Some @£$@ has stolen my key...

Stevie K

VIP Member
Hi all,
As the title says, some shit has put their scrawny little mitt through our letterbox and robbed a set of keys out of the front door. They've been through the van and taken some stuff, which is annoying, but more concerning is that they now have a key and know where I live. I just called VW service and they're reckoning it's a grand for a new set of locks - a number which I reckon they pulled straight out of their arse - it's only two barrels and a re code.

I'm about to call my insurance company and see what they have to say, but I thought I'd reach out here and see if anyone's dealt with this. I know I can get my remaining key recoded and that prevents it getting nicked b/c of the immobiliser, but then they can still get in and steal my stuff.

I'm in Manchester if anyone has any suggestions of places to get it sorted.

Cheers.

Ah, what I dilemma.
I would de-code the key so that next time they open the door, they will have to use the blade, then the alarm goes off.

Otherwise, you need to glue up the lock as well. (noting to lose.)

What I would do to be inside the door with that arm sticking through, they wouldn’t be writing for a long time!

Ah, what I dilemma.
I would de-code the key so that next time they open the door, they will have to use the blade, then the alarm goes off.

Otherwise, you need to glue up the lock as well. (noting to lose.)
I've just thought maybe I can change the door barrel for a different key, but not use that. Then I can also change the code on my original spare. Then I can still use the clicker and original in the ignition and the only time I'll need the new key is if the battery's flat or something.

Could you consider fitting deadlocks like plumbers and other trades do?

Also have a look around the area, chances are they chucked them over a fence if they have no plans to come back

Also have a look around the area, chances are they chucked them over a fence if they have no plans to come back
Good point! Did the thieving little b@stards (sorry, I meant poor, misunderstood urchins) get your house keys as well?

That they didn’t have your van away does suggests they were more interested in the comtents, so they might have chucked your key somewhere. (I’d be very surprised at any neighbour who would object to you rummaging in their garden if you explained what happened....but, I’m a cynic and stopped being surprised some time ago!)

Hi all,
As the title says, some shit has put their scrawny little mitt through our letterbox and robbed a set of keys out of the front door. They've been through the van and taken some stuff, which is annoying, but more concerning is that they now have a key and know where I live. I just called VW service and they're reckoning it's a grand for a new set of locks - a number which I reckon they pulled straight out of their arse - it's only two barrels and a re code.

I'm about to call my insurance company and see what they have to say, but I thought I'd reach out here and see if anyone's dealt with this. I know I can get my remaining key recoded and that prevents it getting nicked b/c of the immobiliser, but then they can still get in and steal my stuff.

I'm in Manchester if anyone has any suggestions of places to get it sorted.

Cheers.

Hi, I should be able to help, give me a shout if you'd to chat 07501013408, im an autolocksmith in Bolton, ta Rob

How about a lock exchange with another van, there maybe somebody else in the same situation?

2 Second-hand door barrels with keys. You will only need the keys if you lock your remote in the van or have a flat battery.

Fit a Ghost, really quickly, then be ready for the van to start and quickly die again, then pick up the carelessly left baseball bat on the way out the door....
Great advice about the bat and the Ghost is a useful idea too!!!

I would very much like to be watching once you picked up the baseball bat. Light fingered Mo Fo.

Cheers guys, I've decided to go for an insurance claim. £250 excess to change the lot. I could have got the key recoded for £160, but I'm not keen on the idea of them coming back and helping themselves to my gear every few weeks.

A lesson to all about where we put our keys.

One wonders just how many letter boxes these vile chavs peer their scrawny eyes through before they hit jackpot.

Cheers guys, I've decided to go for an insurance claim. £250 excess to change the lot. I could have got the key recoded for £160, but I'm not keen on the idea of them coming back and helping themselves to my gear every few weeks.
Sorry that you got hit with such a bill just before Christmas, but I understand your reasoning.

Back