So I looked in the engine bay..and then the oil filler

Just arrived home in a courtesy van from the dealership. My 102 is 2 yrs old and has 8500 on the clock, after numerous visits to sort out the an adblue fault and amber engine management light after 2000 miles. I now have mayo gunge on the dipstick. Tried to fob me off with an service oil change, but I stood my ground and explained, how could I check the oil level with the dipstick obscured by gunge. It's in for checks and tests now will keep you posted.
I have the same issue could not even tell if oil was low or normal with the sludge on dipstick. Did you manage to solve the issue? If so how please?

I’ve never checked this. How many people out there don’t have this problem?

I don’t, but our van doesn’t do short trips, which I suspect is the cause of emulsification in the filler cap and possibly at the top of the dipstick tube.
Emulsification of oil in the sump is really bad news.

Pete

I don’t, but our van doesn’t do short trips, which I suspect is the cause of emulsification in the filler cap and possibly at the top of the dipstick tube.
Emulsification of oil in the sump is really bad news.

Pete
It seems to be a Euro 6 thing, I haven’t heard of it occurring on Euro 5 models,

I had this when I looked! This is caused by cold air over the engine condensing water vapour in the crank case that has risen to the highest part which is the oil filler neck. As per my quip on the previous page, this was an issue on old Vauxhall Vivas, and the fix then was to redirect the cold air.

I have insulated my T6 filler neck with the foam tape that A/C engineers use to stick together lengths of foam A/C pipe insulation. I get it from Wolseley Climate Centre, and use for many things. It's super sticky 5mm insulation tape. Problem has never recurred since the insulation.

If you have this issue, you'll see the mayo is only on the front side of the filler neck too.

20210227_174732.jpg

I had this when I looked! This is caused by cold air over the engine condensing water vapour in the crank case that has risen to the highest part which is the oil filler neck. As per my quip on the previous page, this was an issue on old Vauxhall Vivas, and the fix then was to redirect the cold air.

I have insulated my T6 filler neck with the foam tape that A/C engineers use to stick together lengths of foam A/C pipe insulation. I get it from Wolseley Climate Centre, and use for many things. It's super sticky 5mm insulation tape. Problem has never recurred since the insulation.

If you have this issue, you'll see the mayo is only on the front side of the filler neck too.

View attachment 105983
Did you also have this problem on the dipstick though? When I pulled dipstick out I could not even tell the oil level it was like syrup ? I dipped it about10 times as someone said may just be in the dipstick pipe and it started to get a bit less treacle like and could start to make out oil but was not like a normal oil check. Still a bit odd.its a 19 plate with 4000 miles so very worrying.

The emulsified oil in the dipstick is quite a normal thing with these engines.
It’s because the engine is thermal coefficient in vws design, which means the positioning of the filler neck and dipstick tube doesn’t get as warm as the engine. So is subject to condensation, which is why you get the build up of emulsified oil.

Did you also have this problem on the dipstick though? When I pulled dipstick out I could not even tell the oil level it was like syrup ? I dipped it about10 times as someone said may just be in the dipstick pipe and it started to get a bit less treacle like and could start to make out oil but was not like a normal oil check. Still a bit odd.its a 19 plate with 4000 miles so very worrying.

What sort of trips do you do in the van ?
Lots of short trips will exacerbate this. Long trips will clear it out.

Pete

What sort of trips do you do in the van ?
Lots of short trips will exacerbate this. Long trips will clear it out.

Pete
Lots of short trips even worse at mo as can’t travel distance anyway.
Will it cause me problems do you know? Mostly I will only do short trips anyway

Lots of short trips even worse at mo as can’t travel distance anyway.
Will it cause me problems do you know? Mostly I will only do short trips anyway
As above, that emulsion is not in itself a problem if it is only in the filler cap and dipstick tube. And it will probably go away when the weather warms up.
The problems occur when all the oil is like that - but the cause of that would be something more serious.

Pete

@T dog Go for a good long drive hour plus then report back . As you do short trips its not getting hot and long enough.

Short trips also not good for a diesel.

No, I didn't. No mayo on the dipstick. Mine is usually used for longer motorway trips. I can only suggest lagging the dipstick tube too.

Do you have an undertray fitted? I can imagine the airflow around the front of the engine is quite different without an undertray fitted. I also now understand that the lagging on the OEM undertrays is for heat insulation, not sound insulation. Not sure how that affects this issue.

I have an aftermarket and uninsulated undertray fitted to mine.

After a catalog of EGR issues which has now been fully replaced, I've noticed mine is using a lot of oil. I've done about 3500 miles (engine has < 30k miles on it) and I had to top it up again today. Same issue as others with the white mayo. It does the odd short run when needed but nothing out of the ordinary. It's mainly used for trips away as we have a car for the shopping and day to day stuff. I've logged a call with conversion company I bought it from and see what they advise.

oil.jpg

filler cap mayo - mostly normal. . . . ( under standard driving conditions and no engine fault)

1671715471929.png

Technical background:
Because of its high efficiency the engine EA288 has low waste heat. As a result, the temperature is too low for
the water in the filler neck to evaporate. The big temperature difference of the filler pipe/cap to the remaining
system/oil circuit leads to increased condensed water formation on the filler neck/cap. The resulting emulsion (of oil and steam) is deposited as oil sludge.

On the EA288 engine in the Caddy, T6 and Crafter the filler neck/cap is positioned directly in the air flow (no
engine cover panel). This assists the condensate formation.
Production change
-

Measure
Explain the following background to the customer:

The big temperature difference of the filler pipe/cap to the remaining system/oil circuit leads to increased
condensed water formation on the filler neck/cap.
The emulsion on the filler pipe/cap is must therefore be regarded as normal. A repair is not necessary.
But the emulsion can also be caused by external water supply, therefore the following points must be observed.

• To rule out other causes check the oil and coolant level.

Here's what I've been told from the dealer.

"The mechanic said that the sludge in the cap could be down to condensation getting in the oil cap so it could just need a new seal / cap itself."

"The mechanic said that the sludge in the cap could be down to condensation getting in the oil cap so it could just need a new seal / cap itself."
That’s incorrect, so save yourself the cost of a new cap and leave it be.

I suggest you don’t go back to that dealer / mechanic. The crankcase pressure is higher than atmospheric with the engine running, not sure how they determined that moisture is getting in through the cap?????
If the cap doesn’t seal you would have oil over the engine.
The moisture that’s causing the emulsification has entered the engine through the induction and the blow-by gases have condensed in the coolest and highest part of the engine.
Not ideal in any engine / lubrication system but VW have convinced themselves and many owners that it is ‘normal’.
Take the van for a long run with enough engine load to get the oil temperature over 100 degC and most of the moisture should be flashed off through the crankcase ventilation system.

Yeah I cottoned on to the brush off from the dealer. I did a run from Newcastle to York this week so it's had a good run. It drives fine but I'm keeping an eye on the situation.

Back