Snowfoam- what's the deal with it?

CRD

T6 Guru
Has anyone used it and how does it improve the washing experience over a bucket and sponge? @T6dder, I see you use it- opinion?

It removes / softens the dirt and grit first before you touch your bodywork with a cloth. So reducing the chances of scrutches. Plus it smells very nice :)

I caught my neighbour taking a photo of me washing mine last week! Sadly it was an old man who was just fascinated by it and not a young lady on a diet coke break!

I use it but only when the car or van is pretty mucky; as mentioned it softens the dirt.
Then cleaning is far less abrasive.

The main thing is to keep rinsing your wash mitt (don't use a sponge!) with a second bucket of fresh water; a grit guard at the bottom is even better.

The aim is to reduce any chances of scratching and/or swirling. The dirtier your car, the more you need to rinse.

I do a lot of fairly geeky cleaning/detailing as have a garage full of products. While I like having clean, shiny vehicles my main aim is to make regular washing easier and to protect them.

It doesn't have to take all day; a few simple steps and you'll look after your paint properly and make it easier to look after.

One of my biggest pet hates when cleaning is removing tar spots. Has anyone fitted mud flaps and have they helped prevent them?

We had mud flaps on the last Cali; they caught on things and were a pain to clean. I gone without on this one and am not noticing any more muck on the paint.

Good tar removers like IronX work well.

Reactions: CRD
A good clay (Bilt Hamber) and polish (I love Dodo Supernatural Hybrid polish and sealant in one) would help a lot.

Mine came with mud flaps no tar spots so far and being white would show up!
The mud flaps aren't very big just enough to to keep crap off the paintwork.

A good clay (Bilt Hamber) and polish (I love Dodo Supernatural Hybrid polish and sealant in one) would help a lot.
Can you give be advice on Clay Bars? I've always heard about them but never used one.

What stage of the clean do you use it?
Do they need cleaning themselves?
Are there different grades/prices?

I use meguiars clay bar with meguiars spray detailer, you work the clay bar with your fingers to soften it up, lavishly spray the paintwork with detailer then rub the paintwork in circular motions and it's amazing as it lifts the tar off. You then fold the clay over to get a clean spot and repeat. You use it when you lightly drag your fingers across clean paintwork and feel the spots of tar etc.

@T6dder ; yep they come in different forms.
Basically you're deep cleaning the paint; getting rid of oxides and ingrained dirt so usually no need to do it when new (but some still do). But it must still be done right after washing the van.

I use Bilt Hambers soft clay partly because you can use water as a lube; the paint MUST be moistened with water or spray lube (depending on what type you use).

You take a small lump, flatten it then gentlest rub bit over the paint; it'll soon look surprisingly dirty. Then reshape it and carry on until it's quite mucky; then use some more.

The paint then needs re-sealing; I use the polish and sealant mentioned which is brilliant; easy to use, great finish.

Once done, the paint does look incredible.

I do it about once a year on the BM and van. I don't bother with the poor Subaru!!

You can also now get a clay cloth which is so much easier than a clay bar

If it helps Farecla G3 clay mitt from Halfords is what I use. Works a treat... Loads of great reviews if you go online

Anyone used any of the iron dissolving gels? Supposed to break down any iron deposits on the paintwork before sealing it. Was thinking of doing this to my caravelle when I take delivery.

Back