Solar v lithium battery

Phil3655

T6 Pro
So I have just bit the bullet and ordered a new Crafter through Hillside leisure in Derby who will convert it to my specification.
Have been told 9 month wait but expecting much longer!

They purchased through VW as they are VW registered camper van manufacturers and as such I got lots of choices to make!

The van comes with a factory fitted second 92ah AGM battery and I have selected that Hillside fit a solar panel but their selection is only for a 100w panel.

My question is if you had to chose between fitting 100w solar or upgrading the AGM battery to a lithium battery (don’t know size as not sure of space provided for AGM battery) both would cost roughly the same but which is the best use or value?

I currently have a T6 with no solar and haven’t missed not having it as I usually have short trips up to a week or so but the new van will have much more power drain and will be used for longer stays up to a month on campsites with shore power.
I have never ‘wild camped’ but may give it a go!

Any thoughts?

Lithium here too. I would personnally go for both if you could as retrofitting the solar will be a right ball ache after the conversion where as changing a battery isnt too bad BUT you will get all year round benefit from the battery over solar.
I have a 400ah Lithium with 350w solar. At the moment it is struggling to keep the battery at 100%, Come the spring and it will be 100% till Autumn from the solar.

Upgrading a battery is way easier than upgrading a stick-on solar panel so I would prioritise getting the panel right.

@Phil3655 I'm heading the same way, got a LWB TGE on order and hoping to get it converted next summer. When did you order yours? My order was confirmed at the end of August with a speculative delivery of May 2022.

Thanks for all your responses I would probably keep solar if it I could replace the factory fitted AGM battery with a lithium! Can I do this with the van Factory charging system without any further expense I wonder?
I ordered the van late October with a fixed price so hopefully that won’t change!

Thanks for all your responses I would probably keep solar if it I could replace the factory fitted AGM battery with a lithium! Can I do this with the van Factory charging system without any further expense I wonder?
I ordered the van late October with a fixed price so hopefully that won’t change!

No, the factory charging relay won't work with a lithium. If you want lithium, you need a DC-DC charger with a lithium profile. If I understand your original post correctly, you're already getting a 92Ah AGM so I wouldn't be in a huge rush to chuck this out especially as you state you're not actually into wild camping yet. I would keep the original and see how you get on, you can always upgrade the battery easily enough afterwards.

I have lithium/solar (basic) combination & and mostly off grid but usually only for 2-3 nights max at a time, never run out of power, and that’s in low light Scotland. The only downside to lithium is that apparently you’re not supposed to charge them below zero which is an issue for me as van kept outdoors. Either need to remove the battery or get van to temperature using heater before I attempt to charge it. My system is 3 years old now so things have maybe changed - had to get an isolator switch fitted as in some conditions the solar argues with Sargent unit and sends it on a beeping frenzy. If I did again I’d use solar and lithium but have the battery in a more accessible place to remove/charge and avoid Sargent.

Back