Sound Deadening Caravelle floor between seat rails?

Has anyone used silentcoat or similar on the rear of their van whilst using or fitting caravelle seat rails.
I've searched and searched the forum but it doesn't seem to have been covered previously.
What does an original T6 Caravelle van floor look like ? is it insulated under the rails? or timber floor? I know load of fitters have stripped out caravelles during conversions so hopefully we may have an expert with a photo of the stripped out floor showing what insulation is there, I hear T6 insulation is better than T5 so maybe I can get pictures of both.
What have people previously insulated? Can you do whole floor? Do you have to leave gaps around the rails?
I am due to have rails fitted in a fortnight and would like to insulate / sound deaden as best I can prior to new rails and floor being fitted.

I'd silent coat between the rails assuming you have enough height o do that :thumbsup:

I'd silent coat between the rails assuming you have enough height o do that :thumbsup:
I assume there will be loads of height as Im not lowering the headlining as low as a caravelle headlining as I wont be using any heating ducts for the rear.

I assume there will be loads of height as Im not lowering the headlining as low as a caravelle headlining as I wont be using any heating ducts for the rear.
I think he meant height regarding getting the floor underneath the aluminium covers of the velle rails

I think he meant height regarding getting the floor underneath the aluminium covers of the velle rails
:thumbsup: Thinking about it yeah your probably right, hope i can get the imput from someone who has lifted an original Velle floor to see what they put in at the factory.

The OEM 'velle floor sits straight on top of the metal. Its honeycombed wood and around 40mm thick with carpet on the top. No need to bother with any additional insulation or sound deadening. If you did it would affect the covers of the rails as @Skyliner33 said.

The OEM 'velle floor sits straight on top of the metal. Its honeycombed wood and around 40mm thick with carpet on the top. No need to bother with any additional insulation or sound deadening. If you did it would affect the covers of the rails as @Skyliner33 said.
Thanks Deaky, I was hoping that was the case so as not to put time and effort where it's not required, if its good enough for the factory velle its good enough for me. I have to assume that the £££££££ VW spent on developing the t6 caravelle to be more car like would have seen them insulate and dead mat it where it gains the best results.

My Caravelle is quite quiet. Only really get wind noise starting over 60mph but not bad. Overall quite refined

My Caravelle is quite quiet. Only really get wind noise starting over 60mph but not bad. Overall quite refined
I have driven one and loved the in cab comfort levels. Have you had the floor up in the back at all as it was the insulation and sound deadening in caravelles that I am trying to copy. But @Deaky has covered that as they are bare metal, I'm not sure if the different builds of caravelle have different sound deadening measures.

Hi I have fitted a caravelle rail system with two seats and fitted original caravelle floor is it possible to do sound deadening the floor or will it raise the floor and cause problems?

Hi I have fitted a caravelle rail system with two seats and fitted original caravelle floor
is it possible to do sound deadening the floor or will it raise the floor and cause problems?
You can sound-deaden with SilentCoat / Dynamat etc without causing any floor raising issues provided you work between the mounting rails. When applied correctly, it’s thin enough that it won’t cause significant differences.

A layer of DodoMat etc will be too thick and will aggravate the OEM floor.

This is what’s under my Kombi conversion to California bed system. It’s a cold floor in winter but IMO it’s probably not a good idea to put material under the floor that could absorb spilt water.
1603190707681.jpeg

This seems to be the caravelle floor construction:
PXL_20210304_133152585.jpg
So boxed sections with soft foam presumably to absorb the differing height of the floor ridges, then a solid layer of the same depth above

This is what’s under my Kombi conversion to California bed system. It’s a cold floor in winter but IMO it’s probably not a good idea to put material under the floor that could absorb spilt water.
View attachment 88663

Is this a CNC’d floor with perfect cutouts for the rails? It looks very neat.

Back