Sound-deadening and Thermal Insulation of Cab

OllieGBR

VCDS user
VIP Member
T6 Guru
I've watched nearly all the video's and read many posts, does anyone actually sound proof and thermal insulate the cabin area under the seats? I've seen one picture of sound insulation, nothing else?
(I have the original matt that appears quite substantial)

Picture for dramatic effect

Screenshot 2019-11-21 at 15.32.36.png

I dynamatted the whole of the cab area but didn't put any insulation, you've got a thick carpet which is ample.

I was going to Dynamat the cab floor under the original rubber mat but thought the mat was so thick it wouldn't make any difference.
I guess you are saying it's worth pulling the mat out?

Defiantly worth it IMO !

My biggest worry was adding the extra thickness to the floor !
I used a good quality little roller for all edges and warmed it all gently with a heat gun on low. Pressed and stuck well where I thought the thickness may matter most.
Like under where the step inserts sit.
The thick floor is forgiving enough to cope with the rest.
Didn't insulate

Was not a quick job ! Spent 9hours doing it cutting and shaping it all. Wanted to make a good job of it as only planned to do it once !
Used a box and a half !

Total 6 boxes in the whole van !
Yeh Yeh Weight !!!!
Well I decided as distributed evenly it was balanced and worth it.

IMO only !

I've got the step inserts on my list to do.
I did both front wings at the same time as the front arches as easy to do.

Yes do as much as you can. And in the scuttle under the bonnet and fit the all important dust seals. It will make such a difference.

Hello, I've been busy with Silent Coat and Dodo mat around my Kombi. Just need to do the front doors and the cab floor. There are videos on door removal and I'm fairly sure I'll be able to do that- and replace the speakers. But what about the cab carpet? I realy do not want to remove either the seats or the handbrake- but I do want to insulate as much of the floor as possible- especially the wheel arches and the bulkhead to the engine. I have; 2mm silent coat, dodomat extreme and some silent coat sound killer (which I used on the bonnet). I was wondering about putting the soundkiller on the front wheel arches and at the front of the cab floor. Any tips? Both for getting the carpet up and what materials to use? I'd happily double the layers of Silent Coat if that would be helpful- given that the cab is where I sit! And that the engine and wheels are noisy. Ideally with pictures or a link to a video of a 'quick and dirty' cab floor sound insulation?

Will also fit extra door seals.

Also- any other sound insulation to help with engine noise (without removal of anything tricky). How much difference does and engine blanket make?

Of interest has anyone tested the effects of the different noise reductions with a dB meter?

What are the quietest tyres?

Thanks! Ed

I fitted an engine undertray, and that has reduced the road/wind noise somewhat. Might be worth a go.

If there was a company that did soundproofing, I'd do it in a heartbeat. And I'd go for the platinum option.

I put an engine blanket on my T5 and I couldn't tell any difference in the cab, whatsoever. I think it's the firewall between the engine bay and the cab that you need to do for the best results against engine noise.

The floor and wheel arches will make a very real difference to road noise and humming though, same with the sides and roof.

Hello, I've been busy with Silent Coat and Dodo mat around my Kombi. Just need to do the front doors and the cab floor. There are videos on door removal and I'm fairly sure I'll be able to do that- and replace the speakers. But what about the cab carpet? I realy do not want to remove either the seats or the handbrake- but I do want to insulate as much of the floor as possible- especially the wheel arches and the bulkhead to the engine. I have; 2mm silent coat, dodomat extreme and some silent coat sound killer (which I used on the bonnet). I was wondering about putting the soundkiller on the front wheel arches and at the front of the cab floor. Any tips? Both for getting the carpet up and what materials to use? I'd happily double the layers of Silent Coat if that would be helpful- given that the cab is where I sit! And that the engine and wheels are noisy. Ideally with pictures or a link to a video of a 'quick and dirty' cab floor sound insulation?

Will also fit extra door seals.

Also- any other sound insulation to help with engine noise (without removal of anything tricky). How much difference does and engine blanket make?

Of interest has anyone tested the effects of the different noise reductions with a dB meter?

What are the quietest tyres?

Thanks! Ed
Wanting to do exactly this
Any tips re removing cab Capet ?

Back