@travelvolts I've now fitted the relay and the rear wiring is ready for batteries etc. I have a cargo split relay in, an auto sparks has told me that it is reading 14v plus in the rear so i dont need a dc}dc but im guessing he is wrong?

im looking at running -

6 spot LED
charging phones
from time to time a small 12v fridge and kettle

im not, at the moment, putting in any 240v or solar

SO im guessing the sparky is wrong and i need a Dc}Dc ? What size ampage will i need 30, 50 or 60 (thinking cost)?
what wiring do i need to buy, to run to the units and lighting etc to and from the leisure, dc and control switches?

any other tips?

thanks in advance , mate

edit - also, what to look for in a leisure battery

Last edited:
Yes, he's deffinately wrong! The size of the DC-DC charger largely depends on what size battery you fit. Where are you going to put the battery? as this may limit the size.

Yes, he's deffinately wrong! The size of the DC-DC charger largely depends on what size battery you fit. Where are you going to put the battery? as this may limit the size.

ideally, id like it at the rear, in one of the cupboards. im going for a 3/4 rock and roll, with the standard cupboard set up to your right as you are looking in to the barn doors, if that make sense

Back