Split-Chargers & Bluemotion

superflyguy

VIP Member
T6 Legend
Sorry if I've missed this in previous threads, been told due too my van being bluemotion, I can't just buy a normal split charge kit, it will cost about £600 due too the way the van charges the system ?

Mine works fine.... Can get you the part number if you want it.

Mine works fine.... Can get you the part number if you want it.
That would be great, it's a conversion company I was going to use, apparently it doesn't charge up the leisure battery due to the way bluemotion charges the main battery. Alright during test once fitted but used over a long period of time doesn't charge properly ? Sorry I'm baffled , it requires a part fitting to solve the problem at £600 ?
If somebody is aware of a problem and can help I'm sure they would be happy too pass it on and my wallet would breath a sigh of relief !!

There is something in this..... first couple of T6s my conversion guy did he used same split charge as the T5 but then had to change I think due to T6s now having stop start. The new kit was a lot more expensive but he covered the cost for me as I'd already pre ordered but he does now have to charge more for all conversions going forward.

I could maybe try to find some details if people need

There is something in this..... first couple of T6s my conversion guy did he used same split charge as the T5 but then had to change I think due to T6s now having stop start. The new kit was a lot more expensive but he covered the cost for me as I'd already pre ordered but he does now have to charge more for all conversions going forward.

I could maybe try to find some details if people need
This is exactly what they said @Walski , I think it appears to be just the bluemotion model that has the issues ?

Just spent the day looking into the same thing myself. I may be wrong but it seems to be a more general problem with euro5 and 6 engines that have a smart alternator fitted. This is controlled by the ecu and the voltage produced swings high and low depending on driving conditions. Too low and normal split charge relays won't work; too high and you might damage the leisure battery or connected equipment. The stop-start of blue motion may cause other problems but i'm not sure exactly what at the moment. The answer seems to be with fitting the ctek dual 250s but I'm still investigating. You should be able to pick one up for under 200 quid.

Just spent the day looking into the same thing myself. I may be wrong but it seems to be a more general problem with euro5 and 6 engines that have a smart alternator fitted. This is controlled by the ecu and the voltage produced swings high and low depending on driving conditions. Too low and normal split charge relays won't work; too high and you might damage the leisure battery or connected equipment. The stop-start of blue motion may cause other problems but i'm not sure exactly what at the moment. The answer seems to be with fitting the ctek dual 250s but I'm still investigating. You should be able to pick one up for under 200 quid.
I just thought it was going to be straight forward @MartyMoose , I have no electrical background but just want to know what's needed to overcome the issues, I'm running a euro 5 , 140bhp bluemotion .

I have a 140bhp bluemotion, it had a camper conversion by @ecowagon, it might be worth asking them about the installation they did (I am ignorant of the technical details)

Bluemotion Batterys run at 80% this is to allow the reguration from the brakes to top up the battery for the start/stop, a normally split charger has a VSR voltage sensoring relay that once the van battery is fully charged it clicks over and charges the leisure battery, obviously with a bluemotion van its battery as I have already said only runs at 80% so the VSR will never sensor the van battery full and not click over to the leisure batt,

What you need it a battery to battery system, like @Loz said the ctex one will work,

Xtremevan.co.uk do some great split charging systems for around £200 and I have spoken to them regarding the bluemotion issue and you can adapt theres to batt/batt give them a call? as soon as I have some spare pennys ill be buying one

VSR's actually see the voltage rise so will be oblivious to what the ECU is telling the alternator to do. The resulting effect is unless your leisure battery is also an AGM it won't absorb the rapid charge from the regen.

Bluemotion Batterys run at 80% this is to allow the reguration from the brakes to top up the battery for the start/stop, a normally split charger has a VSR voltage sensoring relay that once the van battery is fully charged it clicks over and charges the leisure battery, obviously with a bluemotion van its battery as I have already said only runs at 80% so the VSR will never sensor the van battery full and not click over to the leisure batt,

What you need it a battery to battery system, like @Loz said the ctex one will work,

Xtremevan.co.uk do some great split charging systems for around £200 and I have spoken to them regarding the bluemotion issue and you can adapt theres to batt/batt give them a call? as soon as I have some spare pennys ill be buying one
Thanks I will check out the web site and call them.

We were told this when we started doing T6s last year but have since learnt that the Vsr will work fine with the blue motion engines .

We were told this when we started doing T6s last year but have since learnt that the Vsr will work fine with the blue motion engines .
It appears there isn't a concrete answer yet, I'm not competent with electrics so cant give any feedback. I'm not having a full camper interior, but at some point want a heater and electrics in the back for the odd night sleeping in the van.

Is there a specific VSR that @ecowagon use or is it part of a system? I see from their website that they use Sargent equipment. I'm looking to put electrics into a T6 myself so any guidance would be appreciated .

I'm picking up some stuff from Ed at Celtics on Weds so I'll have a word with him and ask what he's now fitting to his conversions and why it needed the upgrade.

Back