Spare tire or glue sh***t?

SofaKing

T6 Guru
My car was ordered with 18'' tires, in the vw catalogue it's stated to have a spare tire bolted under the rear of the van. Well no tire there, just a box with some glue-stuff to be used in case of flat tire.

I called the dealer and asked why i did not get a real spare tire. He told me that if you order with 18'' they will not add this spare tire... I'm now wondering where VW has stated this. I can not find any information about this and really wanted a spare tire....

Anyone knows about this?

I think the reason is that an 18" is too wide for the spare wheel carrier.

You can of course fit a 16" spare wheel assuming you still have the wheel carrier underneath? Just make sure it's the same overall circumference!

The 18s should be the same circumference anyway so can't see why they couldn't have put a spare there. Might be worth just picking up a standard steel wheel and tyre for a spare

First of all I'll Ask vw when and How i was informed about 18'' excluding spare wheel.. if they cant, ill claim one fitted

I only need a steel 16". Just a reserve wheel. Worst case scenario is -30 degrees, flat tire and then use glue stuff.. forget it..

Wheels and tyres are normally dealer fit options, if this is the case then your dealer removed your spare when removing your factory fitted wheels - tell him hes a cheeky b*****d and demand he puts it back on

When I ordered my Cali it came with 16" wheels and I had ordered 18" sportline, they asked what I wanted to do with the old wheels, I said put them in the van when I pick it up. The put the wheel sin but they were not the ones which were on the van and they were 17", only found out when I got home so could not be bothered hagling over them. I also have a 16" spare slung under the back taht is good enough for a get me home wheel.

I only need a steel 16". Just a reserve wheel. Worst case scenario is -30 degrees, flat tire and then use glue stuff.. forget it..
For those scenarios I use tyre strings and not gunk..
In most cases you can repair a puncture without removing the wheel, you just need to have a small compressor on board.

I had the squirt cans with the last two Tourans I had. Got myself a space saver and carried that on long trips. Much prefer a proper tyre as a spare.

I had the squirt cans with the last two Tourans I had. Got myself a space saver and carried that on long trips. Much prefer a proper tyre as a spare.
Me too; the BM is the third car we've had with gunk and a compressor; I find it a little unsettling.
The van and Subaru both have a full sized spare.
As Loz says it's the 18" wheel tyre width not circumference that means it won't fit in the carrier.

My car was ordered with 18'' tires, in the vw catalogue it's stated to have a spare tire bolted under the rear of the van. Well no tire there, just a box with some glue-stuff to be used in case of flat tire.

I called the dealer and asked why i did not get a real spare tire. He told me that if you order with 18'' they will not add this spare tire... I'm now wondering where VW has stated this. I can not find any information about this and really wanted a spare tire....

Anyone knows about this?
Looks to me like your dealer fancied themselves to your spare, I ordered 18's with mine dealer option and it came with the spare and factory wheels.
Get back on to them mate and give them hell.

Last edited:
It depends if you've bought the wheels as a dealer fit or a factory fit option. Most people will buy as dealer fit as it's cheaper, but some wheels are hard to get as dealer fit. Like Springfields or Tolucas

Mine has a water tank where the spare would be so I have to have the compressor and gunk. Must admit it makes me a bit nervous, the only 2 times I've had a failed tyre were both moderate/high speed blowouts with no hope of any gunk repairing the shredded remains. I take mine into the wilds of Norway and Sweden so am going to have to make sure I get breakdown cover that would turn up with a new tyre!

Abt exhaust means I cannot have a spare wheel.
Also I cannot jack the van up due to the side skirts. I have to use the massive long jack and get right under the van and Jack the inner suspension arm up
I had a puncture anyway and the load rated tyres for me to a tyre place or home safely.
I use a foam can in my car too as I removed the spare to save weight.

Seen the tyre fitters use something like that, might have to get one myself

I was sceptica,l but after@Loz recommend them I tried and was able to repair my tyre without removing the wheel, I did jack it up but not sure if I needed to really.

Dealer is checking if they can deliver the tyre 'assembly fixture' because they dont believe my van has the threaded inserts and fear they need to do some welding to make the attachment for the tyre.. i highly doubt that, but will check underneath the car if (i can get out of my sofa...)

Back