trouble starting after cambelt, water pump, aux belt change [Resolved]

Bobswais

trouble starting 2.0tdi cambelt? waterpump , aux belt change......

Hi guys
changed the belts and water pump, all good, drives great, no leaks!
but now wont start until 7 or 8 turns of key, and glow plug flashing ?

generic code04960 which is almost anything! but think its something to do with fuelling at start? gut feeling only?
it was at regular service, and nothing wrong prior to belt swap.

any ideas?

generic code04960
My tool (e.g OBDeleven) doesn't recognize the code 04960 as a fault code. Is that from Carista? If so could you please post Carista's "Full ECU Info" - just to see if there is more data.
Flashing code coil light definitely indicates engine fault.
EDIT:typo

Last edited:
ahhhh thank you,, it was carista... will post when back in van.... .....got 04096. everthing else clear now but still not starting as above without 10attempts !

Did you keep the timing of the High-pressure fuel pump correct? (use the correct tools to lock all the gears)

Engine
Part #: 03L906019GG
Component: R4 2,0L EDC
Coding: 01114012232400080000 (hex)
Fault codes:
04096 Manufacturer-specific code

Reactions: mmi
Engine
Part #: 03L906019GG
Component: R4 2,0L EDC
Coding: 01114012232400080000 (hex)
Fault codes:
04096 Manufacturer-specific code
Thanks. I was hoping that in the listing there would have been more/different data. I'm afraid a second opinion for fault code scan is needed - so either dealer tool or VCDS, OBDeleven, VCP.

Well tried adjusting ..fuel pump. It seems to torque up ok and looking pins in correct spot , after turning engine over . Cam shaft in same spot, but fuel pump moved a fraction. Same non start u till 8 turns of key them runs great ??

I presume there’s no sensor unplugged or wires snagged? I know on some petrols, the cam or crank position sensor can cause problems if playing up.

I presume there’s no sensor unplugged or wires snagged? I know on some petrols, the cam or crank position sensor can cause problems if playing up.
A knackered crank position sensor made my Freelander 2 diesel run a bit rough and it didn't start as quick. Changed it and the car was much smoother and started quicker.

thanks guys for all the ideas...locked the crank , cam and fuel pump, then adjusted cam crank between 1 and 2 degrees (less than one tooth on a belt anyway).... and all solved ! but took about 4 attempts. really hard to set the adjusters up with such little movement, without either going back to square one or overdoing it, even with locking pins in, now runs just great... hope that maybe helps someone else one day if faced with similar.

Back