[Guide] Sound Deadening and Insulation -- How To Do It --

Dellmassive

T32 204 DSG LWB SLN PV MY18 & T30 SWB KMB MY67
VCDS User
VIP Member
T6 Master
SOUND DEADENING AND INSULATION - - How To Do It - -

This is not me personally, but a great resource and detailed look into how its done, and what to use and do.

"HOW TO PROFESSIONALLY FIT SOUND DEADENING AND INSULATION TO YOUR CAMPER VAN"
"Learn how to professionally fit sound deadening and insulation to your camper van and what products to use"

Combe Valley Campers

https://www.deadening.co.uk/

More info over here > Dellmassive`s -- "how I Done It" -- Thread

just seen this from @BognorMotors

"When we do a full sound deadening job on a t6, we do;

1. Floor
  2. Doors - inner and outer
  3. Dust seals
  4. Roof
  5. Skuttle area

We use silent coat.
Looks for pics on our Facebook and Instagram to see how far we go. It works really well when the whole vehicle is done and dodo lined as well. "
View attachment 65918

Last edited by a moderator:
Best video on this I've seen. Overdoes it on the silentcoat a bit imo (full coverage = just extra weight) but well produced and basic advice is solid.

Best video on this I've seen. Overdoes it on the silentcoat a bit imo (full coverage = just extra weight) but well produced and basic advice is solid.
I have watched this and many others with a similar conclusion - do I really need 100% coverage?
Combe Valley are one of the better video's out there, I wish he produced more:)

just seen this from @BognorMotors

"When we do a full sound deadening job on a t6, we do;

Floor
Doors - inner and outer
Dust seals
Roof
Skuttle area

We use silent coat.

Looks for pics on our Facebook and Instagram to see how far we go. It works really well when the whole vehicle is done and dodo lined as well. "

1586783053909.png

Makes a massive difference doing it all, we then lay 7mm dodliner on it it, but we can go once stage further with the 13mm dodoliner and therma-fleece or similar, in the void

We run a demo vehicle if you are local and want and rive out in it to hear for yourself

I'm glad you said that as I've done pretty much every accessible square inch of outer panel (outer skin) with silent coat!
I can't see how it wouldn't help but once the most flexible central area of each panel is damped you're obviously chasing diminishing returns. I've gone for 12mm dodo on top too.

While we're talking lining, is there an issue with installing fleece type insulation in the tailgate? I recall a post where someone recommended doubling up on the dodo mat rather than fleece in this area.

Cheers.

I'm glad you said that as I've done pretty much every accessible square inch of outer panel (outer skin) with silent coat!
I can't see how it wouldn't help but once the most flexible central area of each panel is damped you're obviously chasing diminishing returns. I've gone for 12mm dodo on top too.

While we're talking lining, is there an issue with installing fleece type insulation in the tailgate? I recall a post where someone recommended doubling up on the dodo mat rather than fleece in this area.

Cheers.
The only issue I had with the tailgate is the weight issue of the extra materials on the gas struts, easily fixed with stronger struts but worth considering.
I used silentcoat about 60% coverage with Armacell closed cell foam 13mm plus Diall recycled bottle fleece in the voids. Much quieter, works well I would say.

Nice one, thank you. The struts seem more than adequate at the moment but in fairness I am yet to fit the carpetted ply panel.....

One uprated strut will sort the weight of the tailgate once you've added silent coat.

The sound deadening and insulating is such a long and drawn out job, but more effort put in here, makes such a difference.

One uprated strut will sort the weight of the tailgate once you've added silent coat.

The sound deadening and insulating is such a long and drawn out job, but more effort put in here, makes such a difference.
You can say that again! I am onto the floor, I want to insulate too, I am using silent coat and going for 90+% coverage. What would people suggest I put down next? The foam/rubber mat is going back on the front cab but looking for as much sound/insulation as I can get away with. All suggestions welcome. Thanks

In the back just the silent coat and rubber Matt is perfect. Nothing more needed

What is worth doing with the floor with insulation when fitting batons and a ply floor?

In the back just the silent coat and rubber Matt is perfect. Nothing more needed
That's confusing! I was certain that I read somewhere about silent coat leaving the standard Kombi mat too high which created gaps around the edge. I'll certainly silent coat the floor if it doesn't affect the appearance of the floor. I appreciate it's only 2mm but even so..

Going to do mine tomorrow. Got 4mm and 2mm Silent Coat arriving. Best to take out rubber floor first?

You dont need to to access everything else but obviously you will if you are doing the floor!
If you are carpeting aswell then you need to take up thresholds and door step anyway. For the sake of the 8 tie down points and the seats then it makes sense to take it out. It's not difficult or heavy and it saves damaging it. It makes life much easier trimming the bottom of the carpet too and you don't have to tuck it in while also trying to glue/stretch it at the same time!!

That's confusing! I was certain that I read somewhere about silent coat leaving the standard Kombi mat too high which created gaps around the edge. I'll certainly silent coat the floor if it doesn't affect the appearance of the floor. I appreciate it's only 2mm but even so..

Works perfectly and unnoticeable
8D2D6C3E-1DC9-4375-B8E8-6B12B8C5A633.jpeg44C69CA8-1874-4568-8B74-6C01771875C7.jpeg2176F30C-5EAD-401D-BF94-68159EBD42A1.jpeg47E3FA13-8D13-4AC8-99EA-6F124290A25F.jpegBFD48A0A-3B0B-4A9C-8E09-F016A88C7410.jpeg

Looking at doing this whilst in Lockdown.
2 Questions.
Which is best product to use?
How much do I need?
TIA

The whole van or just the floor areas?
I'm yet to do the floor but I used 120 sheets of Silent Coat to do the sides, (rear) roof and tailgate of a LWB Kombi. This included front door outer and inner skins. This is overkill but I wanted to make sure it is as quiet as possible.
I've not used Dynamat so cannot comment on how much easier to work with it is (as mentioned above) but in this recent hot weather the Silent coat is far from difficult.

Back