speed sign recognition and lane assist problem on lowered van

Woodman

I like playing with my wood!
VIP Member
T6 Guru
Hi My van has the above, I lowered the van on B14s after only a week of ownership in April 21. This April (22) the camera seems to have stopped working and speed signs / lane assist faults up. ACC was faulty at the same time buy vw seem to think they have resolved that one. They are saying they cannot calibrate the camera on my lowered van. Anyone had any simillar issues ? The only thing I believe may have happened is the BCM has lost some of the programming when the battery was disconnected for a couple of weeks at the converters??? Any help greatly appreciated. cheers

Hi My van has the above, I lowered the van on B14s after only a week of ownership in April 21. This April (22) the camera seems to have stopped working and speed signs / lane assist faults up. ACC was faulty at the same time buy vw seem to think they have resolved that one. They are saying they cannot calibrate the camera on my lowered van. Anyone had any simillar issues ? The only thing I believe may have happened is the BCM has lost some of the programming when the battery was disconnected for a couple of weeks at the converters??? Any help greatly appreciated. cheers

My T6 is less than a couple of inches off the ground and I've never had my ACC calibrated, nor has it ever stopped working. I'd be surprised if that was the cause when you are on B14's.

20220416_181405.jpg

Thank You, exactly what I thought. However its the speed sign and lane assist the dealers say are affected by ride height which I think is a cop out! Lovely van BTW :)

Thank You, exactly what I thought. However its the speed sign and lane assist the dealers say are affected by ride height which I think is a cop out! Lovely van BTW :)
My Black Edition is sold with adjustable coil overs so it’s hardly going to effect the Lane assist. I didn’t opt for speed sign but my Lane assist works fine when I use it.

My Lane assist stopped working after the battery was out for some conversion and also lowered on the coil overs . Hasn’t been right since and VW say that the battery being removed at converters would have cleared any fault codes and they can’t help with that one.

My Black Edition is sold with adjustable coil overs so it’s hardly going to effect the Lane assist. I didn’t opt for speed sign but my Lane assist works fine when I use it.
I’m wondering if the load weight in the rear after lowering affects the proficiency of the front camera on the Lane assist system? ….I generally carry upwards of 600kg and it was after conversion and added weight that the Lane assist stopped picking up lanes (without faults showing on the dash).

@Woodman ADAS system camera is very sensitive to ride height & attitude changes due to rear loads etc which is the sensor that is used for this. Also many main VW CV dealers don't seem to know how to reset & recalibrate the Bosch windscreen camera effectively when their ODIS SW tells the tech it's out of position or needs resetting/re-calibrating.

Mine (lowered by VW app converter & dealer calibrated) wouldn't recalibrate after a windcreen replacement.
Autoglass & 2x JCT600 VW CV dealers couldn't fathom it after 9 visits & over 12 months.

Marshall's VW CV Bridgwater finally sussed that to 'reset' the system (having been re-calibrated for a lowered van already) they have to re-input the Std ride height settings 1st to get the system to fully reset to then accept being re-calibrated again.....hopefully I get my van back tomorrow after it being 300miles away for 6 weeks whilst they worked this out:rolleyes:

HTH you get sorted anyway, if it isn't already;)

Last edited:
I’m wondering if the load weight in the rear after lowering affects the proficiency of the front camera on the Lane assist system? ….I generally carry upwards of 600kg and it was after conversion and added weight that the Lane assist stopped picking up lanes (without faults showing on the dash).
I adjusted the suspension after putting all my stuff in the back so it sits level. Got a fair bit of weight in the back also.

My post is specifically related to traffic/speed sign recognition & Bosch windscreen camera

@Woodman ADAS system camera is very sensitive to ride height & attitude changes due to rear loads etc which is the sensor that is used for this. Also many main VW CV dealers don't seem to know how to reset & recalibrate the Bosch windscreen camera effectively when their ODIS SW tells the tech it's out of position or needs resetting/re-calibrating.

Mine (lowered by VW app converter & dealer calibrated) wouldn't recalibrate after a windcreen replacement.
Autoglass & 2x JCT600 VW CV dealers couldn't fathom it after 9 visits & over 12 months.

Marshall's VW CV Bridgwater finally sussed that to 'reset' the system (having been re-calibrated for a lowered van already) they have to re-input the Std ride height settings 1st to get the system to fully reset to then accept being re-calibrated again.....hopefully I get my van back tomorrow after it being 300miles away for 6 weeks whilst they worked this out:rolleyes:

HTH you get sorted anyway, if it isn't already;)
Thanks for the info mate

Well my saga continues, the latest is we are awaiting a new loom which they are going to install just in order to eliminate a repair and the concern there may be other unseen damage on the loom. My camera had been re calibrated and worked for speed sign recognition, then on a subsequent visit to a VW dealership they managed to stop that working and seem to have deleted the van's vin from the code for the camera at the same time. Now VW are saying there is nothing they can do unless the van is 100% standard...

Well my saga continues, the latest is we are awaiting a new loom which they are going to install just in order to eliminate a repair and the concern there may be other unseen damage on the loom. My camera had been re calibrated and worked for speed sign recognition, then on a subsequent visit to a VW dealership they managed to stop that working and seem to have deleted the van's vin from the code for the camera at the same time. Now VW are saying there is nothing they can do unless the van is 100% standard...
I feel your pain @Woodman .
'They' all (Autoglass & VW CV York & Hull) kept giving me the same line of "there is nothing they can do unless the van is 100% standard..."

Basically it just means they don't want to do anything until they can charge you for their time as VW UK won't cover their costs.

gone in for loom starting today!
fingers crossed
trouble is I drove almost 600 miles in it yesterday when I went to pick up a bike, as I was towing had to keep speed down to ;)(70)but my bloody right ankle ached which obviously it would not have if I had my adaptive cruise working!!

There is possibly light at the end of the tunnel. 5 weeks ago my van went back to converters who fitted a new rear loom. It had the camera calibrated by an independant with ODIS and speed sign recognition restored. It then went back to VW with a diagnosis of a coms issue between instruments, camera and a Gateway. After being at local VW van centre the technician diagnosing the issue thought to disconnect the tow bar harness which was dealer fit..............
I wish someone had done that last May as it restored the adaptive cruise and assist functions straight away. The Local VW van centre is in the same group as the one I bought the van from, however the local one said that the supplier has to continue the repair at their cost.
So now hopefully after Christmas the supplier van centre will instruct my van converters to rectify the original tow bar installation. I am hopefull that after another 7 week absence I will get the van back fixed once and for all.
It's so frustrating that just a diferent technician on the job, who had a bit of experience, thought to disconnect the tow bar harness.
I will update again in the new year.
Most importantly it may re-invigorate my interest in the van which for the last 7 months has subsided to almost non existent!
Happy Christmas everyone Woodman

Last edited:
Update to try and close out this thread, after 9 1/2 months since my van was converted, it came home yesterday fron its last 8 week absence, complete with a replacement tow bar wiring harness and control module and all is well.....I rather miss my amber warning exclamation on the dash (not) it had become a permanent feature in my life. Hopefully my interest in the van will now re kindle and I will plan some long awaited trips in it. I know I am heading to Nottingham early Feb to help my daughter move, but thats not the sort of trip I mean! Hopefully get to some meets this year cheers Woodman.
PS once the weather warms up the B14s and gloss grill will get re fitted so it looks less like a swamper!

Back