T6.1 Android Auto - no audio [Resolved]

Deaston

T6 Pro
So I'm loving having Google Maps on the main screen in the van, but has anyone else had the following issue:

One the van is connected to the phone, I'm then unable to play any audio from the phone - Google Music, Spotify etc., say they're playing, but there's no actual audio. I can still play the radio, but as Android Auto also hijacks Bluetooth (not sure why, it's connected via USB), it's not possible to send the audio that way.

I can, however, hear instructions from Google Maps.

Anyone found a solution? I like to listen to LBC on catch-up via my phone, and I can't work out how to have both Android Auto and audio from the phone.

Android Auto also hijacks Bluetooth (not sure why,

Android Auto uses Bluetooth for telephone call audio. Hence it take over the Bluetooth connection.

Google Music, Spotify etc., say they're playing, but there's no actual audio

Are you using these apps through the android auto interface on the head unit screen?

Android Auto uses Bluetooth for telephone call audio. Hence it take over the Bluetooth connection.

Are you using these apps through the android auto interface on the head unit screen?

Whether through the head unit screen or via the phone's screen, nothing comes through.

An obvious question I know......but have you tried turning the volume up! :whistle:

The Google Maps app and media app volumes are independent.

Also check the Android Auto app settings on your phone.

An obvious question I know......but have you tried turning the volume up! :whistle:

The Google Maps app and media app volumes are independent.

Also check the Android Auto app settings on your phone.

I have! Volume for the van and phone both turned up, but no sound.

No sound from "google play music", "deezer"... while androidauto is connected to my phone. I can hear audio from "google maps" but no music from music apps.

Solution: while phone is connected to radio through AndroidAuto you can play music from SDcard... In this case radio EQ is disabled for SD media :(

The last few releases of android auto have been buggy.

Have you tried opening the music app on your phone while connected to android auto? I get it sometimes where it says playing and no sound comes out, open Spotify on the phone and it works again.

Also download the latest android auto 5.2.5, you might have to get the apk as mine wouldn't update from the playstore jobby :thumbsup:

Can you play any sound over Bluetooth without Android Auto. Trying to determine if its a Android Auto issue or a Bluetooth issue.

Android Auto uses Bluetooth for PHONE calls.

First check if you can you make phone calls OK via AA?

Can you play any sound over Bluetooth without Android Auto. Trying to determine if its a Android Auto issue or a Bluetooth issue.

Sorry, didn't see these replies. I've accidentally made two threads about the same subject. Yes, sound over Bluetooth audio works fine and, when using Android Auto, phone calls and Google Assistant work fine over Bluetooth

I've discovered the issue - the vehicle won't switch to USB audio when streaming music from the phone (and it can't be selected manually). So the phone is working fine and is sending the music, the van is getting it, but the van won't actually let you listen to it.

I worked it out by trying an iPhone first. Play some music in Car Play and the van will switch to USB Audio to let you hear it. I then plugged in an Android phone (USB Audio stayed active) and I could then hear music from the Android phone, but the van was telling me there was "no valid source" and wouldn't let me adjust the volume.

The most frustrating thing about this whole problem is that, when using Android Auto, it's impossible to stream my own music/podcasts - I can't use Bluetooth as that's been hijacked by Android Auto, I can't select USB and there's no analogue 3.5mm jack in the van. All I can do is listen to live radio.

I've contacted VW - they told me the problem is my phone and the system is guaranteed to work with Android 7. I dug out my old Samsung running Android 7 and it has the same problem. The three phones I have tried (Samsung S7, S9 and Pixel 3a) are all on VW's "Compatible Handsets" list and all connect fine, but then exhibit this same issue of no audio. The constant is the van!

I'd be interested to know if the problem is present on the upgraded system that allows wireless connection to the phone for Android Auto. Can anyone with that system confirm?

I won't be letting this one lie! At the moment I'm planning on asking VW to install the upgraded system to solve the problem.

Last edited:
THX! But what is the solution?

From my extensive playing/plugging/downloading etc., I've not found a solution/work around other than buying an iPhone (shudder). It's a bug with the van's software and I'm told my van's software is up to date and "The technical department say there is not an update available as yet and no time-scale as to when this will happen."

I've even downloaded an early version of Android Auto v5.2 which is due out in the next few weeks, and the problem is still there. The Android Auto forums are also full of this issue with the T6.1.

It's genuinely the main reason I got the T6.1 and ditched my T5.1, so I'm gutted as I mainly listen to podcasts and catch-up radio whilst driving. Can't believe I have my phone sitting in a cradle again in a brand new, £45k vehicle that boasts "complete smartphone integration"!

Last edited:
Extremely irritating, I'd go test it on a Demonstrator (if you can find one) to rule out your van completely.

Extremely irritating, I'd go test it on a Demonstrator (if you can find one) to rule out your van completely.

Have done that and can confirm the problem persists. But how can you prove the problem isn't Android?! It's a tricky one. The dealer didn't have anything that wasn't a 6.1 that had App Connect. It's tempting to just go to a VW car dealer and see if they'll let me try it on one of the cars.

Last edited:
My van has been back with the dealer and they've been liasing with VW in Germany. Turns out there is a problem, but VW aren't going to fix it. So I've got a van that was advertised as having Android Auto, but it really doesn't.

And they're still advertising it as having Android Auto, even though it doesn't work correctly.

I'm amazed more people aren't annoyed about this issue! It was a big reason I bought the T6.1.

This probably isn't helpful but when I bought my Mercedes a few years back I was told that, when using Android auto, you cannot listen to music apps because it disables bluetooth audio. I found it did work if using specific app combos... Waze and Spotify would happily work together but not Google maps and Spotify.

I don't get much out of Android auto anyway, so I just listen to Spotify using bluetooth. works perfectly with integrated controls in car as well.

In the T6.1 it uses Bluetooth for calls/directions etc, and send music audio via USB, but the van won't recognise the USB input when using Android Auto. So no music apps can be used (no Spotify, no podcasts, no internet radio, nothing).

bizarre scenario. my t6 has android auto and i can use mapping and then any other audio based app as i see fit. it would really pee me off if i had a new t6.1 that couldnt.

Back