Some @£$@ has stolen my key...

Question is, where are you storing your key at night now?

My keys sleep with me.... Well, almost.

I once recorded a guy on our CCTV going along the street at 4 am trying every house and car door.

I once recorded a guy on our CCTV going along the street at 4 am trying every house and car door.

Oh wow!...

I'm so tempted by CCTV but it's not going to stop anyone, and the evidence (according to a police officer friend) for identification is poor and almost useless.

The police officer friend recommended fitting one of those Amazon battery operated cameras with a 2 year battery life inside the vehicle, if it's parked at home and in-range of the WiFi then all activity is immediately uploaded to the cloud. It's all about getting a clear image of their face.

Reactions: JOG
We religiously lock all our keys in key safes, our Cali cost more than our house did!
We started this with the Touareg keys as they were KESSY and the safe also provided a faraday cage to prevent relay attacks.

Reactions: Jlo
Oh wow!...

I'm so tempted by CCTV but it's not going to stop anyone, and the evidence (according to a police officer friend) for identification is poor and almost useless.

The police officer friend recommended fitting one of those Amazon battery operated cameras with a 2 year battery life inside the vehicle, if it's parked at home and in-range of the WiFi then all activity is immediately uploaded to the could. It's all about getting a clear image of their face.
Yes, but now we have community facebook etc. and you can share the details of events far easier than relying on the Police.
More houses in our street now have cctv and word soon gets among the scrotes and they stay away.

Reactions: Jlo
Yes, but now we have community facebook etc. and you can share the details of events far easier than relying on the Police.
More houses in our street now have cctv and word soon gets among the scrotes and they stay away.

Good point! love it!

I've already got a Google home setup going... might make a good addition! (It's a gadget so don't really need an excuse!)

We religiously lock all our keys in key safes, our Cali cost more than our house did!
We started this with the Touareg keys as they were KESSY and the safe also provided a faraday cage to prevent relay attacks.

Yes, that’s one thing I don’t miss about the backwards step in technology that I experienced in the T6.
I used to keep my Tiguan keys in a faraday pouch inside a biscuit tin, now I can just throw them in a drawer. :think smile bounce:

Using the latest Hikvision cameras I get from @amdowney at cctvkits.co.uk I have full-colour video of the street all through the night.

Living in rural Devon I thankfully don’t see much crime, mainly poaching, polagamy and incest.

Another benefit of Devon i guess :) Same as you!

My only real concern are car parks, I really don't want a door ding!

I just hope Vw don’t see fit to use these stupid keyless systems in the future. Scary when you see someone make off with a Range Rover without the keys.

I just hope Vw don’t see fit to use these stupid keyless systems in the future. Scary when you see someone make off with a Range Rover without the keys.

Very! I was showing my partner all those key-less entry YouTube videos when they scan the house and relay the signal back to the car. She had no idea it was so easy!

The clever marketing people realised that the technology obsessed public could be persuaded that putting a key in the ignition was just too much hard work and it could be avoided if you buy the latest vehicle with the latest technology.
So the marketing people were happy with their bonus.
The public were happy that they could show off their keyless vehicle to their friends.
The car thieves were happy as it made life easier and even if caught, the sentence was much less because they didn't get done for the burglary that they used to do in order to steal the key.
The manufacturers were happy because when your car ends up in a container bound for another country, what do you do? You buy another!
And we all pay a higher insurance premium because of it!
That's progress??? :rolleyes:

I’m too tight to replace the defective key switch on my battered A4, it has an Ebay 3 quid push button switch to activate the solenoid.
I challenge anybody to find it.
Like @DaveD says new technology doesn't result in progress, having worked in an industry for 25 years where graduate rocket scientists were trying to prove their worth by reinventing the wheel I tend to lean the other way where possible.

So just to offer a slightly different point of view, I am also very careful where I leave the keys at night. I leave them somewhere where they could not be grabbed from the front or back doors using a fishing rod for example and not in plain sight so they can't be seen by looking in through a window. However, they are somewhere downstairs that would be fairly obvious to an intruder if they started mooching around. I would never have them upstairs, let alone in the same room where I was sleeping. Once you know someone who has been broken into at night where the intruder(s) could not easily find the key downstairs so decided to come upstairs to extract it from them physically while they were sleeping and their kids were in the room next door, you will understand my point of view. I'm very precious about my van; but when push comes to shove I'm more precious about my loved ones. Hard to swallow, but if someone is canny enough to get into my house without me realising at night (no easy feat in itself as I am extremely security conscious, alarm is always set without fail, all round CCTV and all round security lighting) then I'd rather they just took the van and be gone with it as quickly as possible.

Last edited:
So just to offer a slightly different point of view, I am also very careful where I leave the keys at night. I leave them somewhere where they could not be grabbed from the front or back doors using a fishing rod for example and not in plain sight so they can't be seen by looking in through a window. However, they are somewhere downstairs that would be fairly obvious to an intruder if they started mooching around. I would never have them upstairs, let alone in the same room where I was sleeping. Once you know someone who has been broken into at night where the intruder(s) could not easily find the key downstairs so decided to come upstairs to extract it from them physically while they were sleeping and their kids were in the room next door, you will understand my point of view. I'm very precious about my van; but when push comes to shove I'm more precious about my loved ones. Hard to swallow, but if someone is canny enough to get into my house without me realising at night (no easy feat in itself as I am extremely security conscious, alarms always set without fail, all round CCTV and all round security lighting) then I'd rather they just took the van and be gone with it as quickly as possible.

Very good point!

Back