Wheel-arch - Sound-Deadening internally or externally?

Shaun Witts

Ski Bus
VIP Member
T6 Guru
While fitting wheel spacers (25mm) this weekend, I took the opportunity to also remove the wheel arch liners and stick Silent Coat to the wheel arches for improved sound proofing.

After doing so, I then became concerned that I have perhaps introduced a moisture trap to the underside of my van, and hence will encourage corrosion & the dreaded tin worm.

Has anyone any experience of the possible outcome?

Thanks.

By the way – the reduction in road noise is noticeable.

I can't comment on the rust issue, although I'd think it would be unlikely to make things any worse.

I asked my converter about Silentcoating under the wheel arches and he told me it didn't make any difference at all and wasn't worth doing... And yet I still feel most of the road noise does indeed come up from under the wheel arches.

It's something I may still go ahead and do one day when I get a bit of time to myself.

I was considering doing the same, it’s obvious that the most of the noise is from the tyres as when the road surface changes on a motorway it makes the biggest difference to noise in the cab.
Insulating as close to source seems the obvious way to reduce the noise. My only concern like you mention is corrosion, if it were such a simple fix why don’t manufacturers do it at production?
It might be a safer solution to stick the silent coat to the liners instead of the arches???

I'm no expert but I'd only be worried if there was an air void between the layers. As Silent Coat sticks to the surface you're attaching it to, I can't wee why there would be a problem. That said, the alternative if anyone is worried about this is to Silent Coat the internal arches; most of us who have done soundproofing as part of our conversions have gone down this route, and the difference is definitely noticeable.

This is not a normal area to apply this material..... but it cant hurt except of the increased overal weight..... remember silent coat is very heavy when applied everywhere..... effecting handling,body role, fuel economy....as well as sound reduction.

Also remember the whole body is Galvanized and wont rust from surface water unless the body is drilled or galavenization is compromised allowing moisture/oxygen to start attacking the underlying steel.

The whole body is also submerged bath painted ontop of the galvanized coating........ so all being we it should not rust.

This has been an issue in the past with rubberized undercoat sealant on standard un galvanized motors . . . . The TVR springs to mind.....

If anything it'll probably help out... The body is galvanised and painted so unless you start removing the coatings the steel should last many many years... Main reason I won't drill a hole in my van to fit stuff, once it's drilled, game over (eventually long term...)

Replied at the same time Lee :cool:

Screen shot from T6 spec book.... re galvanized body.

Screenshot_20190805-170623_Word.jpg

While fitting wheel spacers (25mm) this weekend, I took the opportunity to also remove the wheel arch liners and stick Silent Coat to the wheel arches for improved sound proofing.

After doing so, I then became concerned that I have perhaps introduced a moisture trap to the underside of my van, and hence will encourage corrosion & the dreaded tin worm.

Has anyone any experience of the possible outcome?

Thanks.

By the way – the reduction in road noise is noticeable.

What thickness Silentcoat did you use? I’m thinking about fitting 4mm.

Anybody fitted silentcoat to front wheel arches, under the plastic liner? externally, and if so did it stick ok and more importantly was it worth it, did it reduce internal noise level from wheels
Thanks

No never done that, just had a look at my Golf and the rear wheel arches have a black mat on the arches which I assume is some form of sound deadening

seen it done with silentcoat externally on rear arches, after camper conversion.! not seen it done on the front though. could take cab rubber mat and do it from the inside but again I don,t know how much difference this would make to noise from tyres?

seen it done with silentcoat externally on rear arches, after camper conversion.! not seen it done on the front though. could take cab rubber mat and do it from the inside but again I don,t know how much difference this would make to noise from tyres?
People usually do the outside of the rear arches, but the inside of the fronts.

Silent coat will make very little difference. You need MLV and layer of foam.

I was advised not to use Silentcoat externally as the adhesive will eventually fail. I used Dynamat Extreme. It did make a difference but nowhere near as much as sound deadening the doors with Dynamat and acoustic foam.

Front doors silentcoated and acoustic foam fitted, did front wheel arches in the cabin, and under the bonnet too. Definitely seems quieter, Just the sqeeking rock and roll bed now, then I,ll be a happy bunny?

Anyone stuck the dodo matting on the rear wheel arches, externally, iv,e got some spare and wondered if it's worth spending a day doing it, or should I just watch Repair shop again!

Anyone stuck the dodo matting on the rear wheel arches, externally, iv,e got some spare and wondered if it's worth spending a day doing it, or should I just watch Repair shop again!
Hi..I’ve only seen guys cover the wheel arches with silent coat type soundproofing ( in/out) not with matting:thumbsup:

Back