So first I was buying a van, now I'm building a van

VinylArchie

T6 Pro
So came very close to buying a van for £32,000. A lot of money in anybodies books. Two hours driving to see it and he had sold it.Shame it looked gorgeous and was going to get the guy to build me one but eventually I was starting to have my suspicions about the converter. At best he was just incredibly flakey, at worst the van I saw was a honey trap to get punters in.
Anyway it was a sporty looking number but basically started off life as a very very basic looking van. Looking around the secondhand market I just don't see much that I like so after some friends encouraging me to build and initially being dead set against the idea I am 90% of the way to giving the project the go ahead. Now people seem to be telling me im going to save a fortune but as you can guess it aint gonna work like that, I just can't do low spec and im learning how the van I was lusting after was actually pretty crap in many ways. So it would be nice if I spent less but im not too bothered if I don't and I have come to realise I am less bothered by exterior finish than what it is built with. Firstly im going to try for a T30 150ps highline panel van. Would like a tailgate but cant see many at a good price. Think the van I looked at had a west dubs pop top but I'm thinking the new skyline with scenic canvas and other add ons. And beds, well now I have looked I don't see how I can do anything but buy a rib? The others just don't look flat enough for a good kip.
Can anyone suggest where, if anywhere I can save money instead of just spending more and more. Looking at wiring from Rane automotive. Are "kits" efficient ways of buying things or should I be looking to buy as many components individually? Any tips or advice would be massively helpful.

Back