Sound deadening & lining wheel arches.

soxley

VIP Member
I’ve just placed an order placed for sound-deadening materials from deadening.co.uk (BTW the T56MODS code still works for 10% off). I’m following the Coombe Vally Campers guide as per their YouTube video (2m Silent Coat followed by Dodo Thermal Liner).

My cunning plan is to get the sound-deadening done asap and then carpet line later once I’ve sorted a bunch of electrical/audio bits.

The area I expect most challenges with is the wheel arches. Any tips on how best to approach the curved arch shape, and on cutting/application to get a smooth finish?

I’ve just placed an order placed for sound-deadening materials from deadening.co.uk (BTW the T56MODS code still works for 10% off). I’m following the Coombe Vally Campers guide as per their YouTube video (2m Silent Coat followed by Dodo Thermal Liner).

My cunning plan is to get the sound-deadening done asap and then carpet line later once I’ve sorted a bunch of electrical/audio bits.

The area I expect most challenges with is the wheel arches. Any tips on how best to approach the curved arch shape, and on cutting/application to get a smooth finish?
Don't overthink it, you don't need 100% coverage to achieve the desired results. I did mine externally, i.e by removing the wheel arch liners to allow access, but others have done internally too or instead.

It’s worth doing the steel arch but far more noise reduction is achieved by doing the all four wheel arch liners - have a search on ‘sound deadening‘ on the Forum.

I did the middle bit first, small width at the top and the length bending down over the arch, then a piece either side of that, same again but mould and cut them first before removing the backing. I found that to be enough.

It’s worth doing the steel arch but far more noise reduction is achieved by doing the all four wheel arch liners - have a search on ‘sound deadening‘ on the Forum.
Thanks. I’ll check it out.

As in the plastic liners? Had a quick look & cant find the thread you are talking about?

As in the plastic liners? Had a quick look & cant find the thread you are talking about?
I added 10mm self adhesive acoustic foam to the front arch liners today, from the top down to the rear, the front half left bare. It made a noticeable difference for very little cost and time. There was no requirement to use longer screws as cut out for the body flange and two pads on the liner.
All arches are now externally fitted with Dynamat Xtreme, rear liners completely covered with 10mm foam and front liners covered 50%.
Both doors are done with Dynamat Xtreme and 10mm foam on the cards.
Both front wings are done with Dynamat, they ring like a cymbal when bare, not sure how much was entering the cab so did them anyway.
Rest of the van was done professionally with Silent Coat and foam except the cab floor which I’ll be leaving for now.
Next I’m doing the front steps and scuttle.
I highly recommend foam coating the arch liners.

Do you mean the plastic liners? Thats interesting- any pix please?
No I don’t, have a read through this discussion. It’s very straight forward.

Heat gun to soften then butyl sheets & PTFE/nylon “Dobber” to work them into the contours - rollers can work fine if you have them, but as the look is of secondary importance , I didn’t worry about marking the foil surface & just used a plastic paintbrush handle.

Don’t forget butyl deadening effects the model response of the panel (so we don’t hear the treble when stuck) - its great but doesn’t prevent thermal heat transfer, albeit the aluminium foil will help reduce thermal radiation loss, but not conductive losses. You’ll need closed cell foams as your next layer Ideally.

Final thing - gloves & gauntlet if you have them. That foil is razor sharp………and you’ll slice yourself pushing sheets behind structure if you don’t wear long sleeves,

Hi all.

Just wondering what others have done regarding sound deadening wheel arches in the inside rear .

Also did you cover with thermal liner ?PXL_20230826_131100738.jpg

We used the thicker stuff ….Cut in to sections and make sure it’s warm …we then got lazy and had it lined :)

IMG_0425.jpeg

We do the higher parts of the arch. This also gives a better effect when carpet linned as the height of the lower parts and the higher parts is greater difference.
We don't do bottom edge as this effects floor fitting.
I'm sure the pictures will explain better than me

Screenshot_20230831_192430_Facebook.jpg

Screenshot_20230831_192459_Facebook.jpg

Back