Wider Spare-Wheel Carrier

Gas Phipps

Hi, I’ve had my spare wheel stolen, again,bought some 17’’ steels one with a tatty 235 tyre -
good enough as a spare for now.
Problem is it just won’t fit in the cradle , does anyone know if there’s a specific size tyre I should be using or am I doing something stupid?
Gaz

Thanks , I’ll have another go, I have got myself a locking nut this time - should have got one when the last one went.

Is the cradle on the lowest setting?
With the cradle empty, crawl underneath and look at where it hinges, there are 2 settings.

Is the cradle on the lowest setting?
With the cradle empty, crawl underneath and look at where it hinges, there are 2 settings.
Thanks, I did notice that- I haven’t tried stuffing it in yet but if that fails I’ll try dropping the cradle down.

From memory, the spare wheel carrier has two settings available, with the factory 16” being on the smallest of the two.

I couldn’t say what the bigger setting would offer you.

@BognorMotors may be able to supply a modified carrier.

I can fit a 225/60 R17 BFG Ko2 in my spare tire well, and it’s 35mm larger than the stock 215/60 R17 cargo vectors my van came with.

It’s just fits

Any engineering company can add in a 20mm section at the back and front to give you extra depth. I had this done to accommodate a 235/55/18 General Grabber AT3. Now fits perfectly.
Prior to the additional depth the carrier wouldn't reach the bolt by approximately 10mm and even if it reached you'd struggle to get full turn on the bolt.
Hope this helps.

Having almost gone out of my brains trying to find an awful squeak rattle type noise from hell in the back of my t6, ripping off panels, almost removing the floor, I've finally found my spare wheel was loose !

I’ve packed it with some rubber material and done it up tight as I can, but there still seems to be some movement coming from the far end of the bracket that I can’t quite reach .... is this a common issue ? It’s rubbish as it ruins all the work I’ve done inside the van eliminating rattles ..jeez

What size spare are you carying?

I've an 18" 245 under there and it's very tight.

It’s the same size as my Devonports that the van came with if that’s any help ... I’m guessing it’s the original that came with the van as it’s spotless ... I’m thinking the hinge part further back under the van where I can’t see it has come loose as despite packing the wheel with some rubber which now is not moving the metal hinge section is still rattling under the van and it’s still driving me absolutely nuts ... so first thing tomorrow I’m getting under it to sort it out .. it’s been going on for ages and all this time I’ve been blaming my work on the floor and panels or thinking it’s stuff in the back rattling ! At least I now know what’s going on...
other people don’t seem to understand how frustrating these issues are ... people say oh it’s just a van they always rattle !!! I’m thinking for f###s sake it’s not just a ‘van’ it’s a van I’ve invested 100’s of hours of my time on and it’s potentially a lovely quiet and smooth vehicle to drive

Mine too....squeak squeak squeak....took out spare wheel cut some soundproofing leftovers to stop metal to metal contact and put some tape around the wire.......must be the cheapest bodge VW ever did....(photo from another thread )
CD04D2FA-B398-483B-BE79-69C1C5A914C6.jpeg

That part is pathetic like you say a cheap bodge ! How the hell do they get away with something like it

That part is pathetic like you say a cheap bodge ! How the hell do they get away with something like it
But once you’ve done it....... no more squeak’s.....when you tighten up the carrier you may hear it clamp the tyre, so just in case the wheel moves I covered the wheel temporarily in plastic (until I can get a custom bag/ cover)
Oh one last tip..get a locking clamp bolt ( stops ur spare getting nicked):thumbsup::thumbsup:

Hi I need some help I have just sold my 17 inch alloys including the spare alloy.
masses 20 inch alloys to the van
I have got hold of a 16 inch spare steel wheel
But once it’s fitted underneath it’s really loose
Is there any way of adjusting the wheel holder to make it fit snug?
Thanks in advance
Nathan.

Aren’t there two notches that the carrier can sit in? The back hinged part, I believe?

Yeah I did see them but not sure that would be enough to tighten it up it seems very loose at the bolt area ??

Back