So The T6 Caught Fire

Matt bremner

VIP Member
T6 Pro
So yesterday my T6 caught fire, luckily for me I was quick and managed to find it and pull the fuse quick, rip trim out faster than that, and then cut the wire, turns out that when my van was built, who ever put the van-x light steps in decided to wire it in used normal speaker wire!!!! Amazing, so after a little time the wire had worn down and then decided to burn its self to the side of the van. Could of been a lot worse.

CCE16D47-45A3-4A57-A5D5-6D29399E52ED.jpeg

D5EA1E18-75C1-4C34-8B10-F16E78D06CFE.jpeg

81F44207-C499-4C3D-ADE2-9D0DB26A4196.jpeg

BA0A32ED-E005-4D22-9D93-CA37E69E9D7E.jpeg

Wow that’s pretty unlucky, just goes to show the importance of using proper cable and connections etc
Good to hear you got it under control and more importantly you and family weren’t caught up with anything worse !!

Hell one lucky escape..well done!. I'd now go about finding out who!. Amd advising them with a swift smack.

3AA6CF27-7C5A-4311-8EFC-B2157877E037.jpeg F5DCC0F8-5E26-4482-920D-647FCA866F43.jpeg 31322C86-00A7-4018-BC6C-1525153EF402.jpeg
So yesterday my T6 caught fire, luckily for me I was quick and managed to find it and pull the fuse quick, rip trim out faster than that, and then cut the wire, turns out that when my van was built, who ever put the van-x light steps in decided to wire it in used normal speaker wire!!!! Amazing, so after a little time the wire had worn down and then decided to burn its self to the side of the van. Could of been a lot worse.

View attachment 23326

View attachment 23327

View attachment 23328

View attachment 23329
Glad you got out and the van is ok. I feel your pain. However mine didn’t make it. Probably for the best really as it was a Peugeot, 4 months old

Alternator reverse charging by any chance?? Or the standard starter motor issue again!??
Glad to see you got out mate.

Hell one lucky escape..well done!. I'd now go about finding out who!. Amd advising them with a swift smack.
I know who built the van, and I’ve looked on there website and there still putting the footwell step lights, going to call them tomorrow and give them a chance before I name and shame them

I know who built the van, and I’ve looked on there website and there still putting the footwell step lights, going to call them tomorrow and give them a chance before I name and shame them
Passage of information is crucial for this type of hobby.. last thing you or we need is members with potential fire risks..

Passage of information is crucial for this type of hobby.. last thing you or we need is members with potential fire risks..
That’s a fare point, I will speak to them tomorrow and let’s hope mine was a one off

People are still using speaker cable to wire up things other than speakers..

Decent cable with a protective sheath doesn't cost that much.

even cheaper than rebuilding a burnt out van

Oh wow! Glad you are ok! When I was driving through Glastonbury the other week I had my cheap eBay 12v multi connection in the 12v socket and it was running the fridge ok (1st time used it) and I could smell a burning smell and next thing there was smoke! Ripped it out before I burst into flames! Very scary! Needless to say I cut the wires on it so no one who found it could use it and binned it once it had cooled down!

Is the problem here that the speaker cable used has worn with tredding on the carpet above, as it's no protective outer sheath?

The reason I ask is I have two core 0.5mm cable in my head lining. It supplies 6 LED spotlights at 1.8 watts each. So back of a fag packet calculations, allowing for resistance in the wire, reckon the 6 lights pull about 1 amp. The wire is rated at 3 amps and I'm using a 2 amp fuse. Have I got enough margin of safety or should I be ripping this wire out and replacing it with something more substantial. The wire isn't routed anywhere where it's subject to mechanical wear.

Is the problem here that the speaker cable used has worn with tredding on the carpet above, as it's no protective outer sheath?

The reason I ask is I have two core 0.5mm cable in my head lining. It supplies 6 LED spotlights at 1.8 watts each. So back of a fag packet calculations, allowing for resistance in the wire, reckon the 6 lights pull about 1 amp. The wire is rated at 3 amps and I'm using a 2 amp fuse. Have I got enough margin of safety or should I be ripping this wire out and replacing it with something more substantial. The wire isn't routed anywhere where it's subject to mechanical wear.
Afternoon buddy
Yeah because of the cheap speaker wire and where it was put it has obviously been stood on and over some time has worn and then damaged and then as per my pics tried to weld its self to the van. They have attached it to the loom of the interior lights/rear tail light fuse which they changed to fuse to 7.5amp fuse from a 15amp fuse as per what vw put in there.
If you have your lights running in the ceiling where they will never be touched and no damage caused and they are running off there own fuse then I can’t see that being a problem at all.

Back