SoLow Coilovers - Left turn shudder

Adam H

T6 Pro
I've seen this on the forums and facebook a fair bit, where at a certain drop some vans suffer from passenger side shudder when turning and accelerating in lower gears.

It's lovely and smooth once up to speed going straight and turning right.

So i've got it Hunter aligned today in hope it would help it a bit, but didnt make any difference so i've now resided to the fact its most likely the drive shaft. The fixes so i've heard is

1. Raise it a bit ( I'm probably only 15mm dropped from the max height )
2. Drop it further ( don't really want to do that as im comfortable with the currnet drop )
3. Get a shorter left side drive shaft, which apparently they stopped making as Covid hit and no one can get hold of them .

So i've been hunting around, I've found this on ebay, which looks to be what i need. Has anyone actually got one of these and did it solve the problem :

I don't want to raise or drop it as im really happy with the current height for both family camper and looking wicked.

THanks for any thoughts .

Screenshot 2022-07-14 at 14-24-45 T6dublife (@t6dublife) • Instagram photos and videos.png

Hi did you order one of these driveshafts? I too am suffering from the judder when turning left, mine tends to be above 40mph though. I thought it might be the drivers side drive shaft so I’m keen to know if this solves your problem.

Yes mate I’ve got it ( the left side ) but not fitted yet, should be fitted next week sometime

Let us know if it cures the problem. Did you get the rumble turning high speed left? Mine seems fine at low speed, just when you kick it over into the left turns

yeah low speed for me it’s fine ( now I’ve raised it slightly ) but at speed it’s like I’m constantly going over rumble strips when turning left

Really keen to find out if this cures the problem as it’s annoying me. Have you got the machined top mounts? I did the hub mod and machined top mounts too. The machined top mounts seem to trash the meyle hd top mount bearings. Had mine on less then a month and it’s already starting to sound crunchy.

Yeah I'll let you know as soon as its done mate, I'm pretty sure it will be that. If it isnt the a sub frame raise will be needed to bring the drive shafts all back inline.

I didnt change the top mounts, just put new OEM ones with new bearings etc on. Didnt hub mod either as I only wanted to go down to about 110-120mm.

Yeah I'll let you know as soon as its done mate, I'm pretty sure it will be that. If it isnt the a sub frame raise will be needed to bring the drive shafts all back inline.

I didnt change the top mounts, just put new OEM ones with new bearings etc on. Didnt hub mod either as I only wanted to go down to about 110-120mm.
Did you get the drive shaft fitted, has it cured the problem?

Hey mate, Got it fitted today. Its made it alot better, so much so going around long sweeping bends I now cant feel it at all, going slower than 30mph i cant feel it. But can feel it slightly at sharper bends around 40mph, all the rest of the time It seems fine.

When it cools down a little later im going to adjust the coilovers at the front a little, either dropping it another 5mm or raising it very sligthly as i think doing that will knock it on the head completely.
But yeah, its made a massive difference

Hey mate, Got it fitted today. Its made it alot better, so much so going around long sweeping bends I now cant feel it at all, going slower than 30mph i cant feel it. But can feel it slightly at sharper bends around 40mph, all the rest of the time It seems fine.

When it cools down a little later im going to adjust the coilovers at the front a little, either dropping it another 5mm or raising it very sligthly as i think doing that will knock it on the head completely.
But yeah, its made a massive difference
Thanks for the feedback, it’s good to know there’s a possibility of a cure. How much do you have the van lowered by?

I'm about 110-120mm down i think, not measured since the last adjustment, but when looking my drive shafts are pretty level, which is the problem, they need to be angled up or down so if you went to the extreme slammed, or wound them right up, it would likely fix it. I'm getting this problem because im basically in the high end of middle i think

Back