Spare Wheel - do I need to change it from 16” if I’ve gone bigger?

Matt W

Afternoon all,

Quick question. I am planning to put some 18" alloys on my van with 235/50 R18 tyres fitted.

Will it still be ok to use the original supplied spare wheel with alloys of this size in the event of a puncture?

Thanks

This might be a really stupid question but here goes! My Kombi came with 16" Claytons but I bought some 17" Devonports from the dealer. Now, what happens if I've got my 17" on and I get a puncture.....so I've got 3 17" wheels on and a 16" spare. I'm assuming there will be a slight difference in diameter (despite the 16" having a higher profile) but is it enough to cause any damage? I'm guessing it'll be so negligible that it wont do damage but just wondered what the tyre/wheel guru's would think?
Cheers guys!
MD:thumbsup:

It won't matter. I have had cars with Space savers and they have been a lot different. Just get the puncture fixed and don't do a lot of miles on the spare.

This might be a really stupid question but here goes! My Kombi came with 16" Claytons but I bought some 17" Devonports from the dealer. Now, what happens if I've got my 17" on and I get a puncture.....so I've got 3 17" wheels on and a 16" spare. I'm assuming there will be a slight difference in diameter (despite the 16" having a higher profile) but is it enough to cause any damage? I'm guessing it'll be so negligible that it wont do damage but just wondered what the tyre/wheel guru's would think?
Cheers guys!
MD:thumbsup:
Is it a 4Motion? If the wheel is a different size it’s not good for the Haldex system

Is it a 4Motion? If the wheel is a different size it’s not good for the Haldex system

This is a Valid issue, but for 2WD i can't seeing it being an issue until you can get somewhere to get the tire fixed.

Hi all,
Had a puncture today on my 18”, came to remove and install the 17” steel I bought aftermarket as I feel having a spare wheel is better than the foam stuff. Unfortunately the 17” did not fit over the brake discs and callipers
Now going to sell the brand new 17” and purchase an 18” version!

Hi all,
Had a puncture today on my 18”, came to remove and install the 17” steel I bought aftermarket as I feel having a spare wheel is better than the foam stuff. Unfortunately the 17” did not fit over the brake discs and callipers
What about swapping a front to rear?

Hi all,
I’ve got a oem 17” steelie you can have f you want it mate, I take it you have the oem big callipers and not aftermarket.

Hi both
As the edition came with the glue gun I went a bought a genuine Vw steel wheel. This is 17” and has been fittted to the rear and the rear then replaced the punctured front.
jest ion for which I see there has been many a night hour lost over.....
What to replace a 2no front tyres with?
Either
Michelin cross climate
Bridgestone weathercontrol a005 or
NEXEN su1
I have some sunny (cheap and very loud!) tyres, installed by Swiss vans when swapping the standard alloys. They have handled ok, lasted 11k on the front whilst the rears are still looking like new! (Possibly because I like corners at pace!)
Any suggestions as wanting to have good performance, best possible longevity and not a noisy as the Sunny’s!
thanks all.

My van came with 20" Calibre wheels with 275.40.20 tyres which are fine. I enquired about buying another one because the spare is still an old 16" steel wheel but the cost was nearly £400 !!, A complete set new was ony £800.

Would a 19" steel space saver from a Range Rover be a good option?

Stick with the existing 16”. There’s not much difference in the rolling circumference to concern yourself with.
If it doesn’t get nicked by some dross, then it’ll hopefully just live under your van as a back up.

Back