Sound proofing the plastic doorcards

Murdoch

Electrician
VIP Member
T6 Guru
I’m in the process of adding sound proofing to my kombi (as VW obviously don’t think it’s necessary) and my next challenge is the front doors.

I’ve had a search or two but can’t see any obvious threads that would help me understand how to get the internal panels off the front doors.

Could anybody give me any pointers?

Thanks

2 screws behind the trim of the handle at the top. One in the middle of the panel. 2 90 degree catches right at the bottom.
Then pull from the bottom working up the sides 3 clips each side.
Then pull up to release the top being careful if the switch wires and door release cable.
This one s the inside of the panel.

E67E3BD8-4065-4F56-B53F-35411CE424AD.jpeg 153023B2-185C-4EC8-A177-FF90C3787CA7.jpeg

Drivers door switches panel - lift up from the front to release the clips then you can unplug the connectors

Apologies for asking a question that's been asked time and time again.
I'm in the process of upgrading the system bit by bit utilising a few bits of old stereo equipment, and once I'm bored of each item slowly upgrading towards one of Jason's signature packages. I currently have a 10" sub in a custom enclosure and amp, rear speakers and next will be front components.

Anyway!! When the baby has her afternoon nap I get an hour tinker time. Today I have soundproofed the inner door skins with dodo dead mat pro 45.
My question is should I use the same on the plastic door panel or get some foam to apply instead?

Any pros or cons against either would be appreciated.

Cheers
Chris

If you do them you'll never have to wonder if it was right or wrong.. its done..
I would you silentcoat or dynomatt

After watching the alpine transporter build I went down the dodo mat route. Certainly helps eliminate that cheap plastic sound.

IMG_20200413_150219.jpg

I'm also in the process of upgrading the speakers of my T6.1

Removing the plastic door card, I was kind of surprised to find the naked door is also plastic! I assumed it would be metal for some reason (I was hoping to deaden the door itself, too, to make it less tinny when closing).

I'm planning on sticking silent coat everywhere and anywhere...

How much space is there between the door card and the inner door skin? I’ve seen pictures where people cover both and just wondered whether there was any issues refitting the door card after.

(sorry I’m considering doing a bit of this when I get the door cards off but I haven’t really researched this at all yet so apologies if this is an obvious question that has been asked 100s of time before!)

How much space is there between the door card and the inner door skin? I’ve seen pictures where people cover both and just wondered whether there was any issues refitting the door card after.

(sorry I’m considering doing a bit of this when I get the door cards off but I haven’t really researched this at all yet so apologies if this is an obvious question that has been asked 100s of time before!)
Plenty of space. No issues with mine soundproofed on both faces.

So do you put silent coat on the inner door skin then the foam on the door card?

I used Dynamat Xtreme on the door skin through the speaker hole, Dynamat Xtreme on the inner door frame and foam on the door card.

I'm yet to do the outer door skin. That will happen when I upgrade the door speakers.
Dodo mat on the inner skin and door plastics. The deadening shop did say that a closed cell foam would work on the plastics well. I'll prob add this in next time I'm upgrading bits.

I’m in the process of adding sound proofing to my kombi (as VW obviously don’t think it’s necessary) and my next challenge is the front doors.

I’ve had a search or two but can’t see any obvious threads that would help me understand how to get the internal panels off the front doors.

Could anybody give me any pointers?

Thanks
there's a video in this thread showing how to remove the door cards

I have ordered some foam, so thx for that recommendation

I just need to receive a few more connectors and bits and pieces then hopefully I can do the wing mirror and inner door handle courtesy lights, the ambient door pocket light and the sound proofing in one go.

2 screws behind the trim of the handle at the top. One in the middle of the panel. 2 90 degree catches right at the bottom.
Then pull from the bottom working up the sides 3 clips each side.
Then pull up to release the top being careful if the switch wires and door release cable.
This one s the inside of the panel.

View attachment 45940 View attachment 45941
Hi there, see that you initially applied silent coat to the panel but what's the 2nd black covering ?

Back